Lost ITV and Channel 5 in Malaga Southern Spain

interested newbie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
A very ordinary dish and lnb, 1 metre, 13 years old.
My Location
Tavira Portugal
andrewcrawford said:
Which i understand and it why i will try work out the beam and possible size needed in fringe areas to try help expats potential get it back if they want to try the dish sizes but i wont say wha ti think will be required until i see more receptions report i dnt want ot get people hopes up but i would say for example costa del sol would be looking at 4-5m to get good reception including in rain etc
Algarve has always had better reception than Costa del Sol so maybe a bit less for us.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
It may have always had better in thas past but that doesnt mean anything with a new satellite and different weak areas.

Juan69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Ariva, Samsung and Comag PVR 2 100CL
3 dishes, 80cm, 100cm, 140cm
My Location
Murcia - Costa Blanca.
Do not forget BBC Entertainment range of channels which are overseas specific, although you do need a subscription.

Hixxy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800/7020Si/7000S, VU+ Duo, Skybox F3 & F5, TM1000D, Skystar 2 DVBdream, Triax TD110, Darkmotor, Inverto Black, Hotbird 13 Zone 2 MK 4, 28.2 Zone 1 MK4
My Location
East Midlands
A good website for streaming the Freeview channels is tvcatchup.com
It's 100% free but you'll need a vpn/proxy to view the channels outside of the UK.

Very sorry admins, not sure why the links keep going live. I'm using paste as plain text etc.

Hixxy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800/7020Si/7000S, VU+ Duo, Skybox F3 & F5, TM1000D, Skystar 2 DVBdream, Triax TD110, Darkmotor, Inverto Black, Hotbird 13 Zone 2 MK 4, 28.2 Zone 1 MK4
My Location
East Midlands
And another

:)
-www.tvpc.com/ChannelList.php

[warning]Disabling works ok for me![/warning]

Juan69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Murcia - Costa Blanca.
Hixxy1 said:
A good website for streaming the Freeview channels is tvcatchup.com
It's 100% free but you'll need a vpn/proxy to view the channels outside of the UK.

Very sorry admins, not sure why the links keep going live. I'm using paste as plain text etc.
TVcatchup tend to block VPNs.

Juan69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Murcia - Costa Blanca.
This works very well for me

_www.adtelly.tv

[Warning]No Live Links, please: See Forum Rules. I've disabled this one.[/warning]

Jonty83

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Freesat
My Location
Aragon, Spain
Thanks everyone. I will answer your comments:

I have to measure the dish..as it is a beautiful day today, that is one job!! I think it is 1,2. Set up correctly? I have no idea, I think so. They were Spanish guys who had never installed an English system before, but they seemed to know what they were doing. It has worked perfectly for 2 years, except in high wind or with rain. I can watch 24 hours a day, with no loss during the evenings (whihc would be annoying). One of the engineers is now a friend of mine, so we should be able to sort this out..I told him money was no object!!! I have one worry, that the situation can be solved or not? The worst case scenario would be that no size of dish worked..is that possible?

Can my friend visit with some of his "toys" to check what size dish is required? We don´t have to buy a dish and then see if it works or not? A 1,8 dish would be an investment, that I would not want to have to throw away...

Thanks once again chaps...because I am very worried about this...

Juan69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Murcia - Costa Blanca.
General consensus is to wait until around 18th December when the changes will be made. Don´t go spending until the extent of the changes is known.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Juan69 said:
General consensus is to wait until around 18th December when the changes will be made. Don´t go spending until the extent of the changes is known.

Thai is merely the next phase of changes to 2F (Give or take the exact date): There are more new Birds due, too ............

Jonty83

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Freesat
My Location
Aragon, Spain
Thanks, I thought the change over for BBC and ITV was scheduled for sometime between Feb and May next year? You are saying that it might be before Christmas? I understood they had to put another new satellite up.

But can my friend with his electronics gadgets check what signal strength is coming through and therefore what dish will be required? I thought he could test the Channel 5 channels now as these are the ones that have been "lost".

By the way I have just measured my dish (not easy due to its position and I suffer from vertigo) and horizontally it is between 1m and 1,2m. The dish is called Sateliite Rover. The LNB I have no idea. I have 2 I believe so that I can make full use of the Humax. The cable is not too long, going into my attic. I have cable in the house because I have separate Humax decoders in the attic, living room and cellar. I have no idea if the quality of the LNBs, dish and cable is good or not, all I know is that until now I have had no problem at all for 2 years, even in the evenings for example.

Thanks guys....

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
No-one (apart from SES & the broadcasters) knows exactly what the date will be for the BBC & main ITV migration. No official dates have been published yet.

The 16th/18th December dates have been spreading for a week or so but I suspect they are the Chinese whispers variety of news where if its repeated on enough forums and by enough people then it takes on its own variety of truth.

The other thing to remember is that things are going to be changing until mid 2014 when the third new Astra 2 comes into service!

Jonty83

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Freesat
My Location
Aragon, Spain
Analogue,

Thanks....but could my friend check what signal is coming through for the Channel 5 channels?

Thanks

Jonty

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Yes, but things will certainly change again next year when 2E comes into service simply because even if 2E is absolutely identical to 2F in all ways she will be parked a few dozen miles away, so the nulls and peaks will be shifted slightly.

Jonty83

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Freesat
My Location
Aragon, Spain
Thanks very much!!! I just hope that it will work even if I have to get a 2,4m dish!!! I think I can just about fit a 1,8m in the same place, but 2,4m would have to have a special installation or be put in the garden!!! The worst case scenario would be the impossibility to have any channels whatever the size of the dish...

Someone said that maybe SKY will decide to put their channels in the UK spot beam.....I would organise a subscription to Sky in that case, assuming one can see all the BBC and ITV channels through them too?

Your help is very much appreciated.... :-)

Jonty83

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Freesat
My Location
Aragon, Spain
Sorry, I meant to say:

Someone said that maybe SKY will NOT decide to put their channels in the UK spot beam

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Sky and Freesat boxes look at the same free BBC/ITV/Ch4/Ch5 channels, so subscribing to Sky won't make any difference to those.

The exception at the moment is Channel 4 Northern Ireland, E4 Northern Ireland, More 4 Northern Ireland, Channel 5 HD and ITV 2 HD, ITV 3 HD and ITV 4 HD which are currently broadcast on the wider beams and encrypted. Only the ITV HD channels and E4/More4 are pay channels, the others are FTV. But with these new satellites freeing up more space there's a good chance the Northern Ireland channels will eventually go free on a spot beam (and probably Channel 5 HD too).

Hughes

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Foxsat HDR, Samsung Sky+ HD, Skybox, Fransat HD box, Fransat SD box
Several dishes up to 150cm, receiving 28E 26E 19E 13E 9E 5W
My Location
Lugo, Galicia, Spain
I too am running a Humax Freesat set-up, and one of the ploys I resort to is changing my postcode.Let me explain. If I discover that for example ITV 1 Central East is on a "stronger" transponder for fringe reception in my location than say my preferred region of Yorks East, then ! would change to an imaginary postcode in Nottingham, for example NG2 1BB. This gives me a better signal on channel 103. BBC1 is no problem as every region has a dedicated channel number. BBC2 can also be set to England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, for channel 102´which will be useful unless they are all on the same transponder. Also HD and SD versions can and do vary in strength. For LNBs I use Inverto Black Ultra single and twin, but not quad, which in my experience is inferior out here on the fringe. Sky carry BBC and ITV etc, but they are the same transponders and frequencies, so nothing to be gained, except that some channels, such as 5HD, ITV2,3,4HD are only on Sky, are encrypted so it might be a good idea to have at least a basic Sky subscription, but HD. Hope this is of use!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Jonty83 said:
Sorry, I meant to say:

Someone said that maybe SKY will NOT decide to put their channels in the UK spot beam
Its a reasonable assumption that the pay channels will be on the Pan European wide beams