LCD v Plasma

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Aldi are selling an LCD TV next week and they have given the reason for choosing LCD over Plasma as this...

LCD TVs have a typical lifespan of over 50,000 hours (25 years of typical use), Plasma is only approximately 25,000 hours. Plasma TVs are very fragile and can easily be damaged during installation. LCD TVs are lighter, user friendly and more robust and therefore much less likely to get damaged. Plasma TVs can suffer from ‘burn-in’ after prolonged use that can result in permanent ‘ghost’ images being visible on the screen – LCD TVs do not suffer from this problem. LCD TVs use less electricity than Plasma TVs.

What does anyone think?

I prefer Plasma as the best ones have 8000:1 Contrast ratio this LCD has 600:1. I think by the end of next years most TVs sold will be one or the other.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
dynamo985 said:
how much are they selling for?

27 inch £599.99 Tevion

Picture-in-picture, 93mm wide, Picture freeze, aluminimum finish, 1280 x 720 resolution, Brightness 550cd/m square, 170 deg viewing angle, 16.7 million colours, Nicam stereo, 2 x 8 watt speakers built in, Infra-red remote, Full teletext with 254 page memory, progressive scan

VGA connector, DVI, 2 SCARTS, PC Audio, Auto tune/sort, OSD menu, wall mountable

684w x 493h x 93d (mm)

3 Year 'pick up, swap and return' warranty

27th December

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
a mate of mine who is a salesman at comet says, LCD will take over from Plasma as plasma have to many problems... customers are calling out the techs to the plasma's all the time, for various problems
pixels locking in to one colour ie you get a bright white dot in the middle of your screen that doesnt go away...( not always white and can be anywhere on the screen)
if you leave your TV on a channel with a logo (VH1, Cbeebies etc etc) then this gets burned into the screen and can be seen whatever channel your on :(

i have another mate who has had 2! and got rid of both (obviously didnt learn first time lol)
i personally have a back projection TV and i have had 2 screens replaced for the same burn in problem.... lucky for me i took out the extra cover from comet. they replaced them both no problem... but the engineer did tell me that the screen would have cost me £300 if i had to buy it!!!

having said all that, the mate who had 2 plasma's and got rid, has now got a ceiling projector, and plays games from his Xbox on an 8ft screen :) says its the best thing hes bought (payed £1,999 for it)
having been and looked at it, thats my next TV purchase :) (i also have an Xbox lol)

Jaffer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Samsung A300W with component output
Hotbird & Astra2
My Location
South East England
LCD is better than Plasma without any doubt. Plasma burns gas to produce the colours resulting more heat. Obviously the risk of damage is higher. LCD is liquid crystal display which we are using for many years say watches, calculators, monitors, display panels and so. They dont produce much heat and they last longer.

Contrast Ratio 600:1 is the lower end I believe. Products like Sony, Lowe etc have much better ratio. End of the day, you will get what you have paid for.

No doubt LCD will take over Plasma very soon. Dont be surprised if most of the Plasma users want to get rid of theirs. We will find them on eBay for £200-£300 by next year.

So dont rush - wait few more months and get an LCD with better resolution.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Well I spent a couple of hours looking at LCD TV's at the weekend and IMHO they were all sh!t. Plasma screens weren't much better. I couldn't find one that I could bear to look at for more than a couple of minutes.

And I'm blind as a bat. I'll be sticking with my 3 year old Sony 4:3 for a couple more years until the next generation screens come out.

:D

Jaffer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Samsung A300W with component output
Hotbird & Astra2
My Location
South East England
Hi Stick, I have spent weeks looking around and bought nothing yet.

That is why I said "So dont rush - wait few more months and get an LCD with better resolution."

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Agreed that LCDs are getting better BUT at the moment plasmas give the better quality of picture. Yes they do have the disadvantages of screen burn, greater fragility (not a problem once installed), shorter life and higher power consumption.

Set against that plasmas are cheaper, still have a better contrast ratio and are brighter. The problems with screen burn and life are not as bad as they used to be either. Granted these differences may disappear with better development of LCDs but we are talking about next week.

One thing I would say from personal experience is that when you start talking about big TVs (over 28") you really need image enhancement as you start to notice the lines/pixels otherwise. Personally I wouldn't buy ANY large screen TV (CRT, plasma or LCD) without it.

PaulR

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
BGonaSTICK said:
And I'm blind as a bat. I'll be sticking with my 3 year old Sony 4:3 for a couple more years until the next generation screens come out.
:D

Im with this idiot

Unless you want to fit it on a wall , or live in a bottle , get a tube - plenty around for half the price, are multisystem, include speakers, and last five years plus

Dont be an ass, the world still likes donkeys.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Most techies agree that CRT is still the best. My Philips with pixel plus is fantastic.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
jimbo said:
Most techies agree that CRT is still the best. My Philips with pixel plus is fantastic.
Yup, gotta agree with that. I also have a Philips, a 32pw9618, and it really is the mutt's nuts for picture quality.

Pity about the weight though.

PaulR

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
Got a 13 year old Sony 29 inch,picture is still great compared to many other new crt-tv:s and better than all flatscreens.I would wait a couple of years with buying a flatscreen.

If I had to buy a new one today it would be a crt again,if I had to go flat it would be a projector but not a backprojector though.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
PaulR said:
Pity about the weight though.

PaulR
Get a stand for it Paul.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
LOL, or get the wife to hold it...

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
BGonaSTICK said:

Theres a joke somewhere there

(Ill get my coat)

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Wait a bit for the new sets with a slimline CRT. They'll be about 38cm. deep compared to the present 60cm., and about a third of the price of an equivalent size LCD.
Should be arriving next year sometime.

Llew

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Llew said:
Should be arriving next year sometime.

Llew
HaHa, that's what they always used to say on Tomorrows World!

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
BGonaSTICK said:
Wife's not holding anything at the moment. Both hands are in bandages after having surgery yesterday for carpel tunnel syndrome.

Guess who's cooking the Chrimbo lunch now?

PaulR

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Ouch. Be sure to wish her a Happy Christmas and a speedy recovery from all at SCOUK!

... and don't forget to do the washing up as well...