Moderator & General Globetrotter
Reaction score
Website
digiboxes.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Openbox F3 85cm dish H to H motor, Dell Vostro Laptop
My Location
North West UK
Anyone have any experience of using LPG for cars?

Considerable savings possible, but would like some feedback before going ahead with a conversion.

zansi

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Biggest problem i can see is that it's not available everywher Zansi, also that Eurotunnel won't take LPG cars. Apart from that quite a few taxis and buses now run on it so it must be efficient.

Rolf

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
LPG has been "mainstream" for many years here in the Netherlands, with all kinds of commercial and private vehicles having been "converted". Conversion usually results in a switch LPG<>Petrol. You don't lose the petrol option, so any difficulty in finding LPG is a non-issue, but in much of mainland Europe, LPG is on virtually every forecourt anyway.

They always reckoned here that you broke even if you drove about 20000+ km per year, but that equation obviously depends on the overal cost of motoring which is different in each country (taxes, subsidies, etc.). In NL for example, the annual road tax is much more expensive for an LPG vehicle, but LPG itself is much cheaper than petrol. I think insurance is slightly more expensive.
The only restrictions here (NL) are on parking. LPG vehicles are allowed in some but not all "indoor" carparks.
You'll also lose some boot space (the LPG tank usually goes in the boot).

2old

p

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm gregorian
5way zone2
My Location
Rainham, essex
A down side I can see is it gives you slightly less power.

This isn't too much of a propblem unless your into going every where as fast as possible. Like me!!!

Phil.