Jamie

bartenbach98

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm dish w. technomate 4200 (?) combi receiver
My Location
Warwick, UK
My dish is currently pointed at Astra 19.8°E - where I get most of my German film channels.
I would now like to get the BBC and ITV channels (FTA), however, that are broadcast via Astra 2D at 28°E.
Scanning for these with my Technomate 4200 receiver does not seem to find them!

Question: Do I need to reposition the dish, or do I need a second dish, or a motorized one in order to "catch" these Astra 2D signals?

Would appreciate any help in understanding why my dish is not catching these signals..!

Jamie

gov400

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020s
Gibertini OP120 Dish
STAB HH120 MOTOR
My Location
London
welcome to the forums mate

Im having the same dilemma to. I think your best bet is to use a motorised system as you can catch lots of satellites with only one dish. Also your dish must be capable to catch the 28.0e signals

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
bartenbach98 said:
Would appreciate any help in understanding why my dish is not catching these signals..!

Your 'fixed dish' is pointing to a position in the sky at 19.2 East that's where you're picking up the Astra satellites from.

The BBC channels are transmitted from the position 28.2 East (further to the left) on different satellites owned by Astra.
You could motorise your dish to move to that position but that would be more expensive than adding an additional LNB on an LNB extension arm. Adding an extra LNB will also allow you to change channels on different satellite without delay. If a motor has to move the dish back and forth then this takes time.

Hope this helps.

bartenbach98

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Warwick, UK
Just to say thanks for your help! :)

If I understand you correctly, the fact that the dish is still pointed (roughly) at 19.8E will not matter - the positioning of the (2nd) LNB will have more of an influence?

Another thought, if i move the dish to halfway between 19.8E and 28E, say 23-24E, would i still need a second LNB, or would it be possible for the one LNB to catch both transmitting sats?

Jamie

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Dish pointing is not like terrestrial aerial pointing, the dish needs to be within hal a degree to receive anything at all. So you keep the dish pointing at Astra 19.2, buy yourself an Eastern satellites offset arm, second LNB and 2 way DiseqC switch.

The second LNB hits the dish centre at an angle, so points at a more Easterly position.

bartenbach98

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Warwick, UK
Thanks Rolf for a short and clear reply!

I will do just what you suggest.

Jamie

Gatekeeper

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DVBS Satellite Antenna and reciever No Name and the All Weather Protection Booster
My Location
Belgium
Hi Jamie,

an other tip to improve the signal quality is to use the All Weather Protection Booster from www.schlueter-enterprises.com this simple item has improved the quality of my cheap 35 Euro Satellite recieving system from 85% to 95%. That could help also in your complicated setup.

Greetings,
Gate:)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
That can only improve signal in bad rain or snow, by keeping it off the LNB feedhorn cover, otherwise it should make no difference.