LCD TV Questions

KEB

Reaction score
Hi All,

Our old 24inch Phillips TV has finally given up the ghost so a replacement has got to be found.
We have looked at most of the available LCD 28inc + flat screens in the various big name stores and small independents but we are getting a lot of conflicting infomation and opinions.
Our main requirement is for the set to be able to handle movement adequately so that sports broadcasts can be enjoyed without any apparent lag.
However, some LCDs are not too great on this and opinion seems divided on whether the current generation of LCDs can match CRT on this aspect.
This worry has led us to look at HD CRT sets as a suitable alternative to LCD.
However, the Samsung HD CRT doesn't get a particularly good write up either.
Has anyone any opinions or recommendations to offer on the best way to go ?
Another little worry that has come to light during the search is what happens when you watch a standard screen programme on a widescreen TV ?
Is it possible to upscale the picture so it fits the screen without side banding on most sets available as two black side bands would drive us mad !

All the best,

Kristian. :confused

Prophessor

Folding*home
Reaction score
Website
koizo.sourceforge.net
My Satellite Setup
[ Relook 250S ]
My Location
Madeira
KEB said:
However, some LCDs are not too great on this and opinion seems divided on whether the current generation of LCDs can match CRT on this aspect.

The newer models have a lot less lag, 8 to 4ms. I find that samsung has the best ones, but i can still see pixelation on regular and cable tv reception. On top of that the picture on some lcds is too aliased, specially around subtitles and similar stuff. For HD its almost perfect.

KEB said:
This worry has led us to look at HD CRT sets as a suitable alternative to LCD.
However, the Samsung HD CRT doesn't get a particularly good write up either.
Has anyone any opinions or recommendations to offer on the best way to go ?

My personal opinion is that a good crt is better or equivalent to plama, and plasma is better than lcd. I would go for a nice plasma, but the cost is pretty steep. So i would say, get an lcd with a high contrast ratio (4000:1 or more / 500 cd/m² or more), capable of displaying 24bit color and the lowest ms value (8ms or less), these are the things you should look for.

KEB said:
Another little worry that has come to light during the search is what happens when you watch a standard screen programme on a widescreen TV ?
Is it possible to upscale the picture so it fits the screen without side banding on most sets available as two black side bands would drive us mad !

All wide tvs have some sort of pan & scan and can fill the screen with more or less picture distortion, meaning the picture will be cropped on the top or the bottom or just make people fat.

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
Nice reply Prophessor

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
If you're a gamer then LCD may be better for you.

Samsung are good for LCD, Pioneer, Panasonic and Fujistsu make good (if pricey) plasmas.

BadWithComputer

The Local Drunkard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
30MB ADSL ONO, Spain
32" Internet connected TV
Many Satellite Dishes.
Humax HD Freesat Box
My Location
Spain
LCD´s are great, but thier main problem is the possibility of burned out pixles... Its the luck of the draw, you either get them, or you dont. I have one on my laptop´s sceen, top left hand corner, good thing it want slap bang in the middle!

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
AlexBellisBrown said:
LCD´s are great, but thier main problem is the possibility of burned out pixles... Its the luck of the draw, you either get them, or you dont. I have one on my laptop´s sceen, top left hand corner, good thing it want slap bang in the middle!
I hope people try these things before chucking their dodgy lcd screens and before anyone asks no it has nothing to do with me and I do not even know how effective they are but certainly worth a try

Bbigfoot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax 5400irc
80cm Dish
Invacom 0.3 LNB
ToH 3.3 5.7.

P4 Xp home
3.2 pro.
My Location
Tyne Wear
Hi JG..

As Proph said under 10 mili Sec LCDs are as good as a CRT TV
as far as Lag goes.
I have a 8ms Sony LCD and never noticed any Lag on Freeview
or Humax HDCI2000 boxes.

One little tip is...A 28 inch CRT TV has the same size screen
dimensions as a 26 inch LCD.
2 inches more screen size for your money with the LCD.

If you go for a LCD look to the future when they will transmite
1080p signals over tha Air.
So look for a panel with 1920 x 1080 resolution, that the
resolution of 1080p (Full HD without scaling).

BF...

Prophessor

Folding*home
Reaction score
Website
koizo.sourceforge.net
My Satellite Setup
[ Relook 250S ]
My Location
Madeira
There's always "the rub my pixel technique" or "gently tap my pixel". I wish it was a sexual thing. ;)

KEB

Reaction score
Hi All,

Many thanks for the replies. Despite thinking the Phillips was dead, I managed to get it repaired.
However, all the info is most valuable as I don't think I will be able to get it fixed again and so a new set will become inevitable at some point.

All the best,

Kristian