I've got a squarial!!!!

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Yep, a proper BSB DMAC squarial!!! :D

Cost me £26 on eBay, but it was worth putting me into poverty (£10 left to last me till next wednesday!!! :eek: ), so been fiddling with it, have taken it apart, put it back together again, had 2 bits left over so took it apart again and refitted them, put it back together again, and sat it next to my Attisat... :D

Now, how to retune it so I can pick up the odd channel on Hispasat...

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
A 50cm circular polarised dish receiving linear polarised channels from Hispasat (from Lancashire).

Good luck

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Channel Hopper said:
A 50cm circular polarised dish receiving linear polarised channels from Hispasat (from Lancashire).

Good luck

Erm, it's not one of the dishes, it's the Squarial, the Flat Plate Antenna!!!!:-rofl2

Besides, I'm sure I can find some circular channels, been mucking about with my nokia and it looks like it can handle Circular polarisation....

And then there's the little PCB I extracted from a Sharp minidish LNB, might try and fit that... :D

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
2cvbloke said:
Erm, it's not one of the dishes, it's the Squarial, the Flat Plate Antenna!!!!:-rofl2

I didn't say anything to the contrary

2cvbloke said:
Besides, I'm sure I can find some circular channels, been mucking about with my nokia and it looks like it can handle Circular polarisation....

See first post ;)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Best of British mate, do let us know if you snag anything though.

(you forgot to add indoors CH)

L.:)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
2cvbloke said:
Yes you did!!! :D

Well, we'll see what's out there... ;) :D

B*gger all circ polarisation nowadays above Europe. Try one of the very strong linear polarisations instead - you are going to lose over half the signal due to the wrong type of polarisation. Try the froggie analogues on 5W to begin with.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Analoguesat said:
B*gger all circ polarisation nowadays above Europe. Try one of the very strong linear polarisations instead - you are going to lose over half the signal due to the wrong type of polarisation. Try the froggie analogues on 5W to begin with.

I wqas reading some Lyngsat frequencies and they're mostly pointed towards the americas, so you're right...:(

Any suggestions on frequencies? Also how to translate the LNB LO frequency into a tuneable frequency on my Pace MSS1000 (which for some reason I have to adjust the frequencies by -849Mhz in order to pick anything up) so I can get the box setup before I wiggle my squarial around? :D

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
2cvbloke said:
I wqas reading some Lyngsat frequencies and they're mostly pointed towards the americas, so you're right...:(

Any suggestions on frequencies? Also how to translate the LNB LO frequency into a tuneable frequency on my Pace MSS1000 (which for some reason I have to adjust the frequencies by -849Mhz in order to pick anything up) so I can get the box setup before I wiggle my squarial around? :D

You should be able to set the lnb frequency - I can on my MSS 100. You need to play with the settings in the menus somewhere.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Analoguesat said:
You should be able to set the lnb frequency - I can on my MSS 100. You need to play with the settings in the menus somewhere.

I can set LNB settings, but there are few to choose from, can't even get the right settings for my Universal LNB's!!! As for the Squarial's LNB, would it be able to pick up something in the 12ghz range? (I suppose it could as you managed to get a signal from 5W)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Yes - its an old Telecom band lnb (11-12GHz) Try 10770 see if it works... Its a starting point

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Cuatro still transmits on analogue from Hispasat
12591 Horizontal.

Try a standard dish first, store the frequency in the Pace, then connect the squarial and look at frequencies between 150 and 250MHz away

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Channel Hopper said:
Cuatro still transmits on analogue from Hispasat
12591 Horizontal.

Try a standard dish first, store the frequency in the Pace, then connect the squarial and look at frequencies between 150 and 250MHz away

Is that +150-250Mhz or -150-250Mhz??? :D

I did try to search for Cuatro with the squarial on my MSS1000, but couldn't find a sausage, so I set up my Attisat on my tripod to get some positions for the squarial sorted out, so I'll have a go again tonight, but then there's the Skew, can't be done easily on the squarial or my tripod...:(

Anyway, 'tis all bout trial and error, and if it doesn't work, chuck it in the cupboard for a year and try again later... :D

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
2cvbloke said:
but then there's the Skew, can't be done easily on the squarial

:-doh! :-doh! :-doh!

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Channel Hopper said:

Is that a "D'oh!!! He's right" or a "D'oh!!! Circular polarisation means you don't need to skew"??? O-Ha

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Well, I did it!!!:D

I found Cuatro on my Squarial!!! Well, it was too fuzzy to be watchable, but I could see it was there, I took pictures too, but I forgot to bring my bluetooth stick to put them on here (and to show you all how I managed to get the squarial to stay in place!!! ;) ), but I did it!!! Well, I had to repair my MSS300 as the MSS1000 just wouldn't play ball at all, so that's going in the cupboard and the MSS300 will be brought back into service once I finish off the repairs...

Next, I erm, stripped the squarial's LNB and tried to fit the innards from the LNB from my Attisat, but I broke the F socket, so I need to make a suitable replacement before I can finish it off and test it, but chances are it'll go up in smoke like all my little projects involving my soldering iron.... :D

Anyone got a spare Zinwell Single C120 LNB suitable for an Attisat FL500??? :D

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Got me pictures transferred!!!

Pic1 - My Squarial in action, rear view - It's duct-taped to my Attisat's mount as I had that aligned on Hispa in order to get the Squarial lined up...

Pic2 - My Squarial in action, side view - Where the duct tape "mounts" onto the front of the plate...

Pic3 - The TV Picture!!! - Ok, it may look like fuzzyness in that picture, but when I looked at the TV I could see images of a person and adverts and stuff, so I was on Cuatro for sure... :D

So there you have it, Linear-polarised Cuatro on an outdated, non-universal, circular-polarised BSB DMAC squarial!!! Success, in a way... :D

R

Rd100

Cool i luv squarials they should use a newer type for sky digital they look bettet than tackey sky mini dishes i see every where now, I wish bsb was still here now think of it BSB digital,

Good going 2cvbloke, Now your into citroens any good with a saxo vts if you are fix mine

Also how much of your £10 you got left

2cvbloke said:
Got me pictures transferred!!!

Pic1 - My Squarial in action, rear view - It's duct-taped to my Attisat's mount as I had that aligned on Hispa in order to get the Squarial lined up...

Pic2 - My Squarial in action, side view - Where the duct tape "mounts" onto the front of the plate...

Pic3 - The TV Picture!!! - Ok, it may look like fuzzyness in that picture, but when I looked at the TV I could see images of a person and adverts and stuff, so I was on Cuatro for sure... :D

So there you have it, Linear-polarised Cuatro on an outdated, non-universal, circular-polarised BSB DMAC squarial!!! Success, in a way... :D

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Fantastic stuff 2CV!

Hope you got the same buzz from the tests that I did when I got something on my old bsb minidish!

R

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rd100 said:
Cool i luv squarials they should use a newer type for sky digital they look bettet than tackey sky mini dishes i see every where now, I wish bsb was still here now think of it BSB digital,

Good going 2cvbloke, Now your into citroens any good with a saxo vts if you are fix mine

Also how much of your £10 you got left

There's the Attisat FL500, like mine, but they're not as cheap as minidishes are....

Erm, I do 2CV's, not modern cars....O-Ha

That went aaaaages ago onto my ebay fees, was starving hungry for a week....:(

And Analoguesat, yep, got quite a buzz from it (and the cable too (note to self, don't touch cables when bare feet are touching the metal base of a PC otherwise you become an earth circuit)), then I ruined both my Attisat's LNB and the Squarial's, so now neither are operational....:-ohmy