Karen Gillan & Arthur Darvill Set to Leave Doctor Who

Rachel_Sandford

News Hound
Reaction score
During a special screening of this year's Doctor Who Christmas episode at the BBC TV Centre in London, Steven Moffat announced that Matt Smith's Doctor Who would be saying goodbye to Rory and Amy Pond sometime during the next series.

Played by Arthur Darvill and 24-year-old Scottish actress Karen Gillan, Moffat revealed that the Ponds' exit from the show will be “heartbreaking.”

“Amy and [husband] Rory will be rejoining us next series and joining the Doctor back on the Tardis,” said Steven Moffat. “But the final days of the Ponds are coming—and during the next series. I'm not telling you when and certainly not telling you how. But that story is going to come to a heartbreaking end.

“There are only so many more adventures with the lovely Amy and the lovely Rory. So that story, next series, during the series will be over. And then the Doctor is going to meet a new friend,” revealed Moffat. “--and I'm not going to tell you anything about he, she or it!

“Who knows? It is Doctor Who. There's a universe of people to choose from,” said Moffat.

It is anticipated that the cast, crew, and fans will definitely be sad to see Gillan leave the show.

On working with Gillan, Matt Smith, who currently plays the Doctor, said: “We have had the most incredible journey... We took over the show and we really had to hold hands and help each otherthrough it in many ways. So it's very disappointing, but one has to remember that this show is about to change and regeneration and that's what galvanises it and moves it forward. It's about looking forward, always.”

Gillan was an unknown when she first arrived on Doctor Who, dressed as a kissogram on Matt Smith's first episode. Since then, she has risen to stardom, recently finishing up a role on the West End, and now gearing up to play 1960's model Jean Shrimpton on BBC4.

In a recent interview, the actress commented on her leaving Doctor Who and her plans for the future.

“I have not read a single word of the next season,” she said. “I do know I am coming back, but that's all I know to be honest.

“I can't really talk about any of the projects coming as such but I want to do more stage. I have a real passion for it. I want to do it as much as screen stuff, in all honesty, so that would be really amazing. Maybe something on Broadway... Not a musical, maybe a play on Broadway.”

Doctor Who's Christmas episode will be aired at 7pm on Christmas Day. It focuses on the Doctor trying to help Claire Skinner (Outnumbered) who plays a mum of two children that have been evacuated from London to Dorset during the second-world-war. The title of the episode, The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe, plays tribute to C.S. Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia. Bill Bailey and Arabella Weir are also set to make an appearance.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
One of the most gorgeous relative newcomers I can recall.

(Karen, not Arthur)

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
That's sad news. Pity it's going to be heartbreaking.

I especially enjoyed the episode "The Girl who Waited". Karen acted up a storm there and the aging prosthetics were sensitively done I thought.

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C