Lidl's Latest Package

tramp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Silvercrest LIDL receiver package
My Location
Cumbria
Is anyone out there having more success than me in setting up this box of tricks ??

I' m a complete satellite novice and would welcome some expert advice.

The story so far

I' ve bought a package from Lidls consisting of a dish with digital twin LNB cable and receiver (Silvercrest SL65). I' ve got it up and running and can receive a host of mainly German channels on ASTRA19. The only other sat I can see is the ASTRA28EAST which my box shows carries the BBC channels I really want, but although I can receive other channels when I select any of the BBC ones I simply get the message 'No Audio or Video available'.

I know in the past people have had problems with lidl boxes and these have been tied to the fact that the 'PID' (I' ve no idea what this is, or how to change it), have changed.

Any ideas ?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
:-welcome to the forum tramp

There are lots of threads relating to the Lidl receivers, can I suggest you use the search function and type in lidl then get reading. For one of the threads click here there are many others have a read, a play and then come back to us having tried all the suggestions in the threads

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
:-Welcome1

You should also get a good few Free-to-air of Hotbird satellites at 13 deg East a lot of foreign channels.

I take it you bought the £3.99 Satellite finder?

If you did finding Hotbird should be a doodle.

Here's a list of Free channels in English - UK Free

mick2me

Reaction score
Website
www.nottstalgia.com
My Satellite Setup
'Fortec Star Passion' (& a dead SL65) One of them big Woks on the outside, and a thingy that moves it about a bit.
My Location
Nottingham
I just set mine up. Picked absolutely nothing up at first.
I was aiming too high. Try scanning around what would be the horizon
then work your way up.

Yes I am glad I got the £3.99 sat finder, much better than that in the box.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
I've got one, it works fine on Astra2

Yes, at first you'll get nothing, because Astra 2 isn't "preset" in the default lists. So, first "find" Astra2, using meter, then do a complete satellite scan (via menu), and it will find and store the channels for you.

(if you don't want the encrypted channels listed, which of course you can't view, then go back and do "edit", and re-scan for FTA channels only!).

PS, you can also get Hotbird, which is "just to the right" of Astra1 !"

tramp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cumbria
mick2me said:
I just set mine up. Picked absolutely nothing up at first.
I was aiming too high. Try scanning around what would be the horizon
then work your way up.

Yes I am glad I got the £3.99 sat finder, much better than that in the box.

I' ve got ASTRA at 19 and 28East but although the BBC sites are listed after a scan for 28 EAST I still get the no Audio or Video signal present when I try to view them. Did you have to rescan or change any of the pre-sets ?
Maybe my dish just isn't lined up well enough ?? although I do get other ASTRA28 channels ?

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Ok, Tramp, then your equipment is obviously all working, and you’ve also found and scanned Astra2, so it’s just a matter of sorting out this particular problem!

I got only the Lidl receiver, (and am using my existing Sky minidish). Knowing more about your antenna would help. What size dish (cm)? What lnb arrangement (one, or more than one on adjustable brackets, or “monobloc”- ie - 2 or more horns but only 1 output)?
(If I’m ok with just a 43 cm minidish , any dish you got must be bigger, so you should also be ok!).

(In what follows, if using a multi-lnb dish, please use the same lnb each time, and select satellite by re-positioning dish. I realise that's a pain, especially if going up and down a ladder, but it should give a "clearer" result.
Also, when positioning on a particular satellite, to find max signal, remember to move dish up and down, as well as from side to side!).

Use Astra1 as “reference” (since that’s “working”). Do you get all channels ok, without any “breaking up”? (if not, then you’ll have trouble with Astra2, since it transmits at slightly lower power!).
To receive properly, “signal quality” (NOT strength!) should be around 38% or higher, although some channels might be ok below this. If there’s problems with some Astra1 channels, look at signal quality on them. Otherwise, what is “typical” Astra1 quality?

Assuming Astra1 is ok, now go for Hotbird, which you find by rotating dish approx 5 degrees to right (looking from behind dish!). Adjust dish to maximise signal strength - it’s noticeably lower than Astra1 – and check you’ve really got Hotbird by going through preset channels list in receiver.
Are all Hotbird channels ok, with adequate reception and quality? If so, then you should also be ok with Astra2, which transmits with a strength somewhere between Astra1 and Hotbird (if Hotbird isn’t ok, then you may have an antenna problem!).

So, assuming Hotbird was ok, now put antenna back on Astra2. First check you can get some channels, then look at signal quality on the BBC channels; is it below the required 38%? If so, then almost certainly something is blocking the line-of-sight signal path between Astra2 and your dish, so check this! Remember, the “signal beam” goes upwards at approx 26 degrees (even though the dish “seems” to be pointing straight forward!). Growing trees are often the culprit.

This should all work! If not, then at least going through above steps should provide specific info for further diagnosis.

PS, I've just been looking at the most recent Lidl "sat package" offer - which I assume you got - and it seems they give you a 60cm dish with monobloc lnb. This will simultaneously get Astra1 and Hotbird, on a fixed (not motorised!) dish. But, you can't then also get Astra2! If you point dish at Astra 2, you'll get it, but then will get neither Astra1 nor Hotbird (oh dear!).

The easiest solution - if you're in a "reasonable" Freeview reception area (look at local roof aerials, and try out a friendly neighbour's Freeview box on your existing tv aerial If this works, just buy a (decent quality, not cheapest!) Freeview receiver, and you'll get the BBC channels that way (plus the BBC digital text services, which are also on Astra 2 satellite, but the Lidl receiver can't decode them!). Freeview will also give you more "good" channels, such as E4, ITV2, etc, which are subscription only on Sky.
Then, you'll get the "Best Deal", with all Free Astra1 and Hotbird and Freeview channels!

If you can't easily get Freeview, then you might consider putting a diseqc motor on the 60cm dish, to move it between Astra1/Hotbird and Astra2, I think they're around £50 upwards.

tramp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cumbria
spiney said:
Ok, Tramp, then your equipment is obviously all working, and you’ve also found and scanned Astra2, so it’s just a matter of sorting out this particular problem!

I got only the Lidl receiver, (and am using my existing Sky minidish). Knowing more about your antenna would help. What size dish (cm)? What lnb arrangement (one, or more than one on adjustable brackets, or “monobloc”- ie - 2 or more horns but only 1 output)?
(If I’m ok with just a 43 cm minidish , any dish you got must be bigger, so you should also be ok!).

(In what follows, if using a multi-lnb dish, please use the same lnb each time, and select satellite by re-positioning dish. I realise that's a pain, especially if going up and down a ladder, but it should give a "clearer" result.
Also, when positioning on a particular satellite, to find max signal, remember to move dish up and down, as well as from side to side!).

Use Astra1 as “reference” (since that’s “working”). Do you get all channels ok, without any “breaking up”? (if not, then you’ll have trouble with Astra2, since it transmits at slightly lower power!).
To receive properly, “signal quality” (NOT strength!) should be around 38% or higher, although some channels might be ok below this. If there’s problems with some Astra1 channels, look at signal quality on them. Otherwise, what is “typical” Astra1 quality?

Assuming Astra1 is ok, now go for Hotbird, which you find by rotating dish approx 5 degrees to right (looking from behind dish!). Adjust dish to maximise signal strength - it’s noticeably lower than Astra1 – and check you’ve really got Hotbird by going through preset channels list in receiver.
Are all Hotbird channels ok, with adequate reception and quality? If so, then you should also be ok with Astra2, which transmits with a strength somewhere between Astra1 and Hotbird (if Hotbird isn’t ok, then you may have an antenna problem!).

So, assuming Hotbird was ok, now put antenna back on Astra2. First check you can get some channels, then look at signal quality on the BBC channels; is it below the required 38%? If so, then almost certainly something is blocking the line-of-sight signal path between Astra2 and your dish, so check this! Remember, the “signal beam” goes upwards at approx 26 degrees (even though the dish “seems” to be pointing straight forward!). Growing trees are often the culprit.

This should all work! If not, then at least going through above steps should provide specific info for further diagnosis.

PS, I've just been looking at the most recent Lidl "sat package" offer - which I assume you got - and it seems they give you a 60cm dish with monobloc lnb. This will simultaneously get Astra1 and Hotbird, on a fixed (not motorised!) dish. But, you can't then also get Astra2! If you point dish at Astra 2, you'll get it, but then will get neither Astra1 nor Hotbird (oh dear!).

The easiest solution - if you're in a "reasonable" Freeview reception area (look at local roof aerials, and try out a friendly neighbour's Freeview box on your existing tv aerial If this works, just buy a (decent quality, not cheapest!) Freeview receiver, and you'll get the BBC channels that way (plus the BBC digital text services, which are also on Astra 2 satellite, but the Lidl receiver can't decode them!). Freeview will also give you more "good" channels, such as E4, ITV2, etc, which are subscription only on Sky.
Then, you'll get the "Best Deal", with all Free Astra1 and Hotbird and Freeview channels!

If you can't easily get Freeview, then you might consider putting a diseqc motor on the 60cm dish, to move it between Astra1/Hotbird and Astra2, I think they're around £50 upwards.

Wow!!

Loads of ideas to try.
re Freeview. Unfortunately West cumbria is not covered by digital telly or radio and there are no plans as yet for us to be included. (We can't even get Channel 5 on terrestrial). anyway enough of this rant.
after a bit of research I' ve more or less come to the conclusion that signal strength is the problem and I'll get back on the roof at the week end and try again. thanks for the direction info I'll definitely give Hotbird a go. You' re correct about my setup and I' m intrigued by these diseqc motors. Are they fairly standard,ie will anyone do? do they need a seperate power supply or are they powered by the receiver ?

Is Astra1 the Astra at 19E and Astra2 the Astra at 28E

Much appreciated

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
tramp said:
I' m intrigued by these diseqc motors. Are they fairly standard,ie will anyone do?

Yes, DiSEQC is the system used to move the motor

do they need a seperate power supply or are they powered by the receiver ?

The power is sent along the coaxial cable from the receiver - so no extra power supply needed.

Is Astra1 the Astra at 19E and Astra2 the Astra at 28E

The Astra satellite numbers don't indicate their position i.e. Astra 2C is at 19.2 East but Astra 2A, B and D are at 28.2 East

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
Hello tramp, yes I did go on a bit, sorry (!) .....

The monobloc type lnb (2 horns, 1 output) is for getting Astra1 and Hotbird on 1 dish (60cm or bigger), switching being via diseqc "signals" to lnb from the receiver (the Silver Crest has diseqc onboard).
This works because the 2 separate horns are only slightly displaced from the dish "prime forcus" (where signal gain is maximum, so it's where a single lnb would go), and therefore gain on each horn is only slightly reduced, from what it would be if exactly at the prime focus.

But, getting Astra2(Sky) - as well as Astra1/Hotbird - is more difficult, as these 3 satellites together have a much greater angular separation.
If you want a single dish solution for this, using a special lnb bracket, then the "endpoint" lnbs - for Astra2 and Hotbird - will be quite far apart, and hence each get reduced signal gain, so the dish needs to be fairly big, maybe 80cm upwards. Although there's special dishes exactly designed for getting these 3 satellites together.
With what you've already got, it would be simpler to fit a diseqc motor, which will work with the lidl receiver (see diseqc setup page), and just goes onto existing coax cable. However, this has to be "set up" to work properly, as the moving dish has to closely track "the arc" on which all DBS satelllites lie.
DIseqc motors are standard, all accept the same "commands", but more expensive one are usually better quality, and not all have USALS.

Sat supplier links are on the links pages, this website. For some ideas, look at www.satellitesuperstore.com , which is a "messy" website, but has lots of pics of various dish setups.

misterminibus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kodi
My Location
Lancashire
Hey spiney,
I have bought the Lidle box set and have fitted it for a friend I use the meter with it and thought it was fantastic...
I could get astra 1 and 2 but only about 5 fta from hotbird im in Manchester I see your in Brum I realise you are a little nearer than I am but you say you use a 40cm mini dish I am using a 57 cm so it should even out do you get more than 5 fta...
I use a cam in my system and have heard about "flashing" is this anything to do with clearing encrypted stuff ?
Regards
Daren

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
yeah, I'm pretty well Brum!

Sorry, but I'm no CAM expert, so you must ask "those who know", in the appropriate thread.

(I think it means altering firmware, some CAMS - especially built-in non-removable ones - can be reconfigured to behave as different types, but I'm only guessing!).