Less Sky soccer in pubs?

N

net1

BSkyB is planning to hike its subscription prices for pubs and clubs, prompting cuts in the number of venues showing live football. The satellite broadcaster has reportedly written to subscribers to its services informing them that prices will rise by 8-22 per cent from September. In response, West Midlands-based Wolverhampton & Dudley Breweries said it will cut the number of pubs showing Sky from 280 to 190, while Yates's Wine Lodges will reduce its venues from 50 to 10 from August. Sky is shown in around 30,000 pubs and clubs in the UK, each paying as much as E1,450 a month.
"A number of companies have reduced their outlets with TVs already, because prices charged meant it was uneconomic," said Rob Hayward, the CEO of the British Beer and Pub Association. "More pubs will withdraw their TV screens when confronted with an increase of seven times inflation."

A spokesperson for BSkyB was reported as saying that the price rise "reflects the quality we offer as part of our package." He pointed out that the company will soon be showing 14 Uefa Champions League matches every week, on top of a large range of sports events.

zansi

Moderator & General Globetrotter
Reaction score
Website
digiboxes.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Openbox F3 85cm dish H to H motor, Dell Vostro Laptop
My Location
North West UK
Why do Sky not pursue the 10's of thousands of bar's throughout Europe illegally showing Sky Sports and only paying a punter price for their subscription?

Seems unfair to the UK pub's and clubs having to pay Sky extortionate rates for their legal viewing! ^-J

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
zansi said:
Why do Sky not pursue the 10's of thousands of bar's throughout Europe illegally showing Sky Sports and only paying a punter price for their subscription?

But if Sky did that they would have to terminate their subscription, they couldn’t offer them a pub one to a European pub, thus they would loose money.

So from Sky’s viewpoint, why spend money on something (finding the pubs in Europe) that is ultimately going loose you money?