Low audio levels from the RCA audio out sockets

Dog's dinner

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM8000 HDD
My Location
Norway
I bought the Dreambox DM8000 to improve reception of satellite radio channels, in addition to TV channels naturally.

Top of my particularly listening/recording list are classical music events. So far, the Dreambox certainly has improved reception of stations like Bayern Klassik and RAI radio 3, both of were plagued with signal dropouts of about 0.004 seconds in duration - but audible nonetheless.

In addition to the built in hard drive, I've connected the Dreambox to my computer, using RCA connections from the Dreambox audio output to a computer, directly to the Asus Xonar Essence STX Headphone Amp card. I use Goldwave software for recording purposes.

What I find worrying though is the extremely low audio level of the signal from the audio out. I've tried routing the signal through an AVR (Arcam AVR 250), but it makes no difference.

The old Topfield receiver had a very decent audio out level - but as mentioned failed in other departments.

I understand from reading messages on the Internet that the audio out level is set deliberately low, and can't be changed (you need new capacitors etc. - far too advanced for me).

Is this true? Would sourcing the audio feed from the 'coaxial audio out digital' socket make any difference (I haven't got a coaxial audio cable so I can't try it as yet)?

Is there a way round this problem?:confused