Kaspersky Anti-Virus crashed my bro's PC

thewarrior

Reaction score
My brother installed Kaspersky Anti-Virus on his PC today, l thought it may be ok, as he brought the original package, which was on sale...

After installing it on the Windows XP OS, it crashed everything, l cant even get into the control panel and remove the dam thing....

wat a load of rubbish...

any ideas of what to do guys, anything would be grateful

thanks in advance,

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Hi thewarrior,
have you tried booting up in safe mode, keep pressing the F8 key at boot up, and choose safe mode, then do a system restore, go to start, accessories, system tools, system restore, and restore to before you installed Kaspersky Anti-Virus.
Then go to the Kaspersky web site,_http://www.kaspersky.com/ and check if there are any patches/upgrades required to work with XP, especially required if you're running Service pack 2.
Best wishes
Mickha

thewarrior

Reaction score
thanks for your response Mickha.

I will have a go...but everytime the PC reloads in safe mode, any mouse click or keyboard button causes the screen to blank out..

thanks

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
What type of PC is it ?

Did you receive a recovery disc with the original purchase?

If all else fails Ive been able lately to take hard drives from apparently faulty installs, and clean them in another PC by retagging them as a slave drive, then reinstalling them. Do you have another XP PC you can possibly do this on (it will require some knowledge of the IDE and PSU cabling, and a screwdriver or two).

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
thewarrior said:
My brother installed Kaspersky Anti-Virus on his PC today, l thought it may be ok, as he brought the original package, which was on sale...

After installing it on the Windows XP OS, it crashed everything, l cant even get into the control panel and remove the dam thing....

wat a load of rubbish...

any ideas of what to do guys, anything would be grateful

thanks in advance,

Something l;ike this happened to son on his laptop. Every time he switches it on it just closes down again and again. Got it to start on safe mode but it just closes down and restarts and closes down again. Tried to load the recovery disc but to no avail. Anybody got ideas because this laptop cost €1,200 and its just left aside.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Can you not get an old DOS boot CD/Floppy or Win98 or similar and boot from that.
When you are in then Format the sucker and re-install.
Ok you loose what was on the drive that wasn't the OS but you get your laptop back.
Just a thought.

L

Marts

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90 cm dish + two LNB 13/19 E
90 cm dish + one LNB 30 W
Humax 5400 .. Oh and cable for Mrs Marts (smilie here)
My Location
Gozo - Malta
I doubt installing any piece of software would cause a system crash. You obviously have a problem closer to hardware malfunction, even a faulty hard drive. Do you not have a boot disc?

If you are able to go into either safe mode or normal mode, try a system restore.

Regards - Marts

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
Marts said:
I doubt installing any piece of software would cause a system crash. You obviously have a problem closer to hardware malfunction, even a faulty hard drive. Do you not have a boot disc?

If you are able to go into either safe mode or normal mode, try a system restore.

Regards - Marts

Spent a couple of hours again on it today. Got it to boot from op disc. As soon as the welcome screen comes up and you see the window icons on screen it just closes down and restarts again. There is a crack on the screen but we were using another monitor to view. We were closing off the lap screen with fn+f4. We got some error numbers on screen why it was closing down:- Stop:0X0000004E. 0X0000068F. 0X0000414C. 0X0000014C. 0X00000000. It also says try disable Bios into memory options and disable Caching and shadowing. How do you do this.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I have to say that i/ had the same problems with Kaspersky software, even tried it a second time, but had to reformat in the end, certainly won't be trying it again :-splat , there are many other usable programs around.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
rolfw said:
I have to say that i/ had the same problems with Kaspersky software, even tried it a second time, but had to reformat in the end, certainly won't be trying it again :-splat , there are many other usable programs around.

Yes my son says he was a crap chess player too!!!