Learning from the mistakes of others

N

net1

Thai Airways has refused to honour bookings made on its Web site after incorrectly pricing some flights, despite sending out confirmation letters.
In the latest example of a pricing blunder to hit the Web, Thai Airways has been practically giving away first class flights from London to Bangkok, asking customers to only pay the taxes, reports the site.
A number of high-profile blunders in the past have seen companies such as Argos, Amazon, First Choice and Kodak all make trouble for themselves by advertising products at the wrong price. But this latest instance shows that companies don't seem to be learning from the mistakes of others.
The site spotlights one disgruntled Thai Airways customer, Hannah Evershed, who had booked two return flights to Bangkok for just £111.40, including taxes.
'It is not uncommon to hunt out a bargain on the Web, and cheap airfares are just one example. To find out my reservation will not be fulfilled, despite receiving an email confirmation, left me feeling thoroughly disappointed,' said Evershed. 'Yes, it seemed that I was getting a good deal but the very nature of online offers is to find the bargains.'
A second email from Thai Airways to customers who had booked the bargain flights said: 'On 23rd April 2003, the prices shown on Thai Airways International's Web site for flights on the London to Bangkok route contained an error... Although you have sought to make a booking, I regret to inform you that the nature of this unfortunate but obvious mistake was such that Thai Airways International is unable to issue you with tickets.'