LED TV Problem

i11usive

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Errrr
My Location
Southern Spain
I bought a Samsung LED 55" 7000 series at the end of October 2011 - under warranty for two years. The picture quality of the screen was absolutely superb and did not suffer any backlight problems I have read about, but I recently noticed dead pixels on the screen and reported it to the shop I bought it from who arranged to have it collected/repaired.

The panel was changed and the set returned yesterday evening. However, I'm not impressed - have a look at the attached picture. The screen has a huge amount of backlight bleed and the HD picture somehow doesn't look as sharp as it was. I'm starting to regret having it looked at. Of course, I immediately phoned the repair company to tell them I was not happy, and they have promised another visit this evening. But I just wanted to try and get a bit more knowledge on what might have happened here, and perhaps how you think this should be resolved?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Attachments

• SamsungImage.jpg
    SamsungImage.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 95

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Don't suppose that you have a pic of the screen before it was sent away? It's a bit difficult to say without a before and after comparison. Having said that the picture does look too bright.

Also, are you sure that you got the same TV back? Did they swap the completre unit and now it's not set up the way you used to have it?

i11usive

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Errrr
My Location
Southern Spain
No, unfortunately I didn't think to take a picture before it was serviced. I was told they had just changed the panel - all the apps I had installed were still there when I got it back. I know for a fact that the backlight bleed wasn't like that before it was taken away ... we use the YouTube app quite a lot and I would've noticed.

The gradients on Sky's EPG don't look right either - it isn't a smooth gradient, more like stepped. Very frustrating!!

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
i11usive said:
The gradients on Sky's EPG don't look right either - it isn't a smooth gradient, more like stepped. Very frustrating!!
That sounds to me like the image processing has been set too aggresively for sharpening up the picture. They have probably reset all your picture settings when they fitted the new panel so see what you can do in the picture quality menu.