Kathrein Ufs910 Dvb-s2 Hdtv

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
I am thinking of ordering this receiver.

It comes wth Linux and should be really nice.

http://www.kathrein.de/en/sat/products/download/ufs910.pdf

it84590C005-131_400.JPG

izefisherman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Ku: 2.4m Aerial PFA / Invacom SNF-031,
C: 1.2m Aerial PFA / MTI 15k,

DM7020-S, DM500S, C-Tech 2100, VBOXII
My Location
Finland
No ethernet port?
Only DiSEqC 1.0 :(

Pretty lame for being a Linux box...

Edit:

But on the other hand many companies have promised a DVB-S2 box and few have delivered so all in all maybe not that bad :)

danit

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
motorised Gibertini 125 - fixed dish 72 -
stabHH120 -
lnb Inverto Black Ultra 0.2 - Sharp 0.4 -
Jepssen STHD3 AzboxHD Premium / 1TB WD e-sata hdd -
Fortec Passion HD -
QUALI IRCI HDTV -
Homecast PVR 300 -
Digiscrappybox -
various CAMs -
vari
My Location
8e 43.9n
I asked some questions to Kathrein about this very promising receiver, had bad answers:

1. on the control signal specs you report just DiSEqC 1.0, no 1.2 or 1.3 (usals): so, how to move a motorised dish with the receiver?
The receiver only supports DiSEqC 1.0 without motor control

2. it's evident that the absolute news of the receiver is the Linux based system and the Ethetnet port: is the LAN completely open or does it have some limits, as if to watch (and record) hdtv broadcasting (hdcp protected) on a remote connected PC?
This option is not availiable the Ethernet port can not be used in the moment

3. the UFS910 is not PVR or PVR ready: are you planning a PVR model? and eventually, when will it be available?
The UFS 910 is temporaly not PVR ready

so, it seems a no use receiver at the moment...:mad:

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, sounds like they've researched what people want and then gone out of their way to leave it out. :-lmao

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
This proves my thoughts when it always comes to women, the inside always counts as the outside always leads to confusion.

This receiver is the same thing, look great on the outside but complete lack of any brain or intelligence on the inside

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
izefisherman said:
No ethernet port?
Only DiSEqC 1.0 :(

Pretty lame for being a Linux box...

Edit:

But on the other hand many companies have promised a DVB-S2 box and few have delivered so all in all maybe not that bad :)

No that is wrong, if you read the specs it says 1.0/ 1.2/ USALS and also a 100Mbps Ethernet controller and the source is available.

I think i will order it.

http://www.marusys.com/ufs910.html

izefisherman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Finland
Likvid said:
No that is wrong, if you read the specs it says 1.0/ 1.2/ USALS and also a 100Mbps Ethernet controller and the source is available.

I think i will order it.

http://www.marusys.com/ufs910.html

Well, what can I say? The Kathrein page you provided a link for still specifies 1.0 and no ethernet... I would double check before ordering anything as others in this thread have some kind of confirmation on the lack of features.

Let's hope that reseller is right and that the manufacturer Kathrein have just been lazy updating their spec pages.

Ize

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
No the Kathrein specs on their site in my first post states that it have Ethernet clearly.

izefisherman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Finland
Yes, I found the ethernet part now. The least ever advertised ethernet port on a set top box.

Guess all we need to do now is make someone buy it and test it for us...

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
I called Kathrein in Germany and asked if there is support for USALS and networking.

There is built-in 10/100Mbps ethernet controller but the receiver only supports Diseqc 1.0 at the beginning but they are working on adding USALS support but could not give any timeframe when it would be added.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Well at least it's going to have Unicable software for working several STB's from the same (Unicable) LNB. Seems to be putting the cart before the horse though in providing that before allowing the other Diseqc protocols too.

Llew

danit

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
stabHH120 -
Fortec Passion HD -
QUALI IRCI HDTV -
Homecast PVR 300 -
Digiscrappybox -
various CAMs -
vari
My Location
8e 43.9n
someone tested it: http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/2007/Kathrein_UFS_910_Si_01.shtml

actually, as I had said, no use for USB, no use for ethernet, no multiswitch or motor control, channel change extremely slow: they gotta improve everything...)(-red

a shame, 'cause the video quality should be fantastic...:-worship[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
It's not what the review said.

Give me one receiver with DVB-S2 today that is not slow when changing channels?

No use for USB? well you can connect a WLAN bridge for your WLAN compared to the lousy cheap USB implementation Dreambox and Relook have.

No use for Ethernet? don't understand what you want so say.

Motor control? not now but they will implement it soon as i said earlier, i have talked to Kathrein about it and they will implement it but can not give any timeframe.

It has HDMI which the never announced Dreambox doesn't have.

And its open source software, this receiver will be a killer for it's price and probably got much much higher hardware quality compared to Dreambox.

danit

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
stabHH120 -
Fortec Passion HD -
QUALI IRCI HDTV -
Homecast PVR 300 -
Digiscrappybox -
various CAMs -
vari
My Location
8e 43.9n
Likvid, don't blame me... ;)

I'm happy such a receiver is available on the market, it has huge potential, I'm not a "Kathrein enemy"...

I'm just reportin' what I read

in areadvd they talk about USB and ethernet port as a mystery: 3 USB ports actually good only for software upgrade and for multimedia applications actually not known, the ethernet actually has no use at all, as directly from Kathrein they confirmed to me: "this option is not availiable, the Ethernet port can not be used in the moment"

USB could be pretty much use if an external hdd could be connected

we all know what an active ethernet port could be for on a Linux based receiver

all these connections can be developed, so as DiSEqC, but they arent't at the moment

I agree most of the hdtv receivers have a slow channel change, but I never heard about "2 seconds and a half" to switch sd channels, "3 seconds and a half" to switch hd channels...: they can correct it too, but I guess they need time...

and it's a shame because, according to areadvd report, the image quality is superb, much better than any other hdtv receiver actually available

btw. I'm standing by, watching if they can develop the receiver: if they do, it'll be mine...

Prophessor

Folding*home
Reaction score
Website
koizo.sourceforge.net
My Satellite Setup
[ Relook 250S ]
My Location
Madeira
I've been reading several threads on different boards, and i find that its taking too long for the manufaturers to deliver really good receivers. There are too few HD receivers available, granted that there aren't that many HD channels to begin with...

But we europeans are moving much too slow. If i were to buy a receiver today i would have only 3 choices, Pace, Topfield or Humax and they all cost almost the same, the other brands are bit too obscure. There is too little competion, wich makes me just wait for the second generation of HD receivers. I'm disapointed. O-no