Last-minute deal on free-to-air satellite

N

net1

Hundreds of thousands of satellite viewers who would have been left with blank screens by the BBC's decision to break away from BSkyB and broadcast its satellite signal "in the clear" have been saved by a last-minute deal.
Sports and tourism minister Richard Caborn announced in parliament yesterday that the commercial broadcasters had "made a deal" that would see them investing hundreds of thousands of pounds in a scheme to provide special viewing cards to viewers of free-to-air satellite signals.

An estimated 600,000 viewers who have digital satellite systems but do not subscribe to Sky Digital were due to lose ITV, Channel 4 and Channel Five later this year when Sky changes its encryption system.

Since renegotiating its deal with BSkyB earlier this year and switching to its own satellite free of Sky's encryption, the BBC has stopped paying for the solus card that allows digital satellite viewers who do not subscribe to Sky Digital to watch the terrestrial channels.

While the commercial channels will contribute hundreds of thousands of pounds to the scheme, for the first time viewers will have to pay towards the cost of the cards.

"Good progress is being made and the broadcasters are close to a solution. I am able to announce you today very good news: they have now made a deal", said Mr Caborn during a recess yesterday afternoon.

"All the details are not finalised yet, but we already know that those people who currently have a non-subscription satellite viewing card and who wish to continue receiving the commercially funded public service channels without paying a subscription to Sky or another pay-TV broadcaster will be able to get a new card," he added.

The news will be greeted with particular relief by non-BSkyB subscribers who receive a poor analogue signal, forcing them to watch terrestrial TV through a satellite dish.

Mr Caborn said viewers would have to pay around £20 plus VAT for a new card, which would last for at least two years. He added that Sky had promised not to disable the existing cards until the scheme was up and running.

All affected viewers will be alerted to the new scheme through onscreen messages that will appear next week and direct them to a call centre.

"We believe this is a very good outcome. It has not been easy to achieve; and I want to take this opportunity to thank the broadcasters for their hard work," said Mr Caborn.

The BBC announced earlier this year it would no longer pay the £12 per subscriber annual charge for the cards after it opted out of BSkyB's encryption system in a move that the BBC director general, Greg Dyke, said would save the corporation £85m over five years.

The BBC now broadcasts "in the clear", meaning its channels can be picked up by anyone with a satellite dish, even if they do not have a Sky Digital subscription.

The three commercial terrestrial broadcasters remain contracted to BSkyB and continue to have their broadcasts encrypted. BSkyB has already said it would continue to provide the solus cards to non-Sky subscribers if terrestrial broadcasters paid for the service.

L

lisa

Many people are now getting the pop up message again
I did phone the number on the screen and was offered a free to view card for 23.50
check out this web page gives you all the info
www.free2view.tv
bye for now
lisa

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Just saw the information on that site Lisa, was a bit concerned at first whether it was legitimate.

L

lisa

rolfw said:
Just saw the information on that site Lisa, was a bit concerned at first whether it was legitimate.
a lot of my clients have started geting the message again I will bring the numbers home tomorrow that are flashing on the screen
I phoned them and after about ten options they told me the card would cost me 23.50 and would last min two years
nobody ever uses the chat room now why is that ???

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I pop in every now and then, but it's normally empty, seems the same on the irc rooms on most of the other forums as well for some reason.

alec

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
120 cm Laminas dish
Inverto Black Ultra Quad
Humax HDR1010S and Foxsat HDR; Topfield TF 4000 PVR
My Location
Southwest France
lisa said:
Many people are now getting the pop up message again
I did phone the number on the screen and was offered a free to view card for 23.50
check out this web page gives you all the info
www.free2view.tv
bye for now
lisa
Hmmm
£23.50 seems very close to the "Pout Uncut" option. Anybody know if that's still working?

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Went to the site.interesting but is it legit?who are these people,are they supported by Sky?What if you have a box which you bought second hand will they still supply you with a card?

easysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S + motorised 80cm dish, Amstrad DRX550 Digibox + fixed dish
My Location
pj::
alec said:
Hmmm
£23.50 seems very close to the "Pout Uncut" option. Anybody know if that's still working?
The 'failed online registration' route definitely doesn't work anymore. I don't know if telephoning Pout and registering for pay-per-night would still work. If it does, it would be cheaper at ~£9.

Looking at the new Solus site mentioned earlier, it is not clear what will happen with the Pout cards obtained without actually having registered. I will see tonight if I get a pop-up message or not with my card.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
zorba said:
Went to the site.interesting but is it legit?who are these people,are they supported by Sky?What if you have a box which you bought second hand will they still supply you with a card?

I had another look at the site and cannot find anything which actually aligns it with any company, although it does make vague reference to ITV, C4 and C5.

I think they will supply a card to anyone with a UK address.

dishdoctor

Hmm, now what seems to be the problem?
Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
It is a genuine site,if you want proof use the whois search,it will tell you who runs the site,a very big organisation in call centre management.........brian

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Well the first person who actually receives one after giving all their details and payment,please let us know.