london olympics 2012 - What a flaming fiasco..

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
strs65 said:
Yep, the "Dictator" way (@1:37)! :D

Loved Borat ...gonna love this one too I suspect.
cheers for the clip Strs ..
Thats certainly the way to win a race..
:D

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Not having been one of the 'nay sayers' on this thread, I find myself swaying towards that point of view. I've just watched a video on the BBC web site which has influenced my change of opinion :

_http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18151676

Not only is there a torch for each bearer (I thought the torch might be handed sweaty palm to sweaty palm or at least re used each day) but they are allowed to keep them afterwards. They are also cropping up on Ebay (Item no. 110883829294). Fair enough a lot seem to being auctioned off for charity but how many are going to slip through the net?.....Oh and while I'm in cynical rant mood......why aren't the torch bearers all from the UK?....going through my Mum's village two are French and one Dutch....

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
Had no choice but to comment regarding the sale of these so called Torches ..
Just more confirmation of the mercenary attitude of some folk ..
Auctioned for charity I understand ..
To make a fast buck ..is despicable.
Just noticed this one someone posted ..presumably tongue in cheek ..at least I hope it is
item number..150821641026

and yes someone has started the bidding ..
if it remains around the current level ..then I guess its a bargain ...for a torch.

'My London Olympic 2012 Torch
Due to ever increasing costs this is one of 2 torches I will be using to try to watch the Olympics from my neighbours window, as I can no longer afford the electricity bill.
So help a brother & I will sign this item to make it one of a kind that you can treasure forever.
Please note this is a genuine auction and you will receive the torch as per the picture, and my extreme gratitude in your generosity.'

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
One thing I love to think about with all this money being spent on the games is all the other former hosts of the games that built venues specifically for the olympics, stating that they'll be used by everyone once the games have passed, and pretty much all of them are completely derelict, unused, unkempt and beyond saving.... :rolleyes:

So, millions of taxpayers' pounds are basically thrown into the thames and washed out to sea, cos the olympic venues are going to end up being too expensive to maintain, nobody will use them cos they're all playing with nintendo Wees thinking that's all they need to get fit, and they'll just end up like the millenium dome, scrapped by the government and sold off at a fraction of the cost it took to build, whoever thought it'd be a great idea to host here in the UK must have been on something... :toke:

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Don't quite understand this mix of torch bearers, although he's probably quite a nice bloke, what the hell has Will.I.Am got to do with the Olympics, or indeed sport in general, he's also not British, so why is he carrying a torch?

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
2cvbloke said:
nobody will use them cos they're all playing with nintendo Wees

Now that's just taking the pi$$....

rolfw said:
Don't quite understand this mix of torch bearers, although he's probably quite a nice bloke, what the hell has Will.I.Am got to do with the Olympics, or indeed sport in general, he's also not British, so why is he carrying a torch?

He's a celeb Rolf.....and we all worship celeb's don't we??? O-no.....I can't work out how he'll manage to Tweet while carrying the torch....