Italy..please help

Emmasz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky
My Location
italy
Ok I've no idea really as to what I'm doig but my husband and I installed our 1.2 metre dish but can't seem to get a signal.
We live in northern Italy. The decoder works as we tried it out at a friend's place last week. We pointed the dish at 28.2E (Astra2)at an elevation of 35.3 We tried to get the .3 but the markings on the dish were not so precise. We tried all afternoon and just couldn't get a signal. There were no instructions on how to set up the Lnb apart from the guy in the shop who told me which way it should go.
Ifafter an entire afternoon we don't succeed, could there be a more complicated problem? The mounts for the dish are dead straight so it isn't the dish that's off. Can anyone out there give me any advice?
I would be ever so grateful.
Thanx
E

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi,

Not sure what channels you are after, but your 1.2m dish may be a bit on the small side to receiver the normal UK BBC, ITV etc channels as they are on Astra 2D, which is intended for the UK only.

EDIT:
(I take it that you are in Northern Italy judging by your dish elevation?, so you may be OK for 2D.)

You shouldn't have a problem on the Astra 2A south beam though.

Two channels for example that are on 2A are BBC News and Parliament,
with a frequency of 11854H, symbol rate 27500 FEC 2/3.

It is not normally possible to setup a dish by using the scales. It will need careful adjustment for maximum signal strength.

How do you know the dish is pointing at 28E, if you have no signal? How did you align it to that?

Robbo:)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, I agree, a 1.2m dish is nigh impossible to align to a satellite by measurement only, as it needs to be within 1 degree of the satellite. You will either need to bring out a portable TV so that you can see the signal measurements on the receiver, or buy a small satellite meter, probably not more than a dozen Euros and adjust the dish using these.

Emmasz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky
My Location
italy
Thanx for your posts.

errm well I got a compass and found 28.2E.. I also printed a google picture by typing in my address. It gave me the direction in which the dish should face. So with that and a compass I thought I could do it... wishful thinking I suppose??
A friend of mine has a 1 metre dish and gets astra 2d, which is what I want too. He said a 1.2 mt dish would be just fine so I think that size is ok as I reaad up on internet too.
I didn't realise how sensitive it all is. I just thought if I sat downstairs and my hubby moved it, we would find something sooner or later, so that's what we did,, except we found nothing !!
We then tried with a portable tv basically a mt away from the dish so he could see for himself but the signal was non existant!!
I'll look into buying one of those satellite meters then. How much should it cost to get someone in to do it do u reckon???
Thanx so much to u both for your help.
Emi

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
I don't think it should cost very much to get someone to align it for you, for any competent satellite installer it would be a very quick and easy job.

Might be worth you posting a picture of your setup as it stands, so that we can check that there is nothing obvious wrong. It's amazing the funny things people do sometimes.:)

The compass and using the scale on the back of the dish alignment method will not work.

It is worth giving it another go by using the satellites to get your alignment correct.

With your receiver, and a good view of the TV screen, monitor the signal quality on a known strong transponder, ( the one I posted above should be good), then carefully and steadily swing the dish from one side to the other until you get a peak in the signal quality. Then do a scan of the transponder and check that you get the right channels. If you don't succeed at first, adjust the elevation slightly and try again. Once you are roughly aligned you may wish to make a final adjustemnt on a weaker transponder, like one of the 2D ones.

I admit, I used to use a meter, but got cheesed off with it, now I just use my receiver. Cheapo meters cost about £10, known as satellite finders.

:)

irart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Freesat in UK,
Astra 1 ana/dig in UK
using Technomate -5000 DAPCI,
Astra 2 South Beam and Eurobird in Spain.
My Location
Cornwall, UK
One small point worth mentioning, have the "f" connectors been fitted correctly. I mention this as it was a mistake I made the first time I tried to set up a satellite dish. I hadn't positioned the copper braid correctly!

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
irart said:
One small point worth mentioning, have the "f" connectors been fitted correctly. I mention this as it was a mistake I made the first time I tried to set up a satellite dish. I hadn't positioned the copper braid correctly!

Yes, good point:)

Google for "How to fit f conectors to coaxial cable", and the 1st hit brings up a nice little guide with pictures.:)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not keen on that guide, don't like the twisting of the outer braid for one, as it potentially leaves an air gap up through the connector body, thus requiring the slapping on of silicone grease, which contrary to what the guide says, has little or no influence on the performance or survival of the connection, if suitable weatherproofed when connected to the LNB.

A good installation is wrapped in self amalgamating tape afterwards, which will maintain the connection in perfect condition for many years, I have removed the tape from many a 10 year old (sometimes older) installation, to reveal a brand new "F" connector and bright shiny copper braid .

My picture guide for the fitting of a compression connector is fine for use with a screw on "F" connector, I will add some photos to it in the near future .

benidormgary

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sigh-only Sky for now-Im back in the UK.......
My Location
Blackpool(Ex-Benidorm and Paignton)
Robbo71 said:
I don't think it should cost very much to get someone to align it for you, for any competent satellite installer it would be a very quick and easy job.

Might be worth you posting a picture of your setup as it stands, so that we can check that there is nothing obvious wrong. It's amazing the funny things people do sometimes.:)

The compass and using the scale on the back of the dish alignment method will not work.

It is worth giving it another go by using the satellites to get your alignment correct.

With your receiver, and a good view of the TV screen, monitor the signal quality on a known strong transponder, ( the one I posted above should be good), then carefully and steadily swing the dish from one side to the other until you get a peak in the signal quality. Then do a scan of the transponder and check that you get the right channels. If you don't succeed at first, adjust the elevation slightly and try again. Once you are roughly aligned you may wish to make a final adjustemnt on a weaker transponder, like one of the 2D ones.

I admit, I used to use a meter, but got cheesed off with it, now I just use my receiver. Cheapo meters cost about £10, known as satellite finders.

All excellent advise!.Especially if you are using a standard Sky digibox.I always use a FTA box to set up with -,its much easier.It will respond instantly giving you a picture,unlike a Sky receiver that takes a few seconds to lock on,by which time you have probably "wafted" past the satellite without realising you had it!.And,unless you know a little about "default"transponders (for Sky its 11778v)or how to put another in,its worth it to pay an installer.I do raise my hat to you both though for your enthusiasm!:)

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
rolfw said:
Not keen on that guide, don't like the twisting of the outer braid for one,

Wish I'd known that before, I have done all mine that way (less the grease).:-rofl2

Emmasz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky
My Location
italy
Thanks Robbo for your help.
We amazingly succeeded this evening and found the signal!!! I still don't know how we managed, I just think it was a stroke of beginner's luck!!!
It just seemed to happen all at once. So here I am as happy as pie me, myself and I with uk tv!!!!
Thanks for your help
Emi

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Well Done:-handclap

Glad you got it sorted. Once you have done it a few times it is usually straightforward for a dish of that sort of size.:)

Emmasz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky
My Location
italy
Good idea about the self amalgamating tape though. Do I wrap it around the point where the cable goes into the Lnb?
Only trouble I'm having is I can't seem to pull myself away from the tv. It's so nice having uk tv after 12 years without!!
Emi

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Yeah, wrap around any exposed metal.The stuff welds to itself only,and works if you stretch it a little as you go. It needs a sharp blade to remove.:)

Glad you're enjoying some UK TV. I only tend to watch foreign stuff myself:-rofl2. But I would miss UK programmes if I couldn't have them.

Emmasz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky
My Location
italy
Hey Robbo,
Was wondering if you can recommend a good wireless av transmitter so i can watch sky on a second tv??? I looked into the phillips slv3220 and the reviews were very mixed so I'm a bit confused as to what brand to look at now. There are so many out there.
The signal would have to go from one room to another on the same floor (we live in an apartment) There are only about 10, 11 metres around the walls or through two rooms (about 3,4 metres in all)...if that makes sense.. Anyway, if you have any advice that would be great.
Thanks a lot
Emi

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
No, I know naff all about wireless AV transmitters.:) I use the RF out on the back of my box to send to the other rooms with coax. You are probably best off starting a new thread in one of the other sections.:)

Robbo

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
Emmasz said:
Hey Robbo,
Was wondering if you can recommend a good wireless av transmitter so i can watch sky on a second tv???
Emi
Wireless a/v senders have been rendered almost useless in recent years following the widespread use of wireless routers for internet access.
If there is one nearby, (even in a neighbour's house) the a/v sender is always badly affected, as they use the same frequencies.

Emmasz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky
My Location
italy
Yeah, I'd heard that but was hoping there was a good one out there that maybe cost a little more but was more efficient... What would be the other solution? A double Lnb???
Thanks for your advice.
Emi

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Yes, a TWIN LNB and another box is a much better and more flexible solution.
Although more costly obviously.Especially if you have a Sky subscription, but cheap if you only want FTA and can get a 2nd hand box, or a general purpose FTA box locally.
You would need to run a new cable to the 2nd box. A cheaper option would be to use the UHF output of the box instead and run that to the other TV.

Emmasz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky
My Location
italy
o..Thanks for all your help. I was hoping the wireless would work buut now have lots of doubt. I really don't want to get another box as like I said before I live in Italy and it was such a faff getting it over here... Seen as we live in an apartment running another cable would look unsightly as there would be no way to hide it, it would show somewhere along the way...so I'll see. But thanks again for your advice.
Emi