mkdons73

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM-3300 2CA, 85CM Dish, Monoblock 0.2dB LNB
My Location
Milton Keynes
Hi,
Nice fresh newbie here :).

I have finally taken the plundge in canceling my over priced SKY+ subscription due to my SKY+ box dieing a fatal death .

I'm looking for a budget reciever (Non SKY) to replace my dead box , but looking for advice on FTA/FTV and what is the better to go for. and are there any boxes that can take a SKY card ? for the FTV i belive !, Recording capabilitys , fast forward / rewind etc

Will my exsisting SKY+ Sat dish work with any new reciever box ? or will i have to change this too

Regards
Mark

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Welcome to the forum Mark.:)

There are quite a few satellite PVRs available at the moment and all will work with your existing dish, so no problems there. Your Sky card can be read by a couple of them when they have patched software installed, so that would give your the extra couple of FTV channels, you can also by a CAM which (when upgraded) can read the Sky card.

The big problem I find with non-dedicated PVRs, is that I have been spoiled by the ease of use of the Sky+ unit, the non-dedicated ones can't use the Sky EPG for forward recording.

Freesat PVRs will be available in the next few months, but whether you will be prepared to wait that long is another matter. :)

mkdons73

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Milton Keynes
Thanks for the input rolfw.

I have seen a few recievers floating around on ebay , one being an MVision S4 for £55 and another being a TechnoMate there are a few reviews on here regarding them but what one is the best to go for in respect to picture quality and ease of use (Kids will need to operate) and also as you mentioned a box that has constant software updates ie patches .

Oh and dreambox seems to be another high rated reciever

Cheers
Mark

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You won't get many PVRs below £100 and software patches are not particularly relevant on Astra 28.2 East, apart from enabling use of the FTV card, but even this could change, if Sky take measures to stop it or swap out the cards.

I personally don't think any of them are easy to use when compared to Sky+, but you do have the ability on many to arrange the channels in the order you want them.

To be able to record one thing and watch another, you need a PVR with two tuners, unfortunately I haven't used one apart from my Sky+, so can't recommend one, we do have a section for PVRs though.

Have a look at our supporting advertisers by clicking on the link in my signature, they offer a good selection of receivers.

H

hoppo1

Think beyond SKY @ 28.2 & motorise the dish for all the other free channels you can see. I peronally do not like MVision receivers and even my supplier of them here in Spain thinks they are rubbish. I only supply them when the customer does his own "research" and decides he knows best:eek:
The technomates are well supported but if you think long term maybe a HD receiver now will save you money in long term.
As rolfw says, patch the receiver that you buy and it "open" some SKY like packages from other countries, in english. Movies, sport, kids channels, discovery channels & some "adult" discovery channels tooHumping:-rofl2

mkdons73

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Milton Keynes
hoppo1 said:
Think beyond SKY @ 28.2 & motorise the dish for all the other free channels you can see. I peronally do not like MVision receivers and even my supplier of them here in Spain thinks they are rubbish. I only supply them when the customer does his own "research" and decides he knows best:eek:
The technomates are well supported but if you think long term maybe a HD receiver now will save you money in long term.
As rolfw says, patch the receiver that you buy and it "open" some SKY like packages from other countries, in english. Movies, sport, kids channels, discovery channels & some "adult" discovery channels tooHumping:-rofl2

Thanks ,

So Techomates is the way to go , is this patching lark easy to do for a beginner :p , and the best budged reciever from techomate is ?

Regards
Mark

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
mkdons73 said:
Thanks ,

So Techomates is the way to go , is this patching lark easy to do for a beginner :p , and the best budged reciever from techomate is ?

Regards
Mark

With the Technomates there are 4 main families, 3000 series, 5000 series,6000 series and the 8000 series, plus the 9100 Linux box.

Only the 3000 series can read a Sky card with the appropriate patch, but only the 3500 is PVR ready for recording (single tuner).
The 5000 series are probably the most popular at the moment and are all PVR ready(single tuner).
The 6000 series are HD and PVR ready, the 6900 also has built in Terrestrial.
The 8000 series can have a built in HDD but still single tuner but it doesn't look like they are patchable.
None of them do everything you want.:)

Updating the software is very easy on the 1000 series and I presume it is for the others.

Robbo:)

ctomer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM1000ci
Kathrein UFS 910 si
My Location
Leeds, UK
I have a Technomate 1000ci. I'm pretty sure that the software is very similar to that used on other Technomate models.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with the box. Channel changing is quick. The software is ok, probably could have been a bit easier to use. My wife can use the freeview box (Humax), and AppleTV but not the Technomate. Patches are easy to find, frequently updated, and easy to apply.

dalm

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
the fontome
My Location
uk
hi to all can eny one tell me how can i Updat my reciver technomate 1500ci+ many tanks

H

hoppo1

This is not by me, i copied and pasted from another well known forum:)

This is an Dummies Guide To Downloading Darkmans Patch for Technomate TM-1000D, TM-1000CI, TM-1500CI+, and TM-16002CI receivers.
I know there are probably 100 other ways of doing this, but this is the way I did it and at least it works.
I did this download with my receiver turned "on" at the back and with a 15 foot long null modem cable. If your cable cannot reach the receiver you will have to disconnect your receiver and move it nearer to your PC, but make sure that you can plug it into the mains.

First get a Null Modem cable with DB-9 connectors both ends (female) and connect one end to the receivers RS-232C socket. It may be easier if you remove the VCR/AUX scart plug (if in use), and the other end to the rear of your PC.
If it's like my PC their's only one place to plug in. Screw all four screws gently into place, not to tight.

Go to Alsat and select "Loaders Section" and click on "TM1000 Series" and then click on "TM1000 Loader". Now click on "Darkman TMLoader.zip"
You now get a "Download File" click on "Open".
Now a "Winzip" Box appears (if you don't have Winzip or something similar download a free version of Winzip) and I now click on "Use Evaluation Version" because I'm too mean to pay out $29 for the full version.

I'm now clicking on "Options" and am now selecting a folder for download.
I would suggest "Add a folder to list" and call it "Darkmans Patches" or something similar.
Select that folder and click O.K. Click "Next" to continue. Select "Unzip or install from "Darkman TMLoader.zip", and then click "Next".
A "Winzip Caution" box appears, click "Yes".
"Winzip Wizard - Unzip (Darkman-TMLoader.zip) appears.

If not right folder click on "Select Different Folder" and select your folder "Darkmans Patches" and click on O.K. The boxes appear "Overwrite matching files automatically" and "Display File Icons after unzipping" and make sure both have ticks in them. Click "Unzip now"
Loader is now downloaded to your PC in folder "Darkmans Patches".
Minimize "Darkmans Patches" and click "Finish" on Winzip.

Now back to Alsat and go to "Softwares" section and click on "TM1000 Series Patch". From the list of patches select the newest or which ever patch you want. Now click on your selected patch, and now select the patch for your receiver type. If you have a TM-1000D then select patch for that receiver, if you have a TM-1500CI+ then select that patch, and so on.
"Download File" box appears, click "Open". "Winzip" box appears so I click "Use evaluation version", because I still have not paid $29 for the full version.

Up pops the "Winzip Wizard" so click on "Options" and select the folder "Darkmans Patches" and click O.K. "Winzip Wizard - Welcome" appears so click on Next".
Select "Unzip or install from Darkmanpatch TM..........zip" and click "Next".

Winzip Wizard - Unzip" appears click "Different Folder". Select folder "Darkmans patch" (or whatever you called it) and click "O.K"
Make sure "overwrite matching files automatically" and "display file icons after unzipping" are both ticked. Click "Unzip Now".

Now you have both the loader and the patch in the same folder "Darkmans Patches" on your PC.

Double click the loader "funny face" and Darkman "TM1000 Series" box appears. Make sure "download" is selected, and click on "Browse" and select your patch, and click "Open"
Using remote control now switch Technomate receiver "on" and then click "Auto Detect"
Box now reads "Found stb at com 1" (or what ever).
Version 1.44 detected (or what ever version you have selected), click "Exit".
Press "Connect" and click "Start".

Patch will now be downloaded to your receiver, and you will see the percentage of the download on you PC and receiver window.
First it will send, then erase the old patch, and then write.
When done click "Finish".

On receiver press "Menu" and go to "System Information" and press "O.K".
It should show "cas menu", if not with your remote control type 2004 (2-0-0-4) till it shows.

That's it finished, piece of cake ah.
Exit "Menu" and remove null modem cable, and replace VCR/AUX scart if removed.

Now check for all your new channels, and thank Darkman for the patches.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Yes, definitely a Dummies Guide.:-rofl2

Makes it sound much more complicated than it really is though.:)