LNB purchased for Italian dish

tipa

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
hopeful Italian satellite equipment
My Location
Umbria, Italy
Dear All,

Last night I bought an Emme Esse .8m dish on Ebay Italia. Couldn't stop myself... I am hoping that from Umbria I will be able to get the 2A north beam to get the Ashes on Channel 4 this summer. So... Could someone just suggest what LNB I should go for, ie what specs, what things to avoid, whether there is any merit at all in going for a twin one, is 0.3db "better" than 0.4db or 0.6db (lower noise, is that right?).

Would I need to pole mount an 80cm dish, or is it OK to put it on a wall bracket?

I am in Umbria, Lake Trasimeno, and I will let you know if I get any reception.

All the best
Tim

dave branson

Reaction score
My Location
Florence Italy
I get ch4 no problem in Florence,with an .80 dish,best to buy an Invacom LNB.

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Best performing LNB on the market today is the Smart Titianium TSX 0.2 LNB.

It performed about 1.5dB better S/N in a recent test compared to the Invacom and others.

It is really a LNB on steroids.

You can get it cheap for about 9 euro on Ebay right now.

dave branson

Reaction score
My Location
Florence Italy
Likvid said:

It performed about 1.5dB better S/N in a recent test compared to the Invacom and others.

Is that right,where can i get some info

tipa

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Umbria, Italy
Superb advice, thanks a lot.

Tim

Likvid said:

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
I'm not in Italy, but ......

For best chance of getting desired channel, use biggest dish you can (although 80cm should be adequate), and lnb with lowest "noise figure", which also increases your chances. Yes, 0.3dB is lower (and therefore better) than 0.5, 0.2 better than 0.3, etc.

Otherwise, you have to be able to "see" the satellite, with no trees or buildings blocking the transmission path (obviously!).

Note that (British?) CH4 is Videocrypt encoded, so you'll need (somehow!) a Sky viewing card.

A twin lnb is for dual satellite reception, so why do you want that?

tipa

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Umbria, Italy
Dear Likvid,

There are quad LNBs by Smart called TQSX, claiming to be 0.2db. Is this the same (just with a four-way output) or is the exact thing the single output TSX?
Tim

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
a quad lnb has 4 separate outputs, you can run 4 different satellite receivers from it at once (but you don't want that!).

For further explanation, see 1st part of my multiswitch guide at www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=41947 .

Just get a single output lnb, with lowest noise figure you can afford, that will maximise your chance of getting the wanted channel.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden

powel000

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Paraclipse 2.40m solid dish,
Jonsa 1.80m dish,
3.40m mesh dish,
dreambox7020SI,
relook400S,
HUMAX, dream 500hd
90CM DISH,
My Location
AMMAN-JORDAN
Ill buy anything but Invacom poor LNB very higly priced. I think $5 lnb's perform better than Invacom's

dave branson

Reaction score
My Location
Florence Italy
powel000 said:
Ill buy anything but Invacom poor LNB very higly priced. I think $5 lnb's perform better than Invacom's

They have proved there worth in fringe areas,if you read the threads from Cyprus,Spain ect,also made a big difference to my reception of Astra 2D here in Italy.I must admit that in a stong signal area a piece of twisted wire would do.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Invacom have had it's days, they were good 1 year ago, now more new LNBs have entered the market that performs much better.

However Invacom is the only choice today if you want a good real C120 LNB and don't want to modify a LNBF for C120 flange.

tipa

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Umbria, Italy
Nice one, Spiney, thanks for that.

Regards
Tim

spiney said:
I'm not in Italy, but ......

For best chance of getting desired channel, use biggest dish you can (although 80cm should be adequate), and lnb with lowest "noise figure", which also increases your chances. Yes, 0.3dB is lower (and therefore better) than 0.5, 0.2 better than 0.3, etc.

Otherwise, you have to be able to "see" the satellite, with no trees or buildings blocking the transmission path (obviously!).

Note that (British?) CH4 is Videocrypt encoded, so you'll need (somehow!) a Sky viewing card.

A twin lnb is for dual satellite reception, so why do you want that?

dave branson

Reaction score
My Location
Florence Italy
Likvid said:
No, but you can make it work with your feed anyway, it's easy.

I show you how, look here.

http://board.satbook.de/wbb/thread.php?threadid=423&sid=&threadview=0&hilight=&hilightuser=0&page=7

I am setting up a Wavefrontier T90 based on 12 Titanium LNBs on my balcony.

I will show you everything in a new thread soon, this will be fun.

Likvid
As i see it i need to remove the plastic cover,an slot it onto a 120c flange,tape it up and hy presto,l this work on a prime focus dish 1.8 irte.

dave branson

Reaction score
My Location
Florence Italy
I bought one of these Smart 0.2 dB lnb,s,I am now going to try and mate it to a 120 c Flange fix it to my Invacom feedhorn on my PF dish and see what happens.
I have removed the plastic cover,whats inside is very small and basic compared to an Invacom,which is a lot heavier.Suppose thats the Titanium?