It'll never work!!!

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Or will it? ;)

This is my latest random creation, made from a foil pie dish and the copper cores from 13amp (I think) mains cable, and a bit of solder to hold it all together... :D

So what is it I hear you ask... :D

Well, it's basically a parabolic(ish) reflector for a USB WiFi stick, specifically my new Netgear WiFi adaptor... :D

So, enjoy... :D

Attachments

• piedish.JPG
    piedish.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 44

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Well...does it work?

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
PoloMint said:
Well...does it work?

Dunno, I left my laptop at my mum's when I made it, and I haven't got a working PC at home at the moment, but chances are, no... :D

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Since the frequency of Wi-Fi stuff is (considerably ) lower than that of Ku band, you can safely dispense with parabolics as being the only/best way to go.

Dipoles are on par with antennas at S band, and somewhat cheaper to make, and transmission theory (at least the stuff I worked with a few decades back) allowed some work with Heinz when dealing with sub 3 GHz signals.

http://www.tresselt.de/wlan.htm

A search of 'corner room' antennas and even 'bean can' devices for Wi-Fi will bring up loads of answers, but very few will allow full forward gain to ensure two way internet from your neighbours wireless network a mile away, even if their password is set to 'password' default. (but you can but try):-rofl2

By the way, I get at least least one or two hackers a day who appear on the monitor with a login of their own laptop /operating system and nice confidential material from their desktop folders and stick around for an hour or so, trying to get bandwidth for nothing. None so far have got further than raising the firewall to Defcon 3

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Whatever that site says, I'm sure it's very interestng, however, I don't do German....O-no

I like the look of that CD-reflector though... :D

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
The Yagi system looks easy to try :)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Guess what, it was bloody rubbish!!! :D

The stick has a connector inside next to what I believe is the antenna, it's similar to the antenna connector on mini-PCI wifi cards in laptops, so it's just a case of finding out if it is the same then I can attatch a home-made antenna to it... :D

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hmm, after reading a link which I got through one of the over-sized ads I think that the connector inside the USB stick may be a MMCX connector, I'll have to get the ol' ruler out and check the sizes.... :D

_http://www.rfcastle.com/rf-MMCX003.asp

Could be just MCX though... :S

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
What exactly are you trying to achieve with the stick ?

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Channel Hopper said:
What exactly are you trying to achieve with the stick ?

As much distance as possible, my old house had near-LOS (I could see the roof from my old bedroom window) with my mum's house (where I get me broadband access), and if I can get it to link to a failry distant wifi network then I could share my mum's BB accross town and save money on getting my own BB in my new house... :D

But I have a feeling I'll either need a PCMCIA or PCI card to achieve this though... :(

And I was told by asdigi (he forgot is password again!!!) that the WG111T is very good for distant networks without any aids...

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Have you thought about trying a minidish?

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
rolfw said:
Have you thought about trying a minidish?

Yep, but my mum doesn't want a minidish (for any purpose) stuck on the side of her house... :D

A Cantenna is the best option for me really as that could go up on the chimneystack both here and at my house, but it's a case of braving the height at which both of them are (and mine has an alleyway below it to add to the, erm, "fun" of going up on the roof!!), but I haven't had a chance to see if I still have LOS between my new house and here yet, as that involves nipping up onto the roof... :D