Local TV Broadcasting- Is this possible?

harmio

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi all, I wonder if anyone here could help me with this idea I had on the weekend:

I want to re broadcast 2 Armenian channels via microwave 2.4ghz/any other freq for about 50 Armenian families in flats in west london who are not allowed to put satellite dishes up. I am not interested in encryptionm simply in broadcasting over say a 1 mile/2 mile radius. I would charge a basic subscription to cover costs:

I figure it would be possible via some of these high power video senders you can get on ebay used for CCTV? then siply give each household a reciever for that frequency? and use 2 seperate channels one for each channel, with the user swtiching between? would this seem technically possible?

Or can you get slightly higher power conventional video senders?

Any help on this would be appreciated , or ideas, its quite an ambitious project that would make a lot of people very very happy. any help is appreciated.

cheers

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
That would probably count as transmitting without a licence....... Look forward to getting a BIG fine :D

harmio

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
but i thought the 2.4ghz band was unlicensed? that was the point surely? and it wouldnt be for profit its just for one block. Im looking at technical feasability at the mo if anyone can help?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you use anything bigger than the permitted power on a 2.4Ghz device, then you are breaking the law I'm afraid.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Get a plasma and invite them round (they could bring the beers)

harmio

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
so i guess the ones on ebay are illegal then? claiming 2000mw on 1.5ghz? hehe..

Its for an elderely armenian residence type thing. The other way i thought about doing it was sort of making a "net" of transmitters/recievers. eg. if each home i Install also has a 2.4ghz transmitter as well as reciever, to chain the signal....that way im not exceeding the power. the problem is getting the initial feed to a transmitter, but im sure I can work that out.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
harmio said:
but i thought the 2.4ghz band was unlicensed? that was the point surely? and it wouldnt be for profit its just for one block. Im looking at technical feasability at the mo if anyone can help?

2.4gig is licence free not unlicenced - a crucial difference. Retransmitting commercial broadcast material without a licence will get you into hot water somewhere I guarantee it :D

Using low power retransmitters in each house is an interesting possibility, but with only a limited number of channels available my guess is horrible interference.

The power output for the videosenders is strictly limited, so the high power stuff on ebay wont be legal. You also stand the chance of wrecking reception for anyone already using one to send signals round the house.....

harmio

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I guess the only way to do know is to try. I will have a go with a few video senders and post my results. I have been in touch with the armenian public tv who provide the programming they are ok with it ..but i guess it is arisky business . Am quite gutted I thought I had a bright idea lol.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The best way to do it would be to do it properly and insert the signals into a proper distribution system where the roof aerial system connects to the flats. Not cheap though.

I look forward to the results of your tests

Just one quick question - if you are radiating armenian tv and planning to charge a subs, whats to stop anyone just buying a videosender and just grabbing the signals themselves without paying??? You cant charge a subs if you are using domestic kit - theres only about 4 channels used!

harmio

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Thats a good point but the thing is, I know most of the families personally, and I am not particularlyt worried about that many people not paying. I am charging subscription to cover cost , based on market research . Its more for the community really.... I am already circulating DVDs that I record amongst the families so I figured theyd be eager to get something like this. I was going to use the 2 seperate channels to actually transmit 2 seperate channels 2. One will be possibly fed from a video server just playing a catalogue of music and movies.

I know its not good business sense but I'd rather be have these people able to watch it than make the cash. As long as I break even I'm happy. :)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Good luck harmio - initiatives like this are an excellent idea bringing stuff to folks that the big satellite players (Sky) dont serve.

I hope it works for you, although I have my doubts about how successful the "videosender net" is likely to be. I think you would be better with just one transmitter even if you end up running slightly higher power than you are supposed to - and at the end of the day you are only going to get problems if you cause interference to someone already using the band..

harmio

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I know, I am worried about interference etc. I will look into trying to find a 2.4ghz sender with a bit of increased power. not much info on net..cheers though

martz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Thomson Sky+ PVR3, Pace 2200 Sky box, Zone 1 Triax minidish with Thomson Quad LNB, 1m Gibertini and Technomate TM-1500CI+ Super (Patched) 1metre Gibertini at Astra 1 19.2°e
My Location
Barnet, North London