chris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TalkTalk TV
My Location
Worksop UK
Joe McElderry was crowned the winner of The X Factor tonight, in what is set to go down as the biggest night of television of the year.

Viewing figures published tomorrow are expected to show that a peak of nearly 20 million viewers tuned in to see McElderry, 18, overcome Olly Murs in the public vote, to become the sixth winner of the ITV talent show. More than 10 million votes were cast in the final during the weekend. The programme had already achieved its highest Saturday night audience when a peak of 14.5 million viewers tuned into the first half of the final, 54 per cent of the television audience.

McElderry, from South Shields, was the runaway favourite to land the title after a string of heartfelt performances, including a duet with George Michael. He said last night: “I never took much notice of all the hype because as soon as you do I think it can put you off. It was flattering, but just because everyone says you’re going to win doesn’t mean you are. But I’m thrilled. It’s amazing.”

The teenager had solid political backing, with both the Foreign and Culture secretaries coming out in support. David Miliband, McElderry’s local MP, wrote to the singer to wish him luck, while Ben Bradshaw was in the studio to cheer him on in person. Even Gordon Brown took time out from a surprise visit to Afghanistan to send a message of support.

McElderry will now sign a £1 million deal with Syco, the division of Sony Music run by Simon Cowell. He is virtually guaranteed the Christmas No 1 with his rendition of The Climb, an uplifting ballad originally recorded by Miley Cyrus, the American teen singer and actress.

After the Christmas single and a tour around Britain with the rest of The X Factor contestants, McElderry will record an album. In the first two series, the winner’s album was released early in the following year. But Mr Cowell said he would follow plans put in place for former winners Leona Lewis and Alexandra Burke and hold back the album until the show returns.

He said: “What I’ve learnt over the past year is that you can’t make a decent album in less than seven or eight months, full stop. So whoever wins we will take much, much longer with the record and then release it at the time the show would normally return, round about September, October.”

Tonight’s show had an all-star cast, with performances from George Michael and Paul McCartney. Alexandra Burke and Leona Lewis also appeared.

Source:TimesOnline

chris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TalkTalk TV
My Location
Worksop UK
Joe McElderry was crowned the winner of The X Factor tonight, in what is set to go down as the biggest night of television of the year.

Viewing figures published tomorrow are expected to show that a peak of nearly 20 million viewers tuned in to see McElderry, 18, overcome Olly Murs in the public vote, to become the sixth winner of the ITV talent show. More than 10 million votes were cast in the final during the weekend. The programme had already achieved its highest Saturday night audience when a peak of 14.5 million viewers tuned into the first half of the final, 54 per cent of the television audience.

McElderry, from South Shields, was the runaway favourite to land the title after a string of heartfelt performances, including a duet with George Michael. He said last night: “I never took much notice of all the hype because as soon as you do I think it can put you off. It was flattering, but just because everyone says you’re going to win doesn’t mean you are. But I’m thrilled. It’s amazing.”

The teenager had solid political backing, with both the Foreign and Culture secretaries coming out in support. David Miliband, McElderry’s local MP, wrote to the singer to wish him luck, while Ben Bradshaw was in the studio to cheer him on in person. Even Gordon Brown took time out from a surprise visit to Afghanistan to send a message of support.

McElderry will now sign a £1 million deal with Syco, the division of Sony Music run by Simon Cowell. He is virtually guaranteed the Christmas No 1 with his rendition of The Climb, an uplifting ballad originally recorded by Miley Cyrus, the American teen singer and actress.

After the Christmas single and a tour around Britain with the rest of The X Factor contestants, McElderry will record an album. In the first two series, the winner’s album was released early in the following year. But Mr Cowell said he would follow plans put in place for former winners Leona Lewis and Alexandra Burke and hold back the album until the show returns.

He said: “What I’ve learnt over the past year is that you can’t make a decent album in less than seven or eight months, full stop. So whoever wins we will take much, much longer with the record and then release it at the time the show would normally return, round about September, October.”

Tonight’s show had an all-star cast, with performances from George Michael and Paul McCartney. Alexandra Burke and Leona Lewis also appeared.

Source:TimesOnline

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Never watched a second of this and never will.

Bring back Val Doonican.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Never watched a second of this and never will.

Bring back Val Doonican.

SHILLING

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m dish & Stab HH100 on scaffold pole bolted to garage wall. TM5200 & TM1000 receivers.
My Location
east anglia
Honest Guv, I wasn't one of those 20million, I have better things to do.
bob

SHILLING

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m dish & Stab HH100 on scaffold pole bolted to garage wall. TM5200 & TM1000 receivers.
My Location
east anglia
Honest Guv, I wasn't one of those 20million, I have better things to do.
bob

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
I find those viewing figures hard to believe. With a population of 60 million they are saying that a third of those tuned into this nonsense.

If the figures are correct, its a sad reflection of the times we live in. :(

Sorry if this offends anyone, but the word 'proles' springs to mind.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
I find those viewing figures hard to believe. With a population of 60 million they are saying that a third of those tuned into this nonsense.

If the figures are correct, its a sad reflection of the times we live in. :(

Sorry if this offends anyone, but the word 'proles' springs to mind.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I never watched it and can only imagine the hype, it seems the viewing figures change depending on which channel you are watching, on the one show they announced nearly 19 million perhaps their meters are calibrated differently:cool:

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I never watched it and can only imagine the hype, it seems the viewing figures change depending on which channel you are watching, on the one show they announced nearly 19 million perhaps their meters are calibrated differently:cool:

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The viewing figures are only an extrapolation from the viewing panel stats, but whether it's 18, 19, or 20 million, it's still impressive.

I watched it and the run up programmes, it was quite good fun and entertaining.

So I suppose I must be one of the peasants. :-rofl2

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The viewing figures are only an extrapolation from the viewing panel stats, but whether it's 18, 19, or 20 million, it's still impressive.

I watched it and the run up programmes, it was quite good fun and entertaining.

wannabee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo with 1TB HDD, Vu+ Solo with 500GB HDD, Dm7025 with 80GB HDD & 1m Triax
Advent 9415 lappy
My Location
Co. Tyrone
Can anyone please tell me how they actually know how many watch this programe.. ???

Imean.. how do they count the viewers.. ????

wannabee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo with 1TB HDD, Vu+ Solo with 500GB HDD, Dm7025 with 80GB HDD & 1m Triax
Advent 9415 lappy
My Location
Co. Tyrone
Can anyone please tell me how they actually know how many watch this programe.. ???

Imean.. how do they count the viewers.. ????

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
rolfw said:
LOL, I was referring more to the hunger for mass media than social class. :)

I just don't get the interest in these talent shows at all.:confused

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
rolfw said:
LOL, I was referring more to the hunger for mass media than social class. :)

I just don't get the interest in these talent shows at all.:confused