Just one last question before I take the plunge!

mrtomato

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
Philips MEO box
65cm Fortec Star dish
Twin Fortec Star LNB
My Location
UK
Hello all.
I appreciate all the the replies I have had on previous posts. As a bit of a novice at all this satellite stuff and someone who is rotten at DIY or fixing anything, I do greatly admire your expertise.

Anyway, to the point. I am intending to buy a monoblock for my Comag SL55 Lidl system which has been working well for a year now pointing at Astra 19.2 using an 80cm dish. I have seen some great bargains on eBay and the prices really do vary. Amongst all the numbers these sellers often quote, low-noise etc. what should I be looking for?

I am always cautious about these things. Do monoblocks often fail or cause problems?

If any of you knowledgable folks can help me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks,

mrtomato.:)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Hi mrtomato
You need to buy an lnb with the lowest value you can. 0.3db is about the lowest you can buy but generally if possible I understand it is better to buy an lnb that is matched to your dish. I have limited experience of this type of equipment but I am sure one of the members that install these everyday will advise further.

mrtomato

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
Philips MEO box
65cm Fortec Star dish
Twin Fortec Star LNB
My Location
UK
Thanks for the reply.

I've been looking at a very reasonably priced Fortec Star Monoblock on eBay. I don't know what they are like, but I saw an old post on this forum mentioning how difficult to set up monoblocks are.

I am hesitant about disturbing my dish and losing everything.

mrtomato

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I do not think you have to alter anything. Again my experience is limited but I think you just bolt it on and the 2nd lnb is focussed on another part of the dish to receive the 2nd sat. Even if you had to rotate slightly, you could paint or mark lines on so that you could always return to what you had.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Check that the monobloc you want to buy will fit your dish (connection is the same).

If your dish is pointed at 19.2'E and i take it you want Hotbird 13'E then you should be OK just fitting it. The dish should be at least 80cm.

It should use a single cable and use the DisEqC switch in the Comag to switch LNB signal.

As top says you should mark the dish position if you have to move it, all being well it should be OK as is.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I set up a monobloc in 15 minutes last summer. I set the prime focus on 13E, and got it working. Then switch the rx over to 19E, and tweak up the alignment (twist) of lnb #2

mrtomato

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
Philips MEO box
65cm Fortec Star dish
Twin Fortec Star LNB
My Location
UK
Cheers everyone.

The dish is pointed at 19.2 and my signal strength is around 66% and the quality 72%. So maybe by just attaching the thing it'll work? My dish is 80cm and slightly oval shaped.

mrtomato