Line of sight??

excotec

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
uh::no
I can get between 70 and 100 on signal strength when looking at Astra and hotbird but the signal quality stays at 0. It never moves. I took my receiver to a friends place and it works fine. The receiver is a humax 5350. Even though I get good signal strenght could it still be a line of sight problem?

Excotec

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Certainly could be, is this a steerable system?

It could be the skew on the LNB, or a mismatch on frequency of the LNB's local oscillator, what size is the dish by the way.

Rolf

excotec

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
It is a 80cm dish. It is stationary. I was manually moving it from sat to sat trying to get something to work. It is a universal lnb. I hope I can get it to work. Wife is a little upset that I paid so much for something that may not work. On a positive note I am using a old dish that I borrowed from a friend so maybe the lnb is bad. If it is a line of sight prob then I am just out of luck. As it stands I have to keep it as low as I can so as to try and hide it. It is against our housing rules to have one.

Excotec

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 15-Mar-02 AT 09:18 PM (GMT)]What you need to do is set the receiver to an Astra 19.2 channel, make sure it's something that is still operative. You can check that on http://www.lyngsat.com , once you have it set on a viable channel that isn't encrypted, try scanning very slowly for the satellite, it will take a couple of seconds for the meter on the receiver to respond. If you can borrow an old analogue receiver, it will make the job much much easier.

Also check that the LNB is a universal, as most of the digital channels are in the upper band frequencies.

Rolf

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello Ex

You haven't said which frequencies/polorizations you tried, or have trouble with.

As a test, you should try transponders in Horizontal and Vertical polarization, on High and on Low. - i.e. one of each - four in all.

Let us know what the result is, as this might help in diagnozing your problem.

Regards

W. Hole

excotec

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Got it to work. It was a faulty lnb. Due to a line of sight problem I can only get sirus but it is better than nothing. Hopefully they will add to this location in the future. Thanks for your help. Now my next mission is to learn how to use a programer.

Excotec