Loss of signal strength

Keith D

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Two Satellite Dishes two Quattro LNB's through a multi-switch system.
Desk top pc with DSL connection.
My Location
Germany
I have a satellite system with two dishes each with a quattro lnb. The system uses a multi switch. I have tuned my dishes to Astra 19.2°E and Astra 28.2°E. My problem is when I tune in to the Astra 28.2°E satellite I loose reception or signal strength from my Astra 19.2°E satelitte. I can receive my analogue channels on Astra 19.2°E but almost no digital channels.
Can anyone explain what's wrong?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Can you provide some pictures of the multiswitch setup?

You need to make sure that the Quattro LNB inputs are connected to the correct ports, and that you have the correct DiseqC settings in the receivers.

Keith D

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Germany
Thanks Rolfw for your quick response.
I have the correct inputs as Astra 19.2°E works when I remove my LNB from the other dish (Astra 28.2E). As I am a beginner I'm not sure what DiseqC should be. Could you please advise? I will post the pictures of my multi switch set up in the next few days.
Regards Keith D

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
How many inputs does the multiswitch have?

Keith D

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Germany
Hi Rolfw,
my multi switch has 8 inputs for satellite. It's a 9/8 Multi Switch.
Regards Keith D

Keith D

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Germany
Hello Rolfw,
I have attached a picture of my multi switch and my satellite dish configuration.
Regards Keith D.

Attachments

• Resized_P5170036.gif
    Resized_P5170036.gif
    117 KB · Views: 49
  • Resized_P5170037.gif
    Resized_P5170037.gif
    112.8 KB · Views: 49

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
If you are using a Sky digibox anywhere, then you need to put Astra 28.2 on Input 1, as the Digibox has no DiseqC switching capability.

I have seen LNBs described as Quattros on German websites, which are in fact Quads (four identical universal outputs) do yours definitely have four different outputs, Horizontal High, Horizontal Low, Vertical High and Vertical Low.

You are I presume using these receivers on different outputs and not looping through the standard receiver?

Keith D

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Germany
Hi
You are correct they are quad LNB's. I have 8 cables running from my multi switch to a socket in each of the 8rooms in my house. So it's not a ring circuit, it's a star circuit.
Could the problem lie on the cable quality? I have good quality cables running from the LNB receiving from Astra 28.2°E (90db) and lesser quality cable running from the LNB receiving from Astra 19.2°E (quad cable 60 or 70 db).

Regards Keith D.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Unless that is one of the new batch of multiswitches which can use quad LNBs (most of them can't), then that is probably your problem, also as I said, if you are using digiboxes, then the Sky input, needs to be DiseqC A.

Keith D

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Germany
Hello Rolfw,

I checked if my multi switch is compatible to receive from two Quad LNB's and found that it is. My multi switch is the Switch Master SME 980AA-NT 9/8.
Any ideas?

Best regards Keith D.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Can you reproduce what it says Keith, as I've searched on Google and it doesn't mention in any of the pages I've seen (although they are all in German) that it is. If it is compatible, then it will normally state it very clearly.

Keith D

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Germany
Hello Rolfw,

I have attached the info about my Switch Master multi switch.
Further info on my LNB's; I have two Chess Quattro Platinum Series - 0,2 dB 40mm feed.

Best regards Keith D.

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    75 KB · Views: 28
  • Doc2.doc
    61 KB · Views: 32

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
OK, Keith, looks like you have the correct LNBs for the Switch, how did you check that the ports were connected to the correct inputs on the switch, ie: Horizontal Low to Horizontal Low?

Keith D

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Germany
Hi Rolf,
I have colour coded cables so it was quite easy to connect the cables to the correct port.
What is strange, when I dismount the LNB for Astra 28.2°E from the dish, I can receive all the channels from the other dish receiving from Astra 19.2°E. I don't have to do anything the signal strength simply returns. It's as if the LNB for Astra 28.2°E is interfering with the other LNB.
Regards Keith.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Well the dishes are close together, but that normally shouldn't make any difference. It could of course be a problem with the multiswitch, although I've never heard of one like it.