Lnbs

howard

Reaction score
I've noticed that some people prefer a 0.6 lnb to a universal. Whats the difference?
I'm currently trying to change from a fixed to a motorised system.

cheers

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The 0.6db refers to the noise figure on the LNB Howard, whether it be enhanced, Universa, Tri-band or otherl, with this figure lower is better but as discussed on previous threads, you can pay a lot of money for an LNB with a "supposedly" very low noise figure, but gain very little improvement.

The term Universal applies to the frequency coverage, the old Enhanced LNB had a Local Oscillator of 9.75 Ghz, so would down convert by that amount, the Universal has two Local Oscillators (down convertors), one at 9.75 Ghz and one at 10.6 Ghz and by the use of tone switching can therefor cover a wider frequency band.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes Howard, for viewing the full range of Ku band digital signals you need a Universal LNB.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Its the frequency range where most of the satellite channels which we view are transmitted, there is another much lower frequency range called C band and then another called Ka band, the later I believe is used mainly for commercial applications, but I don't know much about it.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Yes Howard, for viewing the full range of Ku band digital signals you need a Universal LNB.

Not necessarily

I still use a full band (9.75 and 10.75 GHz) LNB configured with a polariser that has ajustable skew settings via a 3 wire pulse system, connected to a 3.7m dish (soon to magically 'grow' to a 4.5m)

The adjustment of the LNB can be critical to getting or missing certain channels on satellite, especially feeds where the signal is sent as a low symbol rate or has low FEC

For the majority a universal will do the trick, but the noise figure is lied about by all but a few brands. Money keeps them in business, they will lie all the way to court if they have your cash in their wallet.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Not the old magically expanding dish syndrome CH, aren't you going to have to cut more concrete?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Luckily the concrete base is already a metre deep and supports the garage as well (the struts from the post are somewhat over engineered)

The increase in size will come courtesy of a set of matching extender panels. Just arranging the upgrded horizon to horizon bearings and then a few days graft over Christmas it should all be ready.

Downside will be the hoarding by the other half to watch the additional Russian channels