Looking For Satellite System Advice

J

JohnK

Hi

I'm a bit of a novice as to the technicalities around this but am looking to get a motorised system installed. The system I have my eyes on is the Humax 5400 with all cam patch with 80cm dish and I would also like my Sky Digibox to work of this dish also. Can anyone give me an idea of what the typical install charge will be for this set up, I've tried mailing a few dealers but have had no reply. I'm aware that the system will get me all the FTA channels from the different encription's, what do I have to do to get access to the non FTA channels and what equipment will I need, any help will be much appreciated

Thanks

JohnK

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi JohnK, if you have a look in What Satellite magazine, there are several people who do a package deal which includes installation. If you fit a twin universal LNB, you will be able to use the system with the digibox as well.

Rolf

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
>Hi
>
>I'm a bit of a novice as to the technicalities around this
>but am looking to get a motorised system installed. The
>system I have my eyes on is the Humax 5400 with all cam
>patch with 80cm dish and I would also like my Sky Digibox to
>work of this dish also. Can anyone give me an idea of what
>the typical install charge will be for this set up, I've
>tried mailing a few dealers but have had no reply. I'm aware
>that the system will get me all the FTA channels from the
>different encription's, what do I have to do to get access
>to the non FTA channels and what equipment will I need, any
>help will be much appreciated
>
>Thanks
>
>JohnK

To view encrypted channels, you'll need either an official card for each provider (very expensive and difficult tot obtain) or a hobby card, such as a FunCard or DS9 card programmed with files obtainable from sites on Nobbly's Big Links list: http://www.satellites.co.uk/scripts/webforum/DCForumID33/143.html

Many encrypted channels, such as Taquilla and Palco, have recently moved to encryption systems which have not yet been hacked, or use systems (eg Conax) for which there is no public domain hack, so files for these are not available on the Web. Your choice for the moment, therefore, will be somehat limited.

I use an Elvis programmer with Multiprog software to program a Funcard and a DS9 card, which I find a cost-effective and very reliable combination.

wolsty

:-)

J

JohnK

Hi

Thanks for replying, appreciate it. Can I ask the forum's advice on the Humax 5400 with all cam patch, am I wasting my money or is it a good investment. I've looked at the postings with regards cards/programmers etc, at this stage it's double dutch to me, is there any site which help's a learner like myself learn the basics of how programming works, thanks in advance.

JohnK

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
The Humax is at the expensive end of the market. There are other patched receivers available at considerably less cost, eg Samsung.

HOWEVER

The workings of the Humax 5400 are widely understood and the receiver is well supported by a variety of sites, which is not the case with other brands. Have a look at: http://www.axs-ict.nl/humax5400/Talen/English/index.htm and http://www.humaxsettings.nl/ for starters. In addition, the files for Funcards and DS9 cards are usually written for specific recievers and those for the Humax are, by far, the most easily available and trouble-free.

I've had my patched 5400z since November 2001 and it's worked faultlessly. It even operates my cheapo DiSeqC motor without complaint.

There are concerns about it's being future-proof in that, with the coming of the new encryption systems such as SECA II and Viaccess II, the receiver may not have sufficient on-board memeory to cope with the decryption files. It's not yet clear whether this will be the case. Even if it is, it's not the end of the world, as memory upgrades will almost certainly become available or software will be written which will allow more of the decryption routine to take place on the card. The resourcefulness of the satellite comminity is legendary!

And even if the worst happens, and the patched CAM does become obsolete, you will be able to buy an appropriately modified CAM to fit into one of the receiver's CI slots.

So, you pays your money and you takes your choice. I've no experience of other digital systems, but I've no regrets at buying the 5400z rather than one of its competitors.

wolsty

:-)