I've decided to go motorised...

spleech

Reaction score
I currently have a Humax 5300 Aston S*ca and Magic CAMS. On a fixed 60cm dish pointing at Astra 19.2E which works well on freeXTV and some other channels.

I am in the South West (Devon).

I was going to get a dual monoblock LNB for Hotbird as well, but I thought it cannot be too difficult to go motorised surely?

Apart from an 80cm dish what would I need? Is it just a motor?

would this do?

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=SE00595&N=401

How are these powered?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
spleech said:
How are these powered?

The motor takes its power through the coaxial cable from the receiver if it is DiSEqC compatable - is the Humax?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Yep. That'll work.

Have a good shop around though. That's a very cheap price, but you get what you pay for. The Moteck SG2100 and STAB120 are the two most popular motors.

Can be had for a good price from the Netherlands and Germany (around £60 delivered).

Can supply some URL's if you're interested. I'm not affiliated in any way with them.

spleech

Reaction score
BGonaSTICK said:
Yep. That'll work.

Have a good shop around though. That's a very cheap price, but you get what you pay for. The Moteck SG2100 and STAB120 are the two most popular motors.

Can be had for a good price from the Netherlands and Germany (around £60 delivered).

Can supply some URL's if you're interested. I'm not affiliated in any way with them.

yes please

thanks

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
if your gonna add a motor to your system and you only have an 80cm dish,the stab100 is also a good choice for motor.a little bit cheaper than the stab120,but just as good.

TWAG

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
spleech said:
I currently have a Humax 5300 Aston S*ca and Magic CAMS. On a fixed 60cm dish pointing at Astra 19.2E which works well on freeXTV and some other channels.

I am in the South West (Devon).

I was going to get a dual monoblock LNB for Hotbird as well, but I thought it cannot be too difficult to go motorised surely?

Apart from an 80cm dish what would I need? Is it just a motor?

would this do?

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=SE00595&N=401

How are these powered?

Hi Spleech
If i were you I would go for a bigger dish and up to 120 HH motor. If the cash were no problem. Have a look at which Sats you would like to view and work out what size dish you would like. Better than getting a smaller one and find out you cant get them in. You might want to view 1w for instance and 80cm wont pull these in.

spleech

Reaction score
twag42 said:
if your gonna add a motor to your system and you only have an 80cm dish,the stab100 is also a good choice for motor.a little bit cheaper than the stab120,but just as good.

TWAG
Thanks TWAG,

Looking at the install guides they (motors) seem to be complicated to set up.... are they? (I am fairly handy)

What sort of money do professional installers charge?

At the moment my dish is pointing towards Astra and is as 'far left' as it will go, is this wall suitable for the motorised set-up?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
spleech said:
Looking at the install guides they (motors) seem to be complicated to set up.... are they? (I am fairly handy)

Not that complicated if you follow the guides found here - most important to get the mounting pole vertical - exactly!

spleech said:
What sort of money do professional installers charge?

Could be a couple of hundred to get it done correctly - you will get it cheaper you pays your money...

spleech said:
At the moment my dish is pointing towards Astra and is as 'far left' as it will go, is this wall suitable for the motorised set-up?

If it 28.2 East, you're talking about, then that should be OK as the main sats are between that and 30 deg West. Check your dish will be Ok to turn that far West and has a clear line-of-sight between.

My advice would be to try it yourself and if you hit problem come back and someone here will help.

That said, the professionals (should) have the expensive equipment to speed up the installation if money is not a concern.

spleech

Reaction score
john_graydon said:
Hi Spleech
If i were you I would go for a bigger dish and up to 120 HH motor. If the cash were no problem. Have a look at which Sats you would like to view and work out what size dish you would like. Better than getting a smaller one and find out you cant get them in. You might want to view 1w for instance and 80cm wont pull these in.
Thanks John,

I will bear that in mind.

I seem to be lucky here in Devon, I currently have a 60cm (soon to be replaced) but that puts the signal off the scale on Astra!

spleech

Reaction score
gameboy said:
If it 28.2 East, you're talking about, then that should be OK as the main sats are between that and 30 deg West. Check your dish will be Ok to turn that far West and has a clear line-of-sight between.
Thanks for the reply Gameboy.

The Astra I'm on is 19.2E (and that is far left on my wall)

should I be looking at a different wall?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
_http://www.videowinkel.nl/winkels/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=29_44&products_id=40

and

_http://www.hm-sat-shop.de/14.esw?PHPSESSID=e0cdebd060bc38abf150d68e5371fbbc

are two places that I've bought from with no probs. The latter is more expensive, but cheaper delivery/charges. The first charges some extra for Paypal I think. Still about £20 cheaper overall than from UK AFAIK.

There is another German firm, which I can't remember for the life of me. Have a search on the forum for STAB, Moteck and SG2100.

STICK

spleech

Reaction score
BGonaSTICK said:
_http://www.videowinkel.nl/winkels/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=29_44&products_id=40

and

_http://www.hm-sat-shop.de/14.esw?PHPSESSID=e0cdebd060bc38abf150d68e5371fbbc

are two places that I've bought from with no probs. The latter is more expensive, but cheaper delivery/charges. The first charges some extra for Paypal I think. Still about £20 cheaper overall than from UK AFAIK.

There is another German firm, which I can't remember for the life of me. Have a search on the forum for STAB, Moteck and SG2100.

STICK
Thanks indeed

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
spleech said:
Should I be looking at a different wall?

If you don't get to 28.2 East you'll miss out on the FTA BBC etc and possible ITV will go FTA also.

What are your options?

spleech

Reaction score
gameboy said:
If you don't get to 28.2 East you'll miss out on the FTA BBC etc and possible ITV will go FTA also.

What are your options?
can I get those on my old on Digital box anyway?

can I stop it at it's furthest left point (and miss the sats to the left of that)?

can I stick it on a pole that sticks out furthur from the wall, so it can go furthur left?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
spleech said:
can I get those on my old on Digital box anyway?
Yes - but you also get all the regional variations with satellite
can I stop it at it's furthest left point (and miss the sats to the left of that)?
Yes, again you gan set limits on the motor itself or in software from the receiver
can I stick it on a pole that sticks out furthur from the wall, so it can go furthur left?
The dish will be further out as soon as you add the motor but you should consider mounting the pole on a twin bracket which moves it out also.

See this attachment from Rolfw....

http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1278

spleech

Reaction score
gameboy said:
Yes - but you also get all the regional variations with satellite

Yes, again you gan set limits on the motor itself or in software from the receiver

The dish will be further out as soon as you add the motor but you should consider mounting the pole on a twin bracket which moves it out also.

See this attachment from Rolfw....

http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1278

cheers

that pic has explained a lot to me, I think I can get away with it. Does the receiver (humax 5300) auto position the dish?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
spleech said:
Does the receiver (humax 5300) auto position the dish?

As far as I know, once you programme in (find) the sats, and store them, the receiver will automatically go to that position.

Not that big a problem if you set-up is OK.

Remember the most important bit - get the pole vertical and you're well on your way!

spleech

Reaction score
gameboy said:
As far as I know, once you programme in (find) the sats, and store them, the receiver will automatically go to that position.

Not that big a problem if you set-up is OK.

Remember the most important bit - get the pole vertical and you're well on your way!

excellent, will do, I shall let you know of my progress. thanks