RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
well heres what im trying to do..

i have 3 Pcs, this the main one, and 2 Laptops.

one laptop is owned by my 11 year old son. i have installed security to stop him viewing things he shouldnt be, but he now wants an email account so he can email school and friends etc... as i know Hotmail and other web services send mature content and other unsuitable material to customers i dont want to go that way.

i own my own domain, and thought i should give him one of the available emails on that, but how do i receive emails through my PC and pass them onto his laptop over the network??? and obviously how do i set it up so he can send emails through mine???

i know it can be done, but how....any ideas?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Why no let him have Gmail (Google mail) account.

They filter mail and I haven't had any dodgy stuff - yet.

If you want PM me it's by invitation only.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Sounds like you're making this more complicated than it needs to be.

You could run your own mail server, but if your ISP allocates you a number of mail addresses, just set up the client (Outlook or whatever) to retrieve from whichever accounts you want to have access to on that box. If you have more than one user of a machine and want each user to only have access to one mailbox, setup multiple windows users each with their own address.

If you only have one mail address, use multiple windows users, and manually setup some filters in the client software.

I manage five machines and four family members that way no problems.

Thay also seem to think that I don't have access to all their email :rolleyes:

Whatever you do, I would setup a Yahoo account or similar and forward all the mail to one of your ISP addresses, so that when it starts to get spammed, dump it for another, and forward that instead.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
heres the thing... my email addy goes something like this

Reddevil@mydomain.com

now obvously i can have anything before the @...
so in this case lets say i want RedDevil to come to this pc, but all Joebloggs@mydomain.com to go to another PC on the network
hows that done.... ive been looking in the rules and it doesnt seem that it can be done

Big companies have this system, for hundereds of workers... and i cant get it to work for 2!!

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
If you want to use @mydomain.com, and all addresses are chucked in together, then you need to use filtering rules, as you said.

Which client are you using?

In Outlook and Outlook express, you can setup a rule to say something like:

'delete everything not specifically addressed to xxx@mydomain.com'
or
'file everything cc'd to yyy@mydomain.com in folder yyy'
or
'if xxx found in subject line, file in folder spam' etc.

...but make sure you change the deletion options for the server to say 'leave on server until deleted from deleted items folder' or else the first PC to download the mail will delete it from the server, and nobody else can retrieve it.

Hope this makes sense.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
well thats wierd???

2 rules on the lads computer
1. if to line contains Ryan (sons name) move it to folder Ryan
2. ALL messages dont download from server

you would think that they contradict each other and not work wouldnt ya
but it works
i sent 4 emails... 2 addressed to my son and 2 address to anything else
i clicked send and receive on the lads pc, and received both the mail into the ryan folder :)
went on my pc, and did same...received the other 2

cool :D
cheers stick

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
NP

It's easy to get your knickers in a twist if you start getting too fancy. With three or more rules, it's really hard to predict what will happen in some cases, what with all those double-negatives etc! My advice is to keep it simple.

Glad it helped.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
i even stuck another rule in this morning.... in between doing my accounts lol (got sidetracked)

All messages forward to RedDevil@mydomain.com

so basically i am spying on him :) i also get a copy of everything he sends out too...

its not that i dont trust him, because to be honest hes been really good with the computer so far... he wanted a few games installing as expected, and he goes online to read about Cars and get pictures of them (printing over the bloody network and using all my ink!!! :) )
he also gets Xbox cheats.... then lies like hell and says hes not cheated :)

he also uses it to do his homework.

The reason for my snooping is because i dont trust OTHER people, to many perverts and hackers about.

Hopefully in time i wont have to keep watching him, he is actually quite good with computers, hes already got his phone link onto the PC, his MP3 player and he programs his gameboy with free games he downloads on a flashable cart??? hes only had the computer since xmas :)

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Sounds exactly like a 12 year old I know... :D