Lost Sky Planner and all contents

Sat Sergeant

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.3 metre dish quad LNB Thompson and Pace Sky plus
My Location
Peyia, Cyprus
Can anyone suggest cause. Went out left Sky+ on (for dog as it keeps him company). two recordings were programmed. When we came back box was in standby, message system error came up with usual phone number. All previously recorded programmes had disappeared, sky planner empty. Tried planner rebuild nothing had to do complete system reset. My wife is most upset as all her recorded programmes are gone, quite a lot.
as you can see living in Cyprus with Sky+ times two with multi room for last two years Wow!! Gave them big sob story before we moved out no telephone only mobile and skype, seemed to work.
Today second box went pop and into standby but eventually rebooted and everything still there. We use default transponder 12207 which we have to check regularly.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Possible cause is when you went out, the dog may have deleted all the recorded programs and then eaten the viewing card :-rofl2 LOL :D :D

Can you still view paid channels?

Sat Sergeant

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Peyia, Cyprus
Thanks Satelliteman
Dog not guilty. Yes we have full sky package using UK address and can still view all paid channels.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Not too sure, I have not seen a total loss of recorded programmes saved in the planner.

Possibly a software bug maybe.

Someone else here may be able to help further :)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Normally a sign of HD failure but as satelliteman says assumed to be caused by a software bug, but yes I can understand it if the two programs overlapped time wise, doesn't help you though...I am not aware of anyway to recover the missing programmes. I have seen info on here telling people to completely reformat HD from menu, that is assuming the unit still thinks it has one, I hope there was nothing too important on there.

Was there a minor power outage, I ask because I know the infrastructure is not as solid in Cyprus as it is in the UK.

Sat Sergeant

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Peyia, Cyprus
Thanks Topper.
Investigation has brought information to light that this happened to a friends box exactly the same time and day on my two boxes when on and not in standby on two occasions.
No problem with power as both boxes are fed from fully working UPS supplys all the time. Must be some sort of signal as the boxes are two different makes and different EPG versions. Might be caused by software updates trying to get thro as we don't get 11788 have to use 12207 as default transponder.
Full reset on both boxes and on our friends seems to have cured problem at moment. Unlikely to be hard disk failure on three boxes all at the same time I hope. How do I replace hard disk just in case for future reference?

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
How old is your skyplus box? I remember mine playing up after a couple of years. It would freeze up and I had to unplug and power on again to cure. I changed the drive and all was cured.From other peoples experiences when drives start to go the digibox might not come out of standby for a while or intermittently lose signal.
One customer the other day had a strange problem with her skyplus. While recording one channel and then changing to another channel,the screen was blank/no signal but you could here the sound of the channel being recorded.Could not reset the box because she didn't want to lose unviewed recordings, and tried powering off and on a couple of times,but no signal on second input. I visited her a week later because she had break up on channels that should not break up(she has a 4.3m dish) didn't find problem with dish but after powering off then on all functions started working again.
I think your receiver had a "glitch" and rebooted itself.

Sat Sergeant

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Peyia, Cyprus
Thanks Zorba
Keeping fingers crossed, all seems to be ok on both receivers, they are both at least 3 years old if not more, came with us from UK. How do I replace hard disk if required any knowledge or point me to right direction.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Sat Sergeant said:
Thanks Zorba
Keeping fingers crossed, all seems to be ok on both receivers, they are both at least 3 years old if not more, came with us from UK. How do I replace hard disk if required any knowledge or point me to right direction.

Are the recordings OK or not?
If they are not accessable anymore, perhaps it is possible to recover them with HDD recovery software and then make a backup DVD out of them.
Do you know or does anybody know which file format they are ? is it like the Dreambox *.ts format?
If you have technical capabilities, open the box and see what type of HDD is in use. Type the make and model number.
As the box is old, it might be difficult to get the exact model to replace it.
The software might recognize a hard disk that is not the recommended one. So don't invest unless you are sure about which models can be installed.
I use a DVD recorder with HDD and output all the valuable recordings as DVD directly from the DVR.

Sat Sergeant

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Peyia, Cyprus
Recordings are working ok now on both boxes, all previous were lost when I had to do full system reset. Might take your advice and get DVD/HDD recorder have old DVD recorder but its bit of a dinosaur to use

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Sat Sergeant said:
Recordings are working ok now on both boxes, all previous were lost when I had to do full system reset. Might take your advice and get DVD/HDD recorder have old DVD recorder but its bit of a dinosaur to use

Get a new DVR with HDD 250-500GB is recommended. They have better editting software than few years ago.
I can record for many hours and then divide the recording according to the titles and get rid of all the commercials in between.
Then output them all in DVD with fast copy.