Looking for some advice on 2G/3G networks for mobile phones please

diggy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky digital, 8mb broadband, pc.
My Location
gwent, wales
Ok, basically this is my problem and i am getting no real help from my mobile provider. The mast which uses the GSM/2G signal has been down all weekend and i have been told, that there is no chance at all that repair to this mast will not be repaired before the 9th april, and due to be completed at the end of april, so since 29th march and until the end of april, i will have no service on my mobile phone. I have a samsung E900, which uses the GSM/2G network. So this is my question,

There are 2 mast's in my area, the GSM/2G mast (which is broken) or the 3G network mast which is functional. If i was to get a 3G phone, would i not be reconnected to the service ? My provider thinks not, but the 2 masts are literally 2 miles apart, i need to get this issue resolved quickly as i rely heavily on my mobile, and going without it for a month is just unacceptable, so, if anyone here can answer my question, i would be hugely grateful.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
I think this may be an impossible question to answer as each mast is designed to cover a specific area, also the UMTS cell sizes can change depending on the traffic if I remember correctly. The only way to find out may be to try it.

Alternatively if you know someone who is very close by who is on another network and getting a signal, maybe you could switch provider, and tell you current one to stick it.

Robbo:)

diggy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
gwent, wales
Well i am definatly going to try it, i will be popping into my local phone shop tomorrow, as he sells 2nd hand phones, and will see if he lets me try my sim in a 3G phone, IF it works (big if i know), then i will trade my phone in. And as for going to another provider, it just wouldnt be cost effiecent for me, all my family are on the same current network, and we have a calling circle, so i would be cutting my nose of to spite my face. But try i will.

Thanks for the swift reply, will post and let you know the outcome for this issue tomorrow.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
when you buy a phone you are supplied a Sim to go with it..

2G phone = 2G sim
3G phone = 3G sim

so by sticking your 2g sim in a 3G phone it wont work.

i had a 2G sim in a Sony Ericsson k800i (3G) and video calling didnt work, when i rang Orange they told me it was because its a 3G only service and im on a 2G network only sim.

hope this makes sense.

i upgraded to a Nokia N95, they sent me a new sim too.... when turned on the phone the 3G logo lit up...when i use WAP (internet) a 3.5G logo lights up.

Regarding your problem though.. if your on contract i would argue for a free month (they are in breach of contract)
if its PAYG then get a sim from another provider

who is the provider by the way?

diggy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
gwent, wales
Well i got a 3G phone, a samsung U700, and the 3G does display with my sim in it. So it is working good now, vodafone are my provider, and have now it seem's got the issue sorted lol. Aint that just the way! BUt thanx for all the replies, you been very helpful.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
Glad its all working :) you can start running your phone bill up again now :-rofl2