Lost ITV and Channel 5 in Malaga Southern Spain

fincaman

fincaman
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky,1x Pace HD Box,2x Pace Boxes,1.3m Dish,Quad LNB,Satlook Micro G2,Ladder.
My Location
Malaga
Hello all, I have suddenly lost ITV (yorks east) and channel 5 in the Malaga area, a friend of mine said she read in the paper that this was going to happen is this true or have I got a dish fault the signal looks and locks great.

Regards

Kevin

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
No problem with your dish or your equipment bud - those channels have moved onto the tight uk beam on Astra 2F - plenty of reports if you look around the fringe reception sections for Sky & Freesat

http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/409-sky-freesat-fringe-reception/

Unfotunately you seem to be in a poor signal area - there havent been any successful reports on this forum for Malaga area yet.

I shall put your report onto the map Im compiling - see my sig - as all reports positive and negative tell us a bit more

Ive moved this to the Sky/Freesat fringe section

fincaman

fincaman
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Malaga
I can Still get ITV London and ch 5 HD so it's only inconvenient rather than disastrous . My HD box is authorized for Yorkshire but my two boxes in the other letting villas are free to air so they get ITV fine, I don't know which ITV they default to. Is there anything I can do to get them back ? Are there any new LNBs or would it meen a bigger dish ?

Regards

Kevin

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Bigger dish - but we dont know how big yet.

Expect all the PSB families of channels to be lost early next year when they switch over to the new satellites.

buckshee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.9M dish dual C120 O.3 lnb with sky box and humax hdr . (28.2 East) Also 135CM dish pointed at Nilesat (7 west) BEIN Sports HD
My Location
El Saladillo, 30875,Murcia, Spain
fincaman said:
I can Still get ITV London and ch 5 HD so it's only inconvenient rather than disastrous . My HD box is authorized for Yorkshire but my two boxes in the other letting villas are free to air so they get ITV fine, I don't know which ITV they default to. Is there anything I can do to get them back ? Are there any new LNBs or would it meen a bigger dish ?

Regards

Kevin
Without a viewing card my sky box defaults to BBC1 London and ITV 1 West Midlands

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
I think newer HD boxes now always remember the last card used in them.

fincaman

fincaman
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Malaga
Thanks for all your help and lets hope that we don't need to big a dish to get our channels back

Regards

Kevin

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
How big do you consider too big?? You are almost certainly looking at 2.4m MINIMUM in Malaga now - possibly quite a bit bigger!

andrewcrawford

Reaction score
Website
www.computersupportservicescs.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Dual DVB-2S computer system and DUal Qbox HD Mini with oscam
My Location
scotland
fincaman said:
Thanks for all your help and lets hope that we don't need to big a dish to get our channels back

Regards

Kevin
no offense to expats but it was your decision to leave the uk, so by leaving you forfeited your right to the channels you think are yours, that like saying if i move to america its my right to receive channels i got in the uk im not i either dnt move or accept whats available there

interested newbie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
A very ordinary dish and lnb, 1 metre, 13 years old.
My Location
Tavira Portugal
andrewcrawford said:
no offense to expats but it was your decision to leave the uk, so by leaving you forfeited your right to the channels you think are yours, that like saying if i move to america its my right to receive channels i got in the uk im not i either dnt move or accept whats available there
Of course we know that. We had only World Service radio when we moved abroad but after 15 years of TV we have got used to having TV. I'm sure we'd be happy with radio 4 from the computer again, it'll just take a bit of getting used to. The other thing is, although I don't pay Sky anything I would be more than happy to pay a BBC license fee if they could work something out for us expats.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
They wont.

You might want to try a vpn and watch the UK tv via the BBC & ITV iplayers

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
And, without wishing to set off yet another License debate, despite the fact that the revenue from the UK TV Licence goes to the BBC, the purpose of the Licence is to permit the use of equipment capable of receiving TV - ANY TV- in the UK.

It therefore has no relevance outside the UK.

andrewcrawford

Reaction score
Website
www.computersupportservicescs.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Dual DVB-2S computer system and DUal Qbox HD Mini with oscam
My Location
scotland
interested newbie said:
Of course we know that. We had only World Service radio when we moved abroad but after 15 years of TV we have got used to having TV. I'm sure we'd be happy with radio 4 from the computer again, it'll just take a bit of getting used to. The other thing is, although I don't pay Sky anything I would be more than happy to pay a BBC license fee if they could work something out for us expats.
Which i understand and it why i will try work out the beam and possible size needed in fringe areas to try help expats potential get it back if they want to try the dish sizes but i wont say wha ti think will be required until i see more receptions report i dnt want ot get people hopes up but i would say for example costa del sol would be looking at 4-5m to get good reception including in rain etc

fincaman

fincaman
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Malaga
Hello again, well what a hornets nest but the one thing that I don't understand is why there is talk of a dish costing £3000, after all we are only talking about a piece of light guage steel whacked by a great mould in 1 sec flat, after tooling costs they would cost next to nothing to produce

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Rigidity, precision, weight, supply chain costs etc.

I agree that the raw material cost should not be outrageous, but sizeable dishes come in a wide range of qualities and like everything else, you get what you pay for.

eg Fortec Star 2.4M dish = Latent origami!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Economies of scale fincaman - 60 & 80 cm dishes are cheap as chips as millions are produced every year.

Big dishes are the other end of the scale - only a few thousand will be made by a limited number of companies.

The other thing to note is that the quality of the big dishes varies greatly - some are made from low grade steel and deform easily in strong winds.

Jonty83

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Freesat
My Location
Aragon, Spain
Dear Everyone,

I am new on this forum because untill now I have had no problem with reception. I am in Aragon (Zaragoza) and I have a 1,2m dish and a Humax decoder. I have lost all Channel 5 channels, although they all still shown in the channel list. I am even more worried with this comment:

"Expect all the PSB families of channels to be lost early next year when they switch over to the new satellites".

PSB means Public Service Broadcast I presume...channels such as BBC and ITV?

The solution is a bigger dish? So I will have to go from 1,2 to 2,4? I thought that being in Aragon would be an advantage over everyone living in Southern Spain.

Any advice to a non-expert would be most welcome, so I can start planning...

Thanks

Jonty

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
A larger dish may be the answer but not as large as 2.4m.

But first you need to have your 1.2m dish (is that measured horizontally or vertically?) looked at to make sure that it is set up as accurately as possible.

What make of dish is it? What LNB is fitted? Do you know how long your cable feed is and what quality it is? Is the cable run continuous or are there joins?

And yes, PSB means the Beeb, ITV, et al.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Hi Jonty - unfortunately from the limited info we have available so far the Zaragoza / Barcelona area seems to be in a reception blackspot.

If you have a look at the map Im creating - link in my sig - southern France is OK, madrid is ok on reasonable sized dishes and south of Valebcia seems to be ok as well.

At the moment we havent had any successful reports from around the Barcelona / Zaragoza area so we cant advise you with any accuracy. Hopefully we will get a positive report in the not too distant future and you will get some idea of the dish size you will need.

On the map - pink pins with no dot are unsuccessful or very poor reception reported on whatever sized of dish is noted on the pin info.

interested newbie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
A very ordinary dish and lnb, 1 metre, 13 years old.
My Location
Tavira Portugal
Analoguesat said:
They wont.

You might want to try a vpn and watch the UK tv via the BBC & ITV iplayers
Yes, I have done that if I've missed an episode of something I was following and it works very well, thanks.