Jack The Grabber

HutchTheCrutch

Reaction score
I've done a search on the forum but I see anyone posting about this piece of software.

I downloaded it yesterday and was recording programmes on my harddrive in superb quality both video and audio. It does take about 1.1gb for 40 minutes of video but with hard drives being so cheap now I don't think that really matters.

I managed to get stuff from all the channels that I can see including the films.

Although it's all in German I can highly recommend it if you want to stream stuff internally or record it to hard drive somewhere other than your PVR.

Anybody got any others that work properly ??

H

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Elgato into G4 17 in for Apple DVB-T captures.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
HutchTheCrutch said:
I've done a search on the forum but I see anyone posting about this piece of software.

I downloaded it yesterday and was recording programmes on my harddrive in superb quality both video and audio. It does take about 1.1gb for 40 minutes of video but with hard drives being so cheap now I don't think that really matters.

I managed to get stuff from all the channels that I can see including the films.

Although it's all in German I can highly recommend it if you want to stream stuff internally or record it to hard drive somewhere other than your PVR.

Anybody got any others that work properly ??

H

Hi Hutch
What piece of software would that be then . . . . . .?

HutchTheCrutch

Reaction score
'Jack the Grabber' is the name of the software.

A mate of mine mailed me the URL on Friday.
H.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
HutchTheCrutch said:
'Jack the Grabber' is the name of the software.

A mate of mine mailed me the URL on Friday.
H.

well, how about a further clue ;)

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
T_G said:
well, how about a further clue ;)

Look Hutch, Im a Neuling as well as you ( less than a month in the forum) but the thing is this:
Ive been capturing the mpeg transport stream from terrestrial digi onto HD for over a year now and making DVDs when I need 'em, others have been doing it longer. Its not a question of "high quality", its a question of capturing the digital stream that the sender is sending. So what you get is what was sent. When my new HD arrives tomorrow and I screw it in, I expect that software written by heroes, for the Mac, e.g. DreamXman will do just what I want. There's equivalent stuff for PC. So, as eloquently put by rolfw in the sharing thread, Hutch, this is a sharing club, not for leeching -- or time wasting. You've got the url from your friend; sus it out and tell us how it transforms the mpeg2 stream into the original 4.2.2. Then I will write to the Vatican and propose that they beatify your friend.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Whoa. Calm down folks.

Let's all assume good intent here.

A quick search on Google reveals plenty of information on 'Jack the Grabber'...

Go find it yourself if you're interested.

:)

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
haggard said:
I expect that software written by heroes, for the Mac, e.g. DreamXman will do just what I want.

Thanks for the tip haggard, downloaded DreamXman and will give it a try.

Tried DreamStreamX but it didn't work!

Have you tried it?

HutchTheCrutch

Reaction score
Apologies .... My problem here is that I'm never quite sure what I'm allowed to post and what I'm not.

From reading the do's and don't's it seems that it's fairly easy to p*ss people off either way, so I prefer the softly softly approach, and I appreciate the 'leeching' comment however that is not my intention.

The URL is
h**p://www.dbox2.info/download.php?fileID=143
please let me know how you get on.

H.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
No problem posting links to software on other sites H, would prefer that they are not live though, to achieve this, simply put a couple of asterisks in place of the tt in http. :)

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
BGonaSTICK said:
Whoa. Calm down folks. Let's all assume good intent here.

BGonaSTICK
Aw shucks, you're dead right. It was a boring Mon eve after being riled by the usual twerps at Uni. No reason to take it out on HutchtheCrutch. Sorry H.

gameboy said:
Thanks for the tip haggard, downloaded DreamXman and will give it a try.

Tried DreamStreamX but it didn't work!

Have you tried it?

It's installed but I cant try it till I put my HD in - It should arr today (Maxtor 300 - on the official D/B list) and thnx gameboy for prod to take that route.

I was able to communicate with D/B from Mac G4 laptop, but that was via web interface Safari. Changing channels and putting up on-screen-messges etc worked OK from Mac keyboard with a wifi connection to hub. I have also ftped OK using Transport and read and written files in D/B directories so the http and ftp connections and protocols work. I'll report back when Ive tried the capture s/w out.

As part of trying all images, I had a shot with ruCannon 6 on Sun. I had to dump it.

It woudlnt scan for channels. maybe it didnt like me changing the order Hot Bird DiSeq AA and Astra AB, which was preset, but it bombed on the first transponder of Astra every time. I'm damned if Im changing over the cabling AA -> <- AB and the Diseq settings on my other two boxes. Also, only part of the expert menu changed to English from Italian. I suspect possible legacy items again, though.

Anyone else found this one flaky?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Yeah, 6 is known to be flakey. 5 is the one to go 4 (groan...)

HutchTheCrutch

Reaction score
Do you guys reckon that an image with recording/streaming facilities built in is better than using an external program, such as 'Jack' ??

My own thoughts are that an external program gives you more options in terms of re-distribution. I can stream the resultant mpegs across my intranet and therefore create a library of recordings, or I can burn a DVD/VCD.

It seems to be far easier to manipulate stuff outside the box.

H.

BonceChops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500, Dreambox 600PVR, Dreambox 7025+, Dreambox 7000, 1m dish on a Moteck SG2100
My Location
NW England
rolfw said:
No problem posting links to software on other sites H, would prefer that they are not live though, to achieve this, simply put a couple of asterisks in place of the tt in http. :)
Can the forum not replace "http" with "h**p" automatically. It would help those of us who forget ( me included ).

Neil

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Could do Neil, but it then causes problems with internal links, will have a word with Chris about it, but it isn't a serious issue. :)