Lnb

philpat1

Reaction score
My Location
Nicosia
I have a Humax 5400Z (patched) model and a twin Lnb (Cambridge 0.7).How much difference will an LNB with a lower rating such as 0.5 or less make on the signal strength and quality. Now my signal strength is 42% and the quality is 22%. My dish is 1.2 m and is alligned to Astra 19.2 E. I live in Cyprus. Sometimes when the weather is bad I lose the signal. Is it better to change the LNB or get a bigger dish?

lee32uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500ci+ super
Triax 1.1m dish
Diseqc motor
Invacom lnb
My Location
Manchester
Bigger dish is the best option to improve signal.Expensive LNB's are a waste of money.

Lee

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Does the weather get bad in Cyprus ? Ive been to Larnaca many times and its always been perfect

Agreed that a larger quality dish is a far better bet and I dont believe there are planning restrictions as yet over there.
So put a monster one in now.

chuckles

Reaction score
I disagree, the dish size is the most important factor, but I changed to an MTI Blue Line LNB(not expensive, £15) and the difference in signal was very noticable,about 10pc). I've been trying to locate a double version in the UK without success, so meantime I've ditched my old double LNB (also an MTI) in favour of a loop-through between my 2 receivers.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
What was the spec' on your twin LNB Chuckles? Of course there are differences between the performance of LNBs, there can be a drop off in performance as they get older as well. As a rule though, dish size and tweaking can dramatically improve performance, while switching LNBs will usually provide a marginal improvement, if you are replacing a current model.

The MTI Blueline is of course an excellent LNB.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Switching from a twin LNB to a single one is somewhat different. The additional circuitry inside to pass receiver protocol for switching bands and polarities and the filters within to bypass the signal path are the main causes for loss in the unit. These are not present in a single LNB

The noise figure promised by many suppliers of LNB is sadly a marketing ploy to sell at a higher profit, MTI are in my eyes one of the few manufacturers that still stick by the lable, Ive had dealings with the company for about twelve years and all of their products have been exactly as they state on the advertising