Linux LiveCD version for 7 year old laptop and pensioner newbie

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
Can anyone recommend a Linux LiveCD (or LiveDVD) distro for an ageing 7 year old HP laptop and a pensioner newbie to Linux and where to download an iso for it?

A

archive10

Mint is very good on low spec machines, might be worth a go.

Good luck:Y
Agree. I have several laptops of that vintage, including HP ones, and they work well with Mint.
However... i have upgraded them all to max RAM (4G:cool:...

Can you share a little about processor, RAM, HDD etc?

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
Processor is a dual core T4300 2.1 ghz with 3 GB RAM.
HDD is defunct at this time (Smart Drive fail) and was 250 GB but as this laptop was rescued by a friend at a late relatives house clearance minus a couple of covers (HDD and WiFi modem) I wanted to check it out with a LiveCD to make sure everything else he needs is working OK - sound, network etc. Replacing/upgrading HDD is not a problem if it is working enough to make it worth while - surfing net, playing video/music files etc

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
That's the same spec. as our Mint powered Laptop.

Goes like sh*t off a shovel.

And the beauty of Mint is that anyone who has used a Windows O/S will be able to use it instinctively, straight out of the box.

A major new release - Mint 19 - goes into public Beta tomorrow and is scheduled for release in about a month. Unlike the old days, it is upgradeable in situ, so if you get Mint 18 on the Live DVD and decide to install it, you won't have to start from scratch if you subsequently want to update.

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
Well I found a LiveDVD iso for Ultimate Mint (only 17.2). Everything on laptop (except HDD and missing WiFi card) checks out OK (including an HDMI output to TV I hadn't previously noticed) so now just fully charging it so I can test battery life.

A

archive10

Well I found a LiveDVD iso for Ultimate Mint (only 17.2). Everything on laptop (except HDD and missing WiFi card) checks out OK (including an HDMI output to TV I hadn't previously noticed) so now just fully charging it so I can test battery life.
Just get a new HDD and pop it in - there should be plenty of life in that machine w. Mint.

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
I have a slight problem with it at present - trying VLC player on a video, laptop screen gives correct picture (in box or full screen) whereas TV from HDMI output merely shows Mint desktop background. Probably a configuration issue - I'm used to my Windows laptop displaying on both its screen and TV simultaneously. I can't play any more at present so will have a dig tomorrow.

statalite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nova-HD-S2, Dr HD D15, Free sat V7S, Free sat v8 finder V-71HD
Zone 1 @ 28.2°E
Zone 2 @ 19.2°E with 28.2°E and 13.0°E
Channel Master 1.0m (to be setup)
Channel Master 1.2m (to be setup)
SMR 1224
My Location
UK Midlands
The TV is like a second monitor so just click and drag the VLC window into the TV.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Make a bootable flash drive with the minty image on it and you can build the laptop with that instead of the dvd drive. Its much quicker too.

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
The TV is like a second monitor so just click and drag the VLC window into the TV.
Thinking about it I had to set Windows up on other laptop so have now found system settings, display, mirror screens and it is now OK.
Dragging on desktop woildn't I believe work fully as you would be unable to view full screen and frameless.

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
Make a bootable flash drive with the minty image on it and you can build the laptop with that instead of the dvd drive. Its much quicker too.
USB not really an option at present - only 2 USB ports and needed for WiFi dongle and his digitl cameras (used a lot) andas this is only a temporary fix for him to decide between Windows or Linux a LiveDVD (Ultimate Mint LiveDVD with Libre Office, Firefox and many other useful programs) - I will be fitting HDD and re-installing Windows 7 on it so DVD will give him easy dual boot option to try them out (and perhaps keep both). Besides that I cannot see option in BIOS to boot from USB.

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
I'm so impressed with the speed of this one I am now going to try Linux on an even older laptop (2003/4) an HP Pavilion DV4000 with 1.5/1.6 GHz Pentium M CPU - not sure of RAM (max possible 2GB ) or HDD (probably 60GB at present) as I need to find a suitable PSU for it. I've read that Trisquel LiveDVD works well on this model so I now have a LiveDVD for that distro to try out.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If anyone has a really really old computer they want to put back into use, have a look at these Linuxes - Peppermint & for really ancient kit Lubuntu. Ive managed to get the latter running on a right old heap of a laptop. The hardware would probably limit trying to do anything really processor intensive like watching hd videos, but it ran ok for reading forums and checking email.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yep. I'm running my old Netbook on Lubuntu.

I use it as an intelligent backup drive for all my other devices.