Large dishes

Baxter Boy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Canary Islands
We live in Fuerteventura, Canary Islands. From what I can gather, we need at least a 2.4 metre dish to receive Astra 2D. We have been quoted 5,500 euros (£3850.00) by an installer in Lanzarote for a 2.4 metre dish without any guarantee that we will receive Astra 2D in the evenings!

A 3 metre dish seems a better idea, and looking around on the internet we have discovered that we can buy a 3 metre petal dish manufactured by IRTE for about 2,150 euros (£1500.00). This appears to be a more cost effective and reliable solution. Has anyone had any experience with these dishes or the 2.7 metre dish from Hollstar?

ynot62

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
hi,
go to www.ciberland.com, a company in Valencia. You can buy a Prodelin 3.4 mts, which is a professional Sat Dish for about € 2,500 plus shipping.
Let me know how it goes..
I live in Sicily and I have your same problem, nobody can guarantee me anything till I buy it on my risk and I taste it. Amazing uh? They ask you so much but they dont take any respansability.
Ciao
Tony

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
I was in Tenerife in June and noticed that a lot of the bars have 3m/3.4m dishes.

So if they can get it so can you, see if you can find a bar with a big dish up on the roof. Maybe ask where they got it....or go back late at night and nick it.

richardinalex

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Alexandria, Egypt
Cor blimey - what a load of wonger - here in Sunny Egypt a 2.4m dish will cost you about 100 Sterling - and it'll come with an lnb, installed and kms of coax!

Go for the nicking option if you can carry it after a few jars!

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
The Prodelin 3.4 mts is a good dish and is well made , with have several around our offices through out the World and many have also equally aged very well.

The Irte design is ok however the dish can twist quite easily during assembly and after from high winds. primarly due the very thin aluminiuim and the supporting steel work used. in your area it might also be an idea to obtain a price from Patriot as they have a large re-seller in portugal- shiping costs also quite good.

a 3.0 mtr should be less than 1500 euros.

kind regards

Old Satellite

geoffreys

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 2.4m dish, Invacom 0.2dB LNB (single), Pace 430N
My Location
Famagusta District, Cyprus
richardinalex said:
Cor blimey - what a load of wonger - here in Sunny Egypt a 2.4m dish will cost you about 100 Sterling - and it'll come with an lnb, installed and kms of coax!

Go for the nicking option if you can carry it after a few jars!

Richard, what does it cost in sunny Egypt for a 3.8 or 4.0m solid dish?
Geoff, in sunny Cyprus

Baxter Boy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Canary Islands
Thank you for all the replies. The Prodelin & Patriot dishes look like interesting options.

Because of the weak Dollar and possible costly transportation costs from mainland Europe to the Canary Islands, I’m going to look into ordering direct from the States.

Regarding the nicking option, trucks with cranes are readily available to hire but so far I have not seen any 3 or 3.4 metre dishes on any bar roofs. They have probably been put off investing in a large dish due to the outrageous local installers’ cost of 5,500 Euros!

Thanks once again

Baxter Boy

psbcn

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Baxter Boy said:
Thank you for all the replies. The Prodelin & Patriot dishes look like interesting options.

Because of the weak Dollar and possible costly transportation costs from mainland Europe to the Canary Islands, I’m going to look into ordering direct from the States.

Regarding the nicking option, trucks with cranes are readily available to hire but so far I have not seen any 3 or 3.4 metre dishes on any bar roofs. They have probably been put off investing in a large dish due to the outrageous local installers’ cost of 5,500 Euros!

Thanks once again

Baxter Boy

I got mine from www.diesl.es. They have good offers, you call them and bargain ( I told them the cheapest I had seen and they offered me one the same price) and they told me they'd deliver free but not sure about Canary islands. You could e-mail them.

ynot62

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Baxter Boy said:
We live in Fuerteventura, Canary Islands. From what I can gather, we need at least a 2.4 metre dish to receive Astra 2D. We have been quoted 5,500 euros (£3850.00) by an installer in Lanzarote for a 2.4 metre dish without any guarantee that we will receive Astra 2D in the evenings!

A 3 metre dish seems a better idea, and looking around on the internet we have discovered that we can buy a 3 metre petal dish manufactured by IRTE for about 2,150 euros (£1500.00). This appears to be a more cost effective and reliable solution. Has anyone had any experience with these dishes or the 2.7 metre dish from Hollstar?

HI baxter
can u tell me please where did u get that price for IRTE 3 mts from?
which website?
Thank u
Tony

richardinalex

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Alexandria, Egypt
geoffreys said:
Richard, what does it cost in sunny Egypt for a 3.8 or 4.0m solid dish?
Geoff, in sunny Cyprus

Can't get such large dishes here - 2.8's about the biggest. If there was 2D would be beaming into the living room already!

Baxter Boy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Canary Islands
ynot62 said:
HI baxter
can u tell me please where did u get that price for IRTE 3 mts from?
which website?
Thank u
Tony

Hi Tony

I phoned IRTE’s UK office +44 1992 624 777 and spoke to Stephen Rabin.
He quoted £892.19 for a 3.1 metre dish and £300.86 for the stand. I suspect these prices exclude VAT. Because the Canary Islands are exempt from VAT, I did not check on this. I’m still waiting for a delivery cost.

Stephen seemed very helpful. I’m not quite sure if I wrote this down correctly but he suggested for improved Astra 2d reception trying “OMT, an automode transducer to switch between hi and low band. and using two lnbs.” One for horizontal signals and the other for vertical. Sorry if that sounds vague, but he was starting to get too technical for me. Does it make sense to anyone?

Baxter

Carlos

Reaction score
I am an amateur but the gain from a 3 metre petalized dish is about that from a 2.4 m Channel Master or Holstar so it seems you need the larger petalized dish just to stand still although it may well be easyier and cheapier to transport or am I missing something?

However for all of that it still seems incredibly difficult to actally get hold of a large dish at an acceptable price, at least here in Lanzarote. Only last week I was quoted 6,500 Euros for a Prodelin 2.4 m dish and Holstar quoted 1,260 Euros just for delivery!

rob43

Reaction score
My Location
canaries
there´s a company here in tenerife selling 2.4m dish + bracket + installation for 2995 euros. 922 721261. they might have bigger dishes. it would also be worth having a look in the paginas amarilla (yellow pages) for a local spanish sat company as they might give you a better deal . rob43

sayireand

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Madrid
OMT, an automode transducer to switch between hi and low band. and using two lnbs

Can anyone fill in on exactly what this involves as quite a few people have problems with one set of transponders or another. i.e. Scandanavia Horizontal seemingly stronger, Madrid vertical whereas Med. coast Horizontal.

Carlos

Reaction score
In addition to a requirement for a large satellite dish (as yet unresolved) I have been investigating the direct purchase from the States of heat pump for my pool. The potential savimgs are around 40% compared to the prices I am being quoted here in Lanzarote, and that includes for air freight costs which turned out to be surprisingly low to my way of mind ($475 [400 Euros] for 265 lbs [120 kg] of freight). More importantly its quick and I am assured its unlikely that there would be any damage unlike sea)

So keep us all informed how you go on.

Also would someone truly "in the know" like to write a mini spec so that those of not so informed know what to order as a supplier's package thereby avoiding the horror of finding out after delivery that some key but minor bit of kit has been left out. I found the Prodelin website a bit daunting!

Carlos

Reaction score
I can't find the website "www.diesl.es" however I search, perhaps the address is wrong?

Coviello

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Prodelin 11ft (335 cm)
Windows 2000 XP
My Location
Southern Italy
What about this one?
3m .125 painted DH-antenna (1pc) polar mount $1153.00
20' container rate CIF door to Naple Port Italy $2375.00
Coviello

Carlos

Reaction score
Baxter Boy said:

Thanks once again

Baxter Boy
Hi Baxter

How are you going on with your big dish purchase? I have been hoping to see a posting to help me with my decision. At the moment I'm torn between a 2.4m and a 3.5m from Ciberland though I have not spoken to them (I do not speak spanish unfortunately) with regard to transportation cost - hoping someone with experience of them will post.

BFN, Carlos

rob43

Reaction score
My Location
canaries
Carlos said:
Hi Baxter

How are you going on with your big dish purchase? I have been hoping to see a posting to help me with my decision. At the moment I'm torn between a 2.4m and a 3.5m from Ciberland though I have not spoken to them (I do not speak spanish unfortunately) with regard to transportation cost - hoping someone with experience of them will post.

BFN, Carlos

hi carlos. i saw on a post a while ago that ciberland have a girl who speaks english. rob43