Lost thread - Moving minidish to 13E

AndyGB30

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None yet
My Location
UK
Evening All

A couple of days ago I found a thread that detailed how to move a Sky minidish from it's normal Astra position to point at Hotbird 13E instead, but now despite using the search option I can't find it.

Edited to add that the directions were very simple ie move it x number of centemeteres to the left or right and a tiny bit up or down, so nothing overly technical.

As I have a redundant minidish I thought I would give this a go and have bought myself an old PC receiver to test it on but as I can't find the thread I'm stuck ! Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Cheers

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
TBH m8, it's all a bit of guesswork without a meter/beeper (which only costs a tenner BTW).

Get a compass (or even a protractor!) and swing it around 15 degrees to the right when viewed from BEHIND the dish, as Astra2 is 28.2E and Hotbird is 13E (28 - 13 = 15). Tweak it up a little as well (a degree or two).

Keep alternating between up/down and left/right while checking signal strength and making ever decreasing adjustments.

Go a little at a time, and wait for 5 seconds between each move, as the receiver can take a little while to 'compose' itself.

Also, try and mark where it was to start with, so you can put it back if you so choose (errr, or get nowhere :( )

STICK

Yeshi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dm500, TM9100, Samsung V+, 1M Dish. Motect 2100..
37Inch Plasma, Wii, Xbox360.
My Location
Behind pin 9 on an atmel
Use a sky box mate.

Put telly where you can see it( though a window)

Loosen the dish so you can move the dish up and down.. (not to loose just slightly)

Go into Signal test, this should show where you are.. ideally you want to be on 28.2.

Look at the Network Id.

Now picture yourself behind the dish lookin towards 28.2 slowly move the dish to the right and the network id should change to blank..

I personaly would move bird to bird..

So when moving and you network id changes to 19e then move more to the right and you will get 13e showing in the network id..

When you get it nearly there.. so it shows 13e.. tighten up.. then proceed to using you pc to tweak the dish to the desired strenght.

Once you know where there dish should be its a peice of cake tweaking :)

AndyGB30

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None yet
My Location
UK
Thanks for your help guys, that's just the info I was looking for.

dave99

Reaction score
there is now way i mean no way you will ever pick up hotbird with a minidish
because you need a dish size of 70 or 80 cms at least to pick up hotbird
trust me because i install sat dishs in my spare time when you get the right size dish all you have to do is find astra 19.2 then move the elevation up a little bit then move the dish to hotbird:-beer

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Depends where you are dave99, in the South we can pull in Hotbird with a 55cm minidish, not the best signal in the world and subject to upset in bad weather, but it does work. :)

dave99

Reaction score
thats nice to now but i must say when do we ever have nice weather in the uk :-rofl2

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Ah, but there is a huge expanse of weather in between nice and bad. ;)