Leaving SKY

Graeme M

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Existing SKY HD installation
My Location
Southport, Merseyside
HI. I have decided to cancel my SKY tv package and wondered if the old SKY+ HD box I have can still be used to receive Freesat/Freeview at all? Using the existing dish would mean I wouldn't have to install another TV aerial. Internet advice all seems to be years old, just wondered what the current options were?
Thanks. Geraeme

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
You'll still be able to view freesat channels but no ability to record.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Hello, and welcome to the Forum.

Your existing dish and box can be used to receive all Free To Air Channels on the Sky Platform, but you'll lose Recording functions. Pull the Card for a while to check what'll be left. There's quite a lot!

I believe you can pay £10 a month to retain Recording function, but am happy to be corrected on that point.

Freesat is, for the most part, exactly the same Free To Air Channels but with different Channel Numbers and its own proprietary EPG. If you get fed up with the Sky box you've already got, you can just swop out the Sky box for a pukka Freesat box ... You can get them with PVR features, if you wish.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
PS Freeview is not possible, as that's yet another Platform, but not from Satellite .... that's the one you get from an "aerial" and it also needs a (cheap!) dedicated box.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
HI. I have decided to cancel my SKY tv package and wondered if the old SKY+ HD box I have can still be used to receive Freesat/Freeview at all? Using the existing dish would mean I wouldn't have to install another TV aerial. Internet advice all seems to be years old, just wondered what the current options were?
Thanks. Geraeme

If you let us know what television and/or other devices you have in the corner of the room we might be able to work out if you already have the ability to watch without buying other kit.

What factors made you decide to leave the best content provider on the planet ?

Last edited:

Graeme M

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Existing SKY HD installation
My Location
Southport, Merseyside
I have a samsung smart 3d blu ray player with all catch up TV through the Smart HUB. Also LG Smart TV with Netflix and Time machine 2 recording capability. So i'll be happy with the SKY box as a freesat receiver. Thanks
The decision to leave SKY is financial. |I joined a year ago, with some promotional offers making VarietyTV, anytime Phone and 20m Broadband only £44 a month. Now the offers have expired, it goes up to £75 a month. They are offering new customers SKY Q, Fibre and phone for £42!! They just don't get why existing customers get annoyed at subsidising new customers.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Cancel, and hold your ground. The offers for discounts will come in as Sky would rather have people on a big discount rather than losing them completely. 50% discounts are not unusual

John Pykett

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish setup: 80cm Motorized Dish, TM-5402 HD M3. This setup goes from 1w to 28.2e

My computer setup: AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.10 GHz processor and 8GB of ram. Graphics Card is NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti. OS: Windows 10 64 Bit
My Location
Hucknall, United Kingdom
yes if you cancel and take out the card you should be able to receive all fta channels but the pay channels will still be listed in epg so its best to get a freesat hd box with pvr if you want to record and get free hd channels

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
That's correct except you don't need to take the card out. I think there are even a couple of FTV channels that are available with an expired card.

As well as losing the recording facility you'll also lose access to any programmes already reacorded. So watch 'em while you can.

drats

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+Duo, Vu+Duo2, Vu+Zero, Gibi 1.5m, TBS 6903 PCI
My Location
North West UK
I have done exactly this and also cancelled today, A subscriber for over 20 years, now paying over £120 per month!! The final straw was Liberty pulling Discovery and Eurosport channels from Sky platform. I called to re negotiate a cheaper price if I stay another 12 months.....They didnt care a jot..The 2 minute call consisted of 'why do you want to leave?', OK sir thats all done for you, your service ends in 30 day, goodbye!'. I must say I feel liberated after all theses years! Let them carry on offering the full package for £40 to new customers I say! :-dgang

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I have done exactly this and also cancelled today, A subscriber for over 20 years, now paying over £120 per month!! The final straw was Liberty pulling Discovery and Eurosport channels from Sky platform. I called to re negotiate a cheaper price if I stay another 12 months.....They didnt care a jot..

How much ??????????

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
Sky is a very good service but its the same old argument, it is way over priced
Most people pay over £1000 a year to watch Sky TV alone

Until they have serious competition they will not change their ways and here is the reason why...
YOU will sign up again with sky eventually, everybody always does..... a very high percentage do.
They always laugh last :)

drats

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+Duo, Vu+Duo2, Vu+Zero, Gibi 1.5m, TBS 6903 PCI
My Location
North West UK
How much ??????????

£123 to be exact, sports movies, entertainment packs with mutv and 3 multiroom boxes AND on top of that 3 BTsport HD subs that involed having to have 2 BT accounts as you are only allowed 2 sky boxes on one account, so that was an extra £32.99 + £26.99.

The kids are a bit miffed its all coming to an end, but like I told them, go and get a job, buy a house and get your own sky sub! :-buttkick

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
My four subscriptions I have in my man cave cost less together than one Sky sub downstairs. Three of them carry Discoveries and Eurosport. Sky should be ashamed of themselves....

I have little chance of getting Sky canned due to the wife having the last word. I will stomp and shout for my discount though....