LNb problem

Gizmo2000

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
London
I bought my system a while back, went for a second hand Force D1122s i think it is but a new 1.2m Dish pack. I only had the system running for a month and the LNB packed. Went back to the shop and they changed the LNB. A few months later and the LNB seems to have gone again. I rang the shop and they said it was unlikely to be a LNB problem but more likely to be the receiver switching the LNB off or out. They have said the receiver will need repairing, has anyone heard of this LNB problem?

>COR<

Reaction score
My Location
Sneek, HOLLAND
Hi,

Difficult problem m8,
You can measure the voltage to the lnbf, and see if it stays between 13 and 18 volt.

The lnbf's have voltage regulators inside so a bit higher voltage should not lead to the dying of the lnbf.

If in the menu the voltage is switched on to the lnbf, and no strange voltages are measured it still can be the lnbf's and you had bad luck to have 2 dud's in a row.

Did the LNBF's really die, not working afterwards?

Cheers,

Cor.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
As Cor says Gizmo, did the LNb really die, what tests did you carry out to see if it had any life remaining?

What type of LNB is it and is it the same as the previous one? The sat shop can easily test it for you, I'm sure they have a dish they can connect it to. Have you tried your receiver on another setup? a Sky dish would suffice to see if there is a receiver problem.

Gizmo2000

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
London
What happened with the first one i noticed the picture going a bit fuzzy the day before then wallop it just died. Took it back to the shop and they changed it over no questions asked. A couple of months later, exactly the same thing, the LNB appears completely dead. As a somewhat newbie i bought a second hand receiver and new dish pack. However when i had a company install the dish they were none too complementary about the shop where i bought the stuff from.

I am not a techie so wouldn't have a clue about testing voltage but the LNB appears completely dead like the last time. The receiver itself is OK as is the dish.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It may well be the LNB at fault, but the problem you describe could be attributable to a dish going out of alignment, water ingress to the cable or indeed a faulty receiver. Do you not know anyone else with a dish to test your receiver?

When you go into the LNB setup menu, what are the settings?