Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I know your pain Evan - my little 1TB Netgear Duo got an unclean shutdown thanks to a power cut a couple of years ago. My event wasnt as drastic as yours - it blew one drive so the box stayed off until I could get a second one in ( no rock music in the interim as its all on the nas!) :(

I allowed it to remirror then swapped the second drive for safety and allowed it to remirror again.

Its a great little box though

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Just checked, and the one (that is visible, there is another ) is the APC 500.

APC Back-UPS,300 Watts /500 VA,Input 230V /Output 230V, Interface Port Optional Simple Signalling RS232 cable, USB.

Ususally the only thing wrong with them is a defective cell in the internal battery, a golf cart/burglar alarm backup type will normally be suitable as a replacement.

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
Following the NAS disaster ...and adamant this would not happen again ..
I ended up investing in a Powercool 1500VA UPS.
Nelson kindly donated one ...which ..had I been able to get it working might well have done the job..
But it is faulty and I suspect needs new batts..
Adding all this up I decided to see if I could get one for around a ton..
Indeed I did ..
It being an intelligent unit ..fully capable of detecting and regulating surges as well as outages ..
Fully loaded it is capable of a 10 minute grace period.
So I can shut down the NAS in a controlled way.
Problems..
A
The Server lives in the loft..
Its cooler and less noisy that way
B
I need a PC connected via network to shut it down..
C
I also need the router to stay up so that I can access the NAS via PC.
So have spent a few days running a mains supply fro the UPS down a floor to my main PC.
Also a 6mtr repeater USB lead to connect them together.
The router/switch had to be moved into the loft also ..to get power from the UPS in the event of outage.
This also applies to the Main PC downstairs..which also needs the UPS to supply its power in the event of failure
So ..a phone line extension was also run to the loft ..thus the router can connect to t'interet ..as well as maintain part of the network.
So ..
UPS + Router + NAS in the loft...
Main PC in my playroom ..
In the event of failure ..the UPS will maintain power to the router ..the NAS ..and my PC ..
The PC also monitors and and alarms in the event of outage ..
I can then have ten minutes+ to control power down the NAS..
Perfik.
I spose the outlay and the work might put folk off ..but the peace of mind is priceless..
Hopefully I shall not have such a disaster happen again.
..and if Freenas ever incorporate drivers for the powercool ..
Maybe the UPS can shut down the NAS directly without my intervention.
here is a pic of the Powercool unit..alongside the NAS
rgds
VS

Attachments

• DSCF0089.JPG
    DSCF0089.JPG
    318.1 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF0090.JPG
    DSCF0090.JPG
    322 KB · Views: 23
  • UPS monitor.png
    UPS monitor.png
    113.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
But it is faulty and I suspect needs new batts..

Code:
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/starterbatteries/

That's where I got my set of UPS batteries last year (despite citylink's attempts to lose them)... :)

Tururu

Assembled with recycled parts
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm motorised dishes(98x90)+fixed+multiLNB+24Unicable.
Currently 56 satellites, 61°West to 57°East.

Octagon SF8008 4K Twin, VU+Duo², VU+Ultimo4K.
Recycled as the owner.
My Location
North of Madrid (28703 Spain) -3Km of IKEA (40.545847, -3.612012).:-)
With so many TB is not a bad idea to spend about € uros in a good SAI/UPS.
As the teams indicated consumption in watts and UPS give the data in Watts, multiply the maximum power of the UPS 0.8 will have the wattage they can handle.
As a rule not exceed 80% of the capacity of the UPS, if you can afford to spend, better than 60%.
Now for the independent to the power of computer jokes.

You have 3 types of UPS, the third is that the third.:-doh
In general, all have EMI/RFI filters.;)

Off-Line.- enters the mains voltage directly to the computer, has an EMI / RFI filter to clean the food, 230VAC~/50Hz. direct the team that protects, if outage, switches quickly delivering a feed (+/- sinusoid [+ Square than anything else]).
These teams let through all the garbage of cuts, notches and ups and downs of tension.
The 230VAC ~ Converter is minimal and is designed for power and long lasting batteries, watch extend battery no more (+ amps) than time extra charge, you ventilate the computer if you have frequent and prolonged outages, to warm more for longer.

On-Line, dual voltage converter (since it appeared the interactive).- The tension of the network, is used to charge a battery, these batteries feed a converter (sinusoid) that feeds the computer at all times.
Thus no peak/fluctuation can reach the team and it has 100% protection.
Good teams have isolation transformers, generating a voltage Neutral-Earth clean of any problemland.

Currently the isolation transformer is not included in the cheap models on-line only in expensive thereof power, if you have problems peak / fluctuations Neutral-Earth, you can buy cheaper normal.
The chargers/converters are designed to work 24hrs/7days to avoid problems, many teams have applications for control and closing applications, including warning by email.
Depending on the price, with manual or automatic bypass.

Interactive (some stores sell them as on-line, to be monitoring the output voltage level, care) .- :-rofl2
It is a commitment of the two technologies, I never liked, is better than an off-line, but little more, care if sold as the best, worth half that on-line the same power, something will.
If you have light, this feeds directly to your computer, filtered and passed through a "auto transformer automatic/electronic" raises or low tension to the setpoint output we have selected in your settings.

In case of power feeding, comes into operation the converter to exhaust batteries according to configuration.
If feeding be below the parameters configured, you may enter into operation or disconnected.

If the variations are very fast, does not work well, I remember a case where an interactive computer 5KW (5000 Watts) equipment is disconnected to protect your electronics from fluctuations had the food, real as life itself.

In BMI4800 meter in this installation log about 100 variations of stress and many other peaks Earth day, after putting interactive UPS 1000 record variations generated by the switching UPS, getting the power supply burning equipment and lock the meter, transformer factory does not support consumption.

PS: Exhausting the paper roll before the internal battery which has the meter to record 100% of the problems.:-ohcrap
-----------------
Con tantos TB no es mala idea gastar unos €uros en un buen SAI/UPS.
Como los equipos indican el consumo en Watios y los SAI dan el dato en Vatios, multiplica la potencia maxima del SAI por 0'8 tendras los watios que puede manejar.
Como norma no pasar del 80% de la capacidad del SAI, si puedes asumir el gasto, mejor al 60%.

Ahora vamos con los chistes, independientes a la potencia del equipo.

Tienes 3 tipos de SAI, el tercero es eso el tercero.:-doh
En general, todas tienes filtros EMI/RFI.;)

Off-Line.- Entra la tension de red directamente al equipo, tiene un filtro EMI/RFI para limpiar la alimentacion, 230VCA~/50Hz. directa al equipo que protege, en caso de corte en el suministro, conmuta rapidamente entregando una alimentacion (sinusoide +/-[+ cuadrada que otra cosa]).
Estos equipos dejan pasar todos la basura de cortes, microcortes y subidas y bajadas de tension.
El convertidor 230VCA~ es minimo y esta diseñado para la potencia y tiempo que duran las baterias, cuidado con ampliar baterias sin mas (+amperios) aparte del tiempo de carga extra, ventilar bien el equipo si tenemos cortes frecuentes y prolongados, se calentara mas durante mas tiempo.

On-Line, con doble conversor de tension (desde que aparecieron la interactivas).- La tension de la red, se utiliza para cargar unas baterias, estas baterias alimentan un convertidor (sinusoide) que alimenta el equipo en todo momento.
De esta forma ningun pico/fluctuacion puede llegar al equipo y este tiene proteccion 100%.
Los buenos equipos tienen transformadores de aislamiento, generando una tension Neutro-Tierra limpia de cualquier problema por las tierras.

Actualmente el trasformador de aislamiento no esta incluido en los modelos baratos on-line, solo en los caros de la misma potencia, si no tienes problemas de picos/fluctuaciones Neutro-Tierra, puedes abaratar comprando el normal.
Los cargadores/convertidores estan diseñados para trabajar 24H/7 dias para no tener problemas, muchos equipos tienen aplicaciones para su control y cierre de aplicaciones, incluso avisando por correo electronico.
Dependiendo del precio, con bypass manual o automatico.

Interactiva (algunas tiendas las venden como on-line, al estar monitorizando el nivel de tension de salida, cuidado).- :-rofl2
Es un compromiso de las 2 tecnologias, nunca me gusto, es mejor que un off-line, pero poco mas, cuidado si los venden como lo mejor, valen la mitad que los on-line de la misma potencia, por algo sera.
Si tienes luz, esta alimenta directamente al equipo, se filtra y pasa por un "auto transformador automatico/electronico", sube o baja la tension hasta el valor de consigna que tengamos seleccionada de salida en su configuracion.

En caso de corte de la alimentacion, entra en funcionamiento el convertidor hasta agotar baterias segun configuracion.
Si la alimentacion estar por debajo de los parametros configurados, puede que entre entre en funcionamiento o se desconecte.

Si las variaciones son muy rapidas, no suele funcionar bien, recuerdo un caso en un equipo Interactivo de 5KW (5000 Watios) el equipo se desconecto para proteger su electronica de las variaciones que tenia la alimentacion, real como la vida misma.

Con el medidor BMI4800, en esta instalacion registre unas 100 variaciones de tension y otros tantos picos por Tierra por dia, despues de poner el SAI interactivo, registre mas de 1000 variaciones generadas por la conmutacion del SAI, consiguiendo quemar la fuente de alimentacion del equipo y bloquear el medidor, el transformador de la fabrica no soporta el consumo.

PD: Agotando el rollo de papel, antes que la bateria interna que tiene el medidor para registrar al 100% los problemas. :-ohcrap

Last edited:

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
My belkin UPS is a Line-Interactive, quite fun watching the grid dropping and rising in volts over the day, a couple of days ago the voltage hit 212v at about 1pm and made the UPS click in concern, though didn't take over the power supply, I'm not too keen on it as a UPS though, it's noisy when it takes over, and it has europlugs on the back (specifically the german Shucko types) so needs adaptors to use proper british BS1363 fused plugs...

My glued-back-together Trust UPS is, well, I'm not sure what it is, has no data interface, so, I presume it's just an Offline type, very basic, has a latching On/Off switch, so no electronics to power it up and down, and the outputs are IEC plugs (again, needs adaptors which is a PITA)...