Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 500s
Gemini
Release 0470
CCcam 214
My Location
North Wales
Computer system Win 98 and Linux Red Hat 9.0 (different hard drive)

Because of the hardware and software on my windows system, I was continually having problems with IE.5.

For normal web surfing including viewing this site, I'm using Netscape 7.1 on my Linux system and have no problems at all. Web pages load faster and it has only crashed once - my fault!

I also use it for my e-mail. You can filter your mailer at the server end before downloading and return all your spam back to where it came from! For that I use KMail supplied as an application with Red Hat.

Don't be afraid of having a go. It's a different file system but will integrate with Win98.
It's a bit like having a new mistress - tread carefully until you know how to handle her!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Keep meaning to have a play with Linux on one of my spare PCs Sab, might just do it. :)

Will move this to the Computer forum.

drag0nfly_69uk

Reaction score
My Location
essex boy
as a way of "test drive" linux, you could download knoppix live linux. it's very good, i use it exclusively to surf and do online banking now. just pop the cd into the drive, power up and you'll have a full linux pc (cant install anything more though) however you have everything you need, office, graphic games, media players and etc and etc

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Cheers Drag0nfly, downloading the ISO now, will be interesting to see it in use. :)

Sab

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 500s
Gemini
Release 0470
CCcam 214
My Location
North Wales
DragOnfly/rolfw

I've tried Knoppix on the CD and found it O.K. Once I got the hang of Linux I preferred a permanent feature. Rather than install the boot loader, I use the 'rescue floppy.'

It's possible to access Linux from inside Windows. You have to transfer the image file usually 'vmlinuz' over to Window C:\ where Loadlin (boot loader) will start it up.

This worked on a Mandrake system I installed but I'm having difficulty getting it to work with Red Hat.

See www.start-linux.com for some basic inf. However, I've found that by using Red Hat there is an excellent manual with it otherwise I'd be completely lost!

Like every thing else in life, it has its good and bad points.

Sab

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 500s
Gemini
Release 0470
CCcam 214
My Location
North Wales

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
one day, one day....

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Tried the Knoppix last night, works well, was quite impressed, will need to play a little more to see whether it has an ongoing use for me. :)

PS. It somehow managed to work out my ethernet connection to the router, so was surf ready from minute one. :)