Largest Wall Mounted Dish?

truth

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Could someone please advise me what is the largest dish size that can be wall mounted.I have ordered 1.2m channel master and am looking to track an inclined orbit satellite,everything is sorted regarding tracking just not sure if dish is big enough.Looking at unicorn prime focus 1.2m or 1.5m, are these any good,can i wall mount them?

Thanks for any help.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Which satellite are you looking to track and which beam ?

Your question depends on how strong the wall is. Ive seen 1.8m units on the wall and fitted a couple of 1.5m antennas.

The CM 1.2 has no inclination adjustment on the strandard antenna and being offset will have additional weight at the front of the mount

truth

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi Thanks for the reply been busy last 24 hours.
I'm looking to track eutelsat II F3 for horse racing feeds i've paid extra for mount,motor with up down adjustment to be able to track.The wall is strong as far as i know but is an old house,130 years old.I have contacted the installer and he assures me channel master is very good but to see what i can find out.i am situated on the west coast of cumbria.
Thanks again for any help you can provide

martinr

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi,
Your CM 1.2 will be fine on the wall as long as it's installed correctly. Can't comment on its ability to receive the desired channel however as I have no experience of same.

What I do have experience of is installing lots and lots of dishes. One of my own is a 2.3m attached to the (single skin) wall of my garage. Its's been up for about 7 years now without a problem, no cracks etc. Just spread the load sensibly using appropriate size T & Ks and u'll be ok.

Cheers
martinr

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Which modifications have been carried out to the CM dish to accomodate the elevation motor ?

Unless the bolt that passes through the canister of the dish has been modified to accept bearings that allow movement of 6-8 degrees of vertical movement without visible side play, I would insist on accepting only a separate H to H design with inbuilt declination adjustment.

Dont forget you need a separate set of cables to indoors, and another position driving device, unless of course you have access to an inclined orbit tracking receiver / dual axis controller and a digital derived AGC controller.

It could get expensive unless you are willing to look at a satellite signal meter every few hours and/or play around with sidereal positioning software to get a decent response from the dish.

A man after my own heart

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Before you collect the system from the dealer please ask them to set up the system and show you that the system will track Eutelsat 11F3.

A 1.2mtr dish will be marginal and your inclined orbit tracking will need to be both accurate and quick .

A prime focus dish is normally much easier to facillitate modification for tracking inclined orbit satellites however the Jaguar 1224 will accomidate the Channelmaster Dishes.

Whose mount have or are they suppling and how will you control the extra jack arm ?

Regards

Old Satellite

truth

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Right this is getting complicated above my head.I set off wanting the horse racing on eutelsat II F3 and went to the shop,we looked but no good.
Then some time later realised it was in inclined orbit and rang shop again,he realised problem but said i wouldn't be able to check for feeds in shop.
Anyway what ive ended up with at moment is 1.2m channel master,echostar ad 3600,the motor,mount whatever is 1224EL Supermount with inclined orbit tracking.
The shop has more or less guided me to these choices but i do need a reliable system as i will be packing in work if this comes off so i dont mind paying for good quality.
The same shop is going to install it for me and to be fair they seem to know what they are talking about.
As for the rest software,controlling jack etc really dont know i'm new to this and trusting installers to do good job.
I've decided to get a 1.8m dish if possible judging by what i have read on here and elsewhere i don't think a 1.2m will do the job.

Cheers

truth

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Can anyone give me a rough estimate of how much i would have to pay for full system with 1.8m dish motorised for tracking inclined satellite.Where could i buy this setup,cant find it on internet,mags etc,and also get it professionally installed?

Thanks

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Dont forget a 1.8m has a narrower beamwidth than a 1.2m and so everything behind has to be a little bit more accurate to keep it on station

A good 1.8 converted to drive in the elevation plane only would be about £700, mounting it on the wall is really only calculated by the man doing the job but budget for at least £400 for the hardware.

Add the cost of motor drive, cable and the receiver positioner system (if its single axis/one satellite it wont be too expensive, around £300 tops)

For the full DA system properly installed, save up at least £3000 for a semi automatic system and keep the cheque book open. Commercial systems with a beacon tracking receiver are in the region of £6500 before fitting !

truth

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi Thanks for help so far but i've hit a brick wall at the moment.

I have contacted my installer and he says a 1.8m dish cannot be wall mounted on gable end of a house,its too big,wind load etc.

He also says there is no motor available now big enough to drive it, the only one that could has been discontinued.

I would really appreciate it if someone can advise me if he is wrong and also recommend someone who can supply the equipment and install if possible.

I am in the north west but help from anywhere would be appreciated.

Cheers

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Firstly there are a number of mounts thatt will cope with a 1.8 mtr dish without any problem. The J 1224 will do quite nicely and is readly in supply and it is designed for both prime focus and offset dishes. (upto 2.4 mtr)

An Echostar 3600 reciever will drive a 5 mtr dish with the correct mount.

My own Echostar drives a 3.7mtr on a Horizon to Horizon mount without any problem!

The 1.8 mtr should not be fitted on a gable end the wind loading would be potentially far to high. is there not any other location that you have with access to eutlesat 11F3 ?

Has channel Hopper confirmed the costs with respect to watching these feeds is an expensive one.
Dealers are few and far between due to the nature of what you are looking to do.

The investment is high, dependent upon what you expect from the system.

Could you confirm exactly what you expect from the system ?

then we can try and help and advice further.

Regards

Old Satellite

truth

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I'm looking to access SIS horse racing feeds on eutelsat II F3,that is the ONLY satellite i'm interested in (anything else would be a bonus).

While i wouldn't say money is no object i am willing to pay around the £3000+ mark for a decent setup.

Unfortunately though i don't think i have anywhere else but the gable end to install a dish,i think i'll have to settle for a 1.2m and hope for the best.

If i have now run out of options thanks for all the help you have provided.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
If £3000 is your limit Ill be up there early next week and can deliver the kit on Friday for inspection

Seriously if one satellite is all you need it can be got for quite a bit less

Take some pictures of the gable end and post them. From that I can probaly tell you if your installer is right (he is wrong about discontinuing of good motor drives)

truth

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
You might not be serious but i am there's no point me spending £1500+ on a system that won't work.If someone can help me get this working then i'm sure i can make it worth their while.

I'm sorry but i don't have the equipment to be able to post photos all i can say is it is a 100+ year old house and has walls about 2 1/2 feet thick,so were not talking about a modern house with thinner walls.Don't know what else to say i've thought of every possibility but can't find anywhere else for it.However if anything can be done to spread the load etc i would do it without hesitation.

At the moment i'm getting the installation done on tuesday but he knows i have serious doubts about it.

So if there is anyone who can help with this then i am deadly serious,i desperately want this access to this satellite and am willing to pay for it.

Forgot to say do i not need a full motorised system to track an inclined orbit satellite then?

Cheers

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Theres no reason a £1500 would not work, however your installer has already found difficulty in locating the right type of actuator, has reservations about the wall strength, and naturally you need a second opinion

Basic rules apply, dont pay until you see the results, keep an eye on everything the installer does at the tiem, ask questions on the life expectancy and make sure the man knows and shows you how it operates at the time, not hand you the manual as he walks out the door

Cumbria is a bit remote for me I take it winds can be pretty fierce

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
when the installer has finished the installation, request for
him to show you fully the operation of the system,

if he expects you to move or adjust manually anything at the dish, i would advise you to say that this is not what you have paid for. 1500 should you a dual drive dish system. you should also not have to change the cables at the echostar either.

also check out the http://www.jaeger.com.tw/menu_framset.htm web site and review the 1224 mount so that you gain an understanding of what a dual mount should look like.

You will need still a motorised dish for both elevation as well as rotation. This is due to the orbital path of the Eutelsat 11F3 satellite.

With a 1.2 the gable end with the wall thickness that you specify should be ok but please ensure that the wall loading is evenly distrubuted, from the mounting and not just in one small area.

regards

Old satellite

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
You will need still a motorised dish for both elevation as well as rotation. This is due to the orbital path of the Eutelsat 11F3 satellite

Not strictly true, many people in Europe watch it on a single axis dish. The figure of eight movement is highly elongated in the vertical plane, a 1.8m will probably not lose signal from this satellite as it moves azimuthwise.

I can see where youre coming from but any request for complexity and I believe the installer will walk out of the door

Just make sure there are bearings somewhere on the back plate that allow movement vertically without wear and youll be alright

truth

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I agree i am getting in a good system and it should do a good job however after reading message boards etc i am not convinced the dish is big enough for this particular satellite.

I believe you need everything in your favour,clear day,not too busy transponder etc,and i need access most days.

The winds in cumbria can be a bit harsh but the wall is south facing and i think it misses the worst of it.

If there is anyone out there who can install a 1.8m dish etc for this satellite then obviously i wouldn't expect them to travel a long way for a couple of hundred quid installation fee!

I'm desperate to get this system so that i can then pack in work so lets just say the money is ready and waiting for anyone brave enough to travel to the wilds of cumbria.

Thanks

David Tynan

truth

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Sorry used email link didn't see last 2 posts.

I know he said i need this motor for side movement and another for horizontal and it needed to count or something,i believe that was what he said.

So i assume that means i getting what i want?

I realise i will need to adjust up and down and sideways regularly to keep tracking and if the dish is big enough and system good enough i will be more than happy with that.

Thanks for the help.

boron

Reaction score
My Location
NE Scotland
"I'm desperate to get this system so that i can then pack in work so lets just say the money is ready"...... Any guesses as to what this geezer has in mind!?