Reaction score
Website
v850.blogspot.com
My Satellite Setup
60CM Sky dish, Thomson LNB, PACE DS430N and FS Lifetime Ultra +
My Location
Ireland
Hi,

I'm from Ireland, and I'm hoping eventually to get satellite, once I've read around a little. But firstly, my terrestrial picture.
I have a VHF aerial and a 48 element UHF aerial. the signal from the UHF is amplified, the VHF not. When the amplifier is switched off and the UHF antenna is disconnected, the local channels are perfect, apart from a line down the middle. But when they're both connected and the UHF amplified,there are loads of horizontal lines across the screen (on the local channels only) - possibly from the power adapters in the loft?

L

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Firstly can I say I am surprised that VHF tv is still transmitted I thought those transmissions stopped years ago. Why use VHF at all if you can receive UHF. This set up may be 'normal' for your particular area but it is not normal to me. I suspect that the lines are caused by interference fringing from the oscillator in the amplifier (which will be designed for use with UHF only probably) but I am curious to know how you are combining the two inputs, and suspect therein lies the root of your problem.

Psychobiker

Reaction score
Website
v850.blogspot.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
standard Y splitter....

Psychobiker

Reaction score
Website
v850.blogspot.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
standard Y splitter....

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
That depends on what it looks like, it should be a UHF/VHF combiner splitter like here just a standard indoor splitter I do not think will work for you, but there again I am not an expert at these things. Do you have a picture of yours?

Psychobiker

Reaction score
Website
v850.blogspot.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
nay, it's not one like that!

I'll avail ASAP

Thanks!

L

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Psychobiker, when you say "lines", can you give more info?

There's possibly: a) picked up interference from all sorts of things, made worse by large aeirals and inadequate cables; :cool: wrong coaxial termination, causing signal reflections.

In general, you should use:

1) The correct type and gain aerial - whether it's VHF or UHF - for the transmitters you're getting.

2) Satellite grade (solid outer screen) cable.

3) A properly designed masthead combiner, for combining the differently banded aerials.

4) Baluns (maybe).

On a high gain aerial, with nearby electrical stuff, you might still get analogue tv interference whatever you do!

Satellite is cheap to obtain - as against the cost of any new aerial stuff - and fairly easy to set up, and you shouldn't get any problems like these.

I don't know which channels you want, or - offhand - if RTE is subscription only on Sky.

Psychobiker

Reaction score
Website
v850.blogspot.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
we can get RTÉ perfectly when the big 48-element BBC aerial or amp isn't connected. BBC1/2/ITV/C4 are freeview digi?

L

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Go to This Site or This site and scroll down the page to identify what your interference looks like.

Psychobiker

Reaction score
Website
v850.blogspot.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
yup! I've got a WRAP (wireless router application platform) up on the stack, essentially a computer. producing horizontal lines and also bad picture from cross signals and elec interference