LNB doesn't work when directly connected

Emjaye

Reaction score
I now have a bizarre problem with a universal 0.3 dB LNB and a digital receiver. If I connect the LNB directly there is no signal at all. However if I put an attenuator or a satellite finder between the LNB and the receiver, effectively adding resistance to the cable, then I can tune all the channels. I can't see any settings on my receiver which I can change to get around this.

Does anyone have any ideas?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Could be as simple as the core of the cable being cut too short and only making contact with the "F" connector on the meter.

kalamar

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
so try a new connector on the cable and do it properly. Very logical conclusion there RolfW

Emjaye

Reaction score
rolfw said:
Could be as simple as the core of the cable being cut too short and only making contact with the "F" connector on the meter.
Thanks for the suggestion. In fact the the core of the cable which doesn't work is slightly longer than the core of the cable which I use to connect the LNB to the meter so that's not the problem. Since then I've tried a different LNB and it works fine so I'm putting it down to an electrical fault in the original LNB.

Thanks to the 'contribution' from kalamar too...