Jeremy Clarkson Blasts Salford in the Sunday Times

Rachel_Sandford

News Hound
Reaction score
In his weekly column in the Sunday Times, Jeremy Clarkson, host of Top Gear, wrote that he would rather quit his job than move to Salford, stating he would “resign in a heartbeat” if BBC decides to make Top Gear at MediaCityUK, located in Salford Quays.

Clarkson described Salford as “a small suburb with a Starbucks and a canal with ducks,” adding that “It is nowhere near any court that matters and nowhere near a single politician. Furthermore, if we ran the show from Salford, we'd be employing people from Salford. People who were born there and thought 'Yes, I like this. I see no reason to go anywhere else,' and in the world of television that could be a genuine handicap.” Clarkson continued to say “Every year, we'd end up making a Christmas special from the Dog and Duck or the nearest Arndale Centre.”

John Merry, Salford Council's Labour leader said in response to Clarkson's column: “I think the comments are rather silly and borne out of ignorance as I believe he hasn't been to Salford. It is offensive and arrogant as we all pay our license fees and presumably he thinks he has every right to the huge salary that Salford people contribute towards, and yet he shows them this contempt.” Merry told the Manchester Evening news that what was said “make Clarkson look like a slightly more sophisticated version of Alf Garnett.”

Though the promise to resign seems harsh, Clarkson is not alone. BBC Breakfast hosts Chris Hollins and Sian Williams have both said that they would not move to MediaCityUK either. Clarkson describes BBC's move as “the stupidest media decision since someone said 'hey guys, I can listen to Prince William's voicemails'.”

The BBC has already moved five departments from London to Salford, but so far they have no plans of moving Top Gear.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Clarkson would resign?

Quick, get that programme moved NOW!

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Imagine that, Top Gear without Clarkson, again.... :D

Makes me wonder how many places he's no longer welcome, cos all he does is find names of places and insults them, won't be long before he's not allowed to go anywhere in the UK without being attacked by pretty much everyone he's insulted over the years either on TV or in newspapers... :rolleyes:

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I think he might be Boris Johnson in disguise.

chris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TalkTalk TV
My Location
Worksop UK
I'm a big fan, top gear is essential Sunday night viewing ! A great team and very entertaining so who would you replace Clarkson with ?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
[tube]r_2ZsMFY0fg[/tube]

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
A more adult presenter :D

[video=youtube;wwQbNrt2N8Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwQbNrt2N8Y[/video]

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
chris said:
so who would you replace Clarkson with ?

Same as what they did when he left old Top Gear? Tiff Needell perhaps? :D

After all, TN did briefly replace The Stig, so is obviously the better driver... :p