ITV digital vs Pace 99 pounder

dishdoctor

Hmm, now what seems to be the problem?
Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
Will,in the opinion of all you learned readers out there,be a valid reason to buy a Pace 99 pound stb,when you will be able to buy a ITV Digital box for 9 pence ha"penny from your local bootsale!.Both systems use the same or very similar innards,both are upgradeable to Seca 2,and probably the ITV box will be better in the long run.Post your thoughts..........Best of luck...Brian

dishdoctor

Hmm, now what seems to be the problem?
Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
Another thought,do you remember when BSB went belly up,you could buy the receiver boxes thru the trade for 5 pounds each,and sometimes with a squariel included,then some bright spark converted the Dmac receiver to D2mac,and we all used them to decode those foreign chanels.Wait a minute,if i keep this idea to myself i will be a millyonaire this time next year.Not a spelling mistake,read as del boy would say it...............Brian

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Brian, or is it Dave as Trigger would call you :)

I don't think that longer term there will be as many ITV Digital boxes for sale, the only ones that are being hawked at the moment are from the quick buck merchants scared that they'll get stuck with a worthless box. Your average punter will probably still want to keep their box to view the existing FTA and anything else that is likely to turn up.

There are also a lot of people who have been waiting for the FTA boxes to be released, not wanting pay TV, probably out of principle, but looking for a little extra viewing. I wouldn't mind betting that Pace have put their production run on hold until they find out how current events will affect the market.

Then of course there are the other manufacturers who have held up the launch of their boxes, because they're "Not sure there will be the demand for free digital services", may be more the case that there may not be the demand for a FTA only box at a £140 when the FTA and PPV capable Pace box will be only £99 or so.

Rolf

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 29-Mar-02 AT 09:10 PM (GMT)]The attached link shows the specification of the new Nokia FTA box, seems a more comprehensively equipped unit.
http://www.nokia.com/multimedia/freetoview/tech_specs.html

Rolf

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Nokia looks good.

Any idea on price?

Regards

W.H.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
No, there's no mention anywhere, although original estimates were in the region of £150.

rolf

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
There are plenty of maufacturers just waiting a secure content of programming before releasing DVB-T receivers into the UK, most stop just the other side of the channel

At the moment (not surprisingly) they are rather hesitant to appoint a dealer network

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yep, once the old bandwaggon starts rumbling along they'll be jumping on from all directions. It may be the brave vanguard who takes the Poop though.

Rolf

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Reminds me of the saying

How does one make a small fortune in the telecommunications industry ?

Start with a large one

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Original brand new boxes for sale at £99 via this link.

https://www.linkonline.co.uk/shopping/productinfo.asp?ProdCode=DTR730

Rolf

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
If these are the original OD spec units then they have the hidden PCMCIA slot at the back.

A steal if any provider on the DVB-T platform has the ability to upgrade the box over the air to enable the slot. If Pace do the same as many of the integrated TV manufacturers have done, and quietly drop the model from their records in twelve months then it will simply become an FTA box.

One wonders if there is something serious afoot with continued use of mediaguard encryption in light of the '60% off', 'must shift everything today', carpet warehouse selling technique. This type of store would not normally discount below cost price unless they knew something over the horizon

Anyone know if the newer FTA boxes work any faster than the first generation ?

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
By the way elsewhere on the site the Nokia 9850 is also discounted by 60% to (yes youve guessed), £99

Mmmmmm Decisions decisions !

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello All

I'm tempted by the LinkOnline offer above.

1. Does anyone have any experience of dealing with them.

2. How are they able to SELL DTT Boxes. I thought they could only be rented.

Regards

W. Hole

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello All

Update :

LinkOnline no longer have this item in stock.

'It should have been removed from the database some time ago!

They do not have any other ITV Dig. boxes in their catalogue either.

Back to the drawing board.

Regards

W. H.