LNB twist position

Mad Rat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
65cm dish for Sky+ linked to all rooms, all with own remote and magic eye. Second box in home office (no multi room subscription just use card from main box if needed) 3rd box in bedroom Freeview in other rooms. Free cable in dining room Two 53cm mi
My Location
Leicestershire UK
HI

I have fitted my new dish but need some help with the LNB, the Holder on the dish is marked from -20 to +20. what do I line the LNB up with? On the mini dish the markings are from 1-4 and I think its on 2 or 3.

Its for picking up Sky and I live in the East midlands.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Just twist the LNB clockwise until you get the best signal quality on your box... :)

Mad Rat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
65cm dish for Sky+ linked to all rooms, all with own remote and magic eye. Second box in home office (no multi room subscription just use card from main box if needed) 3rd box in bedroom Freeview in other rooms. Free cable in dining room Two 53cm mi
My Location
Leicestershire UK
Is that clockwise facing the dish or from behind the dish?

Also roughly what angle up wards should the dish be at?

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Mad Rat said:
Is that clockwise facing the dish or from behind the dish?

Also roughly what angle up wards should the dish be at?

Facing the dish from the LNB... :)

As for the dish's angle, erm, Ihaven't a clue myself but there are calculators out there, or you could use the old trial and error method... :)

Mad Rat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Leicestershire UK

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location

Mad Rat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Leicestershire UK
Just done a research on the internet, and the "up angle" (for the none technical) of the dish is between 20 and 30 degrees, the further south the higher. :)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Mad Rat said:
Just done a research on the internet, and the "up angle" (for the none technical) of the dish is between 20 and 30 degrees, the further south the higher. :)

That's the one, also known as Elevation... :D

Mad Rat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Leicestershire UK
This is very useful info from,

_sam-radford.me.uk/index.htm

[fieldset=admin message]copied information removed

[/fieldset]

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Mad Rat said:
This is very useful info from,

_sam-radford.me.uk/index.htm

Cor, haven't heard his name for a while!!! :D

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
There are hundreds of posts on this forum regarding best ways of aligning dishes, no need to copy from another site. http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/dish-setup-guides-stickies-faqs/ gives loads of information.

PS. The wet towel alignment method is pretty much outdated now, as most digital receivers have strength and quality metres for adjustment. It used to be effective in the days of analogue pictures, as after roughly aligning the dish to obtain a good picture, you could attenuate the signal enough to cause a sparkly picture, then adjust further to fine tune and regain a clear picture.

Mad Rat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Leicestershire UK
Sorry but I couldnt find any that were as easy to understand.