Kensington Security Locks

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I've found a desktop and monitor combination in the shed, sourced from a local radio amateur flea market a few years ago. The monitor is what I need to replace the other half's aging 4:3 item in the back room.
Trouble is they are tied together with a Kensington Lock with a steel cable looped through convenient holes in the tower casing. The motherboard has already been used elsewhere and so I can discard the metal stuff.
I 've separated them with the usual brute method, which leaves the lock bit on the back of the monitor but now I've seen this youtube video that suggests they are not as secure as they are made out to be.

I was going to take the back of the monitor apart and file out the plastic case, but are the 'locks' really as insecure as this ?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Cheap KL's can be very poor indeed. Ive broken one just by twisting it too hard in the past!

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Is there a grading of them ? I thought they were produced by one company only.

I'll have a go at picking tonight.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
I've never used a Kensington lock in my life, seen plenty of them in use, but, seeing this, erm, yeah, seems they may be a tad pointless, especially if they're of the "accountant-friendly budget series" version...... o_O

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Is there a grading of them ? I thought they were produced by one company only.

I'll have a go at picking tonight.

The one I snapped was a cheap Chinese knock off from the pound shop. ISTR the barrel fell out of another one from that batch as well :D