Legacy French TPS Digital Receiver For French TNT ???

VideoGuy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-
My Location
UK
I have a legacy French TPS digital receiver (later swallowed up by CanalSat) sitting in my garage. The box is a Thompson DSI30 TPS and is software configurable to a certain extent wrt transponder settings. It pre-dates HDMI so no HD but it has a card slot so I am wondering if it can receive the French TNT stations ? Maybe/not MPEG4 ???? Is it good for anything or should I junk it ???

Either way.... will I eventually be able to configure one dish and x2 LNB to get simultaneously Freesat from A2D at 28.2E as well as TNT from Astrasat 19E without a motorised setup ???

Thanks in advance

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
It was often the case that the firmware for such stb's was nobbled to limit usefulness on other satellites, but perhaps it was not and it may be worth giving it a try.

As regards Freesat that is no longer transmitted from 2D however two lnb's 9.2 degrees apart will not be a problem feeding into a disecQ switch from the UK indeed it would be preferable from the speed of channel changing aspect but did you mean Canalsat France on 19.2 East as opposed to TNT?

VideoGuy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-
My Location
UK
Thanks for the reply Topper,

To be quite honest I don't really have time to venture on a trial & error setup with no promise of success, especially if I have to buy a TNT card on the offchance it may work.

There is an existing Freesat single tuner at this location fed from a single dish/lnb but the user is not at all tech savvy. I wanted to add a quick & cheap French satellite solution on top of the Freesat but bearing in mind the low tech capability of the user it may be advisable to simply add a proprietry TNT tuner so that things are kept simple for them (EPG etc.). I can buy one on the next booze run in Calais because we have the use of a French address if necesary.

Can I fit the existing dish with a twin LNB head with two downfeeds... one to each tuner ??? Will that be fiddly to convert an existing alignment ???

Regards
VG

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
VideoGuy said:
Can I fit the existing dish with a twin LNB head with two downfeeds... one to each tuner ??? Will that be fiddly to convert an existing alignment ???

Regards
VG

In theory yes but you want an lnb multibracket to fit the existing dish and two separate lnbs which will be pointing in different directions to receive the two satellites, but as yet you have not mentioned the size of the existing dish. If you need recording facilities to record whilst watching another channel then you will need two twin lnb's one for each satellite