LNB Weather Protection

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
I think the dishes with heating elements are targeted towards the more Eastern areas of Europe. The Laminas range (I have a 1.2M dish of theirs) that are manufactured in Poland, do include a heated option but obviously their Winters are quite a bit harsher than the UK. I see your location is Consett so I can understand your concerns....

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Yes, Consett can be a bit of a snowy tundra when the weather turns, when I was at the college last year, one day went from clear of snow to several inches in no time, was fun riding a bus out of the station as it drifted round the corner... :lol:

One idea for keeping a dish warm is carbon fibre heating wire from china, as demonstrated by Clive here:

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
That's gonna be a helluva long piece of wire ........ :-lmao

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Whoosh .....

...... carbon fibre heating wire from China" ...... Subsea??

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I'm running on 3 hours of sleep, humour senses are offline... :p

daro2096

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No setup at present
My Location
Consett, Durham
I think the dishes with heating elements are targeted towards the more Eastern areas of Europe. The Laminas range (I have a 1.2M dish of theirs) that are manufactured in Poland, do include a heated option but obviously their Winters are quite a bit harsher than the UK. I see your location is Consett so I can understand your concerns....

I have been living in Consett for just over 4 years now but before that I used to live near Chester-Le-Street but technically I am a Geordie having been born in Gateshead. When it snows here it snows really bad though so far this year we haven't had much that covered. Last covering was back in November, before that October 31st.. Anyway those heating elements for satellite dishes are hugely expensive at over £500 for the Big Bisat dish. I think where I live it would be a waste of money.

dmaavrigdo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m Laminas OFC1200 dish
Inverto Quad Black Ultra IDLT-QDL412-ULTRA-OPN
Octagon SF8008 twin
Yamaha HTR-2067
My Location
Vansbro Sweden
I have been living in Consett for just over 4 years now but before that I used to live near Chester-Le-Street but technically I am a Geordie having been born in Gateshead. When it snows here it snows really bad though so far this year we haven't had much that covered. Last covering was back in November, before that October 31st.. Anyway those heating elements for satellite dishes are hugely expensive at over £500 for the Big Bisat dish. I think where I live it would be a waste of money.
I'm in Sweden and haven't had any need to heat the dish. I have to clear the snow that builds up on the bar in front of the lnb and clean off the cover.Not much at all sticks to the dish itself.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Heater elements on dishes are not there to clear snow per se, but to disperse ice that builds up with repeat freeze/thaw conditions.

Today's weather near here (-2C overnight after a damp evening) led to the sort of icy layer on cars that would kill Ku signals on a reflector.

dmaavrigdo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m Laminas OFC1200 dish
Inverto Quad Black Ultra IDLT-QDL412-ULTRA-OPN
Octagon SF8008 twin
Yamaha HTR-2067
My Location
Vansbro Sweden
Heater elements on dishes are not there to clear snow per se, but to disperse ice that builds up with repeat freeze/thaw conditions.

Today's weather near here (-2C overnight after a damp evening) led to the sort of icy layer on cars that would kill Ku signals on a reflector.
Must be too cold here.teeem.png

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
A bit cold for snow certainly.